Geddes on Waveguides

Sorry if this was OT, but I just thought it worthwhile to make people aware that smooth data using one method may not be so smooth with another. Some people might make claims that the method they use is more revealing. The Angelo Farina's method seems to claim better noise rejection, but whether there is any other difference would be very controversal and yield hand waving statements. After reading the documents from the links provided by Jean-Michel, I am not convinced it's the best method for all purposes. The "state-of-art" blanket description for this method could be misleading.

Now that I have voiced this, I'd be glad to get back on topic.:)

soongsc said:
Don't know why you continue to provide opinions on a topic you don't want to clutter the read with. But if one understands how diffraction patterns differ with different acoustic signals, it is quite obvious why we see the differences in measurements.

I do that because it amazes me how you will keep saying things that are more and more ridiculous just to be the last word. Like the last sentence above, completely ridiculous. You claim something that is not even true ( "diffraction patterns differ with different acoustic signals ..." - truth: diffraction is independent of the acoustic signal) is "obvious".

gedlee said:

Matlab is well known for its graphics, but also its price.

I am willing to bet that anything that you can do with Matlab can be done in MathCAD.
MathCAD also has an algebra processor which MatLab does not.

Sorry for the OT but I had to mention that I buy MathCAD out of my own pocket even though Matlab is free to me for the simple reason that the interface is so intuitive.

soongsc said:

Truth is in the mind of the believer. Can't argue with that. Just like the truth is there is a God.
Even if I show data signifying diffraction effects, you will not provide data on the contrary. So no need for further discussion.

Start another thread. This is simply too ridiculous to respond in this thread. I would ask the moderators to move this and any further posts on this topic to another thread should any arise.

Dave

Hello,
gedlee said:
I would want the impulse responses exactly like Farina shows them in his paper - as raw data that can be read into another program for further analysis - with the higher order harmonics leading the linear one. This would allow for some very useful analysis. All these packages do too much of what I don't want and not eneough of what I do. None of them does polar maps.
see chapter 9.1.2 and the following, please.
Regards, Timo

Hello,

For what its worth, here a paper on acoustic impedance of open cell foam with a comparison to glass fiber.

http://www.akustikforschung.de/pdf/huebelt_impedance_measurement_ICSV2005.pdf

Additionally here is a link to 2 papers on the subject of FEM acoustic analysis of open cell foam.

"Finite element frequency-domain acoustic analysis of open-cell plastic foams"

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1138976

"Three-dimensional finite element frequency domain acoustic analysis of open cell plastics foams"
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18264561

Best regards rfom Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

doug20 said:
The Foam insert? can we DIY our own.

Im matching up waveguides with TD12 drivers from AE. Im thinking about using DDS 1-90 waveguide, no compression driver picked yet.

The type of foam Dr. Geddes uses has been discussed before in this long set of posts, as well as ways to buy it. However, it would be my suggestion that you simply consider buying Dr. Geddes raw wave guide with foam plug, as it will be easier. There is really good measured data on Dr. Geddes waveguide showing just how good it really is. I've not seen comparable data for the DDS model, nor, due to it's size, can it be used as low in frequency. The foam is stupidly expensive, unfortunately, and not so easy to cut to the profile of the waveguide. If it was me, I would simply buy it all pre-done, as it's quite a bit easier, and you will have a better end product.

The foam used by Dr. Geddes is open cell reticulated polypropylene foam with I believe 30 ppi, or maybe 60, I don't recall an exact number. If I can be so crude it describing it, it looks and feels identical to filter foam used in foam auto filter, air filters, fish tank filters, etc. The biggest problem is sourcing it is that you basically need a block in which an ice cream cone shape equal to the size of the waveguide can fit within. This means foam that is something like 12" square in the case of the DDS, and bigger for Dr. Geddes larger wave guides. When I tried pricing it, I was given prices in the many 100's of dollars through manufacturers, as they all had minimums.