High-End DIY Three Way Speaker

We were simply a group of hifi-guys who met, and one of them brought his new DIY speaker. It used the slightly bigger Fusion FA253 for a Scanspeak tweeter, 6" Satori midrange and two
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SB SW26DBAC76-3-DV.When playing a little loud, the subwoofers started to sound a very weird. It simply sounded like the amplifier ran out of juice. But it should be noted, that I cannot remember how he hooked up the drivers. They both went in and out at the same time - placed opposite the cabinet - but what impedance the amplifier saw, I simply can't remember.
[/FONT]

Hi :) I was also at the meeting. I hope we can meet again soon :D

My memory also have some holes in that situation, but I agree on the sound and I think the reason is this:
The cabinet was VERY small per the design-contraints I think around 10-14 liters and also I think there was to much added boost in the button.

The amplifier was used to its absolute max in that situation tapping almost every watt out of it.

From my on experience, I have zero complaints about Hypex Fusion amps. No doubt better than miniDSP :)

Ps. I will never forget how the big ones with dayton 15" made most in the room rattle. Even that big amplifier needed a break haha!

Last edited:
Hi :) I was also at the meeting. I hope we can meet again soon :D

My memory also have some holes in that situation, but I agree on the sound and I think the reason is this:
The cabinet was VERY small per the design-contraints I think around 10-14 liters and also I think there was to much added boost in the button.

The amplifier was used to its absolute max in that situation tapping almost every watt out of it.

From my on experience, I have zero complaints about Hypex Fusion amps. No doubt better than miniDSP :)

Ps. I will never forget how the big ones with dayton 15" made most in the room rattle. Even that big amplifier needed a break haha!
I sure hope so too - we already have smaller meetings here and there :)
Oh... thats true... it was boosted a lot and very small volume behind the drivers. I do not bash the Fusion amps - think they are great - everything has it's limits though :D

Yes - the Dayton makes awesome drivers, that I can't see anyone else do. Our problem with the Behringer EP4000, was the active cooling that we fiddled with, to make it less noisy. Apparently the design has changed and no longer allowed for this tweak. Normally, these amplifiers do not quit before making your ears bleed :D
Let's not pollute this thread with this - feel free to write to me if you want to hear more :)

@digitalthor: Thanks for explanation, and yes, no more OT from my side here.

@EirikDyrset: Great choice for Mid and Tweeter!

About woofer, I do not think the SB29 is on par with the satori. It plays some great bass below 100 hz, but is has some fat sound around 100-200 hz, that I could not get rid off.
Keep in mind there is a newer version that I have not tried.

I would pick two 9.5 Satori-woofers!

Have you thought making subwoofer(s) to supplement your "Sound-bar"?

BTW: Great finish on your speakers!

Last edited:
@digitalthor: Thanks for explanation, and yes, not more OT from my side here.

@EirikDyrset: Great choice for Mid and Tweeter!

About woofer, I do not think the SB29 is on par with the satori. It plays some great bass below 100 hz, but is has some fat sound around 100-200 hz, that I could not get rid off.
Keep in mind there is a newer version that I have not tried.

I would pick two 9.5 Satori-woofers!

Have you thought making subwoofer(s) to supplement your "Sound-bar"?

BTW: Great finish on your speakers!

@ Rokytheman: Thanks for your message!

Ok, thanks for your considerations! So you rather pick two 9.5" satori-woofers instead of the 12" SB34?

And thanks for the kind comment about my speakers! Did you mean adding a woofer to the soundbar of ash I posted a picture of?

Last edited:
Was just a hint that the plans you have in mind is kind of a "huge sound bar" :D

No, I would place a subwoofer some other place than in the furniture. This is to get more even bass and to pressure the listening position even better. Have you tested if your current sound-bar give great sound where you plan your new speaker?

I have not tested the 12" woofer, så have no idea how it sounds.

The build you have in mind look great, but to be honest I also think you will not get to hear the full potential of the drivers you have in mind. I would build the furniture, so that the speakers can be changed later.

Another option is to buy some decent used speaker 2way-speakers and combine them with a woofer of your own choice.

Thanks for your message @rokytheman!

Yes, I have tested my current sound bar it the same position and it delivers good sound given the design.

Hmm, OK, I am also worried about if the tv bench can unleash the full potential of the drivers. What is your biggest concern regarding my design?

So, I have been searching for speaker drivers and gone a lot back and forth over the last days. I have decided to expand my budget a little, and here is my current driver setup:

- SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8, Looking for a SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8 woofer? - SoundImports

- Scan-Speak Illuminator 18WU/8741T00, Looking for a Scan-Speak 18WU/8741T00 woofer? - SoundImports

- Scan-Speak Illuminator D3004/662000, Looking for a Scan-Speak D3004/662000 tweeter? - SoundImports

What do you guys in here think about this setup?

18WU makes very good midrange driver, I used it in one of my projects, see my measurement in enclosure in the attachment. Breakups are very mild, but it is better to keep crossover <2kHz. I added SS6600 in WG, crossover ~1700Hz LR4. Sound quality of the midrange was very good, transparent, crispy, vivid. Of course overall sound depends on quality of your measurements and crossover work, and how drivers fits together sonically.

Attachments

• 18wu.png
    18wu.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 160
  • MW16TX-8 H 0-90deg.png
    MW16TX-8 H 0-90deg.png
    236 KB · Views: 137
Last edited: