IKEA Lack Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Luca, have you measured fr response? Just curious.

I don’t have tools to make measurements on the speakers, so honestly I can’t tell.

During the driver trials, I connected the 3 pairs to a frequency generator: as far as I remember, the 2 weak pairs stopped playing at 50 Hz, while the Visatons went lower.

The highest frequency that my ears could hear was, for all the drivers, around 15 KHz.

If I spare time, I can repeat this rough test with the new cloth for the Visaton. I'll let You know.

Ciao.
L.

I have also over the years have searched for unlikely ready made enclosures and then reverse engineer to choose the the driver. I like your solution here. I would be concerned that the Lack shelf material is vey light ( not dense) and would vibrate and resonate uncontrollably. How do you deal with this?

It could happen, as the wide walls of the shelf are only 3 mm thick ( the others are 7 - 8 mm ).
But they are glued to the polystyrene and wood inserts, that dampen all vibrations.

Anyway, if You want to be sure, You could put some dampening sheets or paint inside the shelf, or little wood blocks between the wide walls.

Ciao.
Luca

It could happen, as the wide walls of the shelf are only 3 mm thick ( the others are 7 - 8 mm ).
But they are glued to the polystyrene and wood inserts, that dampen all vibrations.

Anyway, if You want to be sure, You could put some dampening sheets or paint inside the shelf, or little wood blocks between the wide walls.

Ciao.
Luca

Or maybe the side panel resonance could enhance LF response, like the Reso cabinet for the famous Saba Greencone loudspeakers ;)

Frequency response ( roughly speaking … )

I don’t have tools to make measurements on the speakers, so honestly I can’t tell.

During the driver trials, I connected the 3 pairs to a frequency generator: as far as I remember, the 2 weak pairs stopped playing at 50 Hz, while the Visatons went lower.

The highest frequency that my ears could hear was, for all the drivers, around 15 KHz.

If I spare time, I can repeat this rough test with the new cloth for the Visaton. I'll let You know.

Ciao.
L.

With my “professional” tools: a DIY frequency generator, a TA2024 Amp and my ears, at an ordinary volume level, the results were as follows:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- connected to Lack loudspeaker with Visaton driver:
Fmax: 12.5 KHz

fmin: 42 Hz at the same level of the higher frequencies, then the volume lowered but I could still hear something till 15 Hz

- connected to a cheap 1” full range driver:
Fmax: 12.5 KHz

fmin: 150 Hz at the same level of the higher frequencies, then the volume lowered but I could still hear something till 55 Hz

Ciao.
Luca

Hi,

Being so narrow they will almost certainly have balance issues
in the upper midrange that must be addressed by a filter, can
be line level or speaker level. 15Hz ? Not a hope in hell.

Measurements rather than claims are always very sobering.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.