Input buffer for LuDEF, SissySIT and similar amplifiers

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that would be Babelfishing Babelfished Babelfish

:rofl:

Tombo - are you old enough to remember na ratluku nacrtana devojka koja u ruci drzi ratluk na kojem je nacrtana devojka koja u ruci drzi ratluk na kojem je nacrtana devojka koja u ruci drzi ratluk na kojem je nacrtana devojka koja u ruci drzi ratluk na kojem je nacrtana devojka koja u ruci drzi ratluk na kojem je .......

well, there is no available smiley to show level of hysterical laugh now .........

Joined 2019
Paid Member
BOM is attached as excel file and as Mouser shared basket. There are some odd values and unnecessary tight tolerances, but they are result of parts availability.
Mouser shared basket

C3 & C4 can be any decent electrolytic capacitors for 16 V or more. High quality low leakage types are preferred.
C6 & C7 again nothing critical except 25V or more.
C13 & C14 could be any low ESR 220-330 uF capacitors with 25V or higher rating. Though, I prefer hybrid polymer capacitors for supply lines as they combine best of both worlds: low leakage, low ESR, long life, high ripple capacity.
Ceramic capacitor can be used for C5 on condition that it is C0G type. Film type is preferred.

RCA socket can be purchased from this (highly recommended) seller: RCA sockets

That one is intended for placement as on first picture. But pins can be straightened and it can be used mounted at 90 degrees angle. I did just that. Soldered with only 2 pins it is little wobbly, but that is cured by little hot glue at its sides (not visible anyway).
Proper RCA type for 90 degrees placement can be found at Audiophonics site. It is several times more expensive.
Audiophonics

Attachments

• Buffer_BOM_29_01_22.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 78
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Changing buffer gain
Buffer gain is determined by usual voltage divider formula as 1 + R12/R11.
In example, with BOM values gain will be 1.33 x (1 + 330/1000). For 2x gain R12 should be 1000 Ω.
Input impedance can be changed with R6 and 100 KΩ is OK as well.

In the BOM, some C's are duplicates.
Are my changes correct?

Attachments

• BOM_Buffer.jpg
    BOM_Buffer.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 67
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you tombo for this project idea and the effort and thought you've put into it. Looks really well done and easy to implement. It looks like you've covered all the bases here and has me re-thinking my plan with my gainstage. I guess maybe I should try and finish my rebuild already in process, and build your input buffer with some gain as an alternate and see what I like.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
In the BOM, some C's are duplicates.
Are my changes correct?
Yes, you are right. Thanks for noticing.

After rows copy-paste I missed to correct some fields. Correct BOM is attached and added to the first post as complete project and separate files.

Correct required number of 1 uF/50V capacitors is 8. Though, on standard FW voltages, all 1 uF capacitors can be the same 1uF/50V, so 12 pcs. covers all. Power supply input capacitors are specified as 100 V because buffer can be supplied from +- 60V source.

Those fast on trigger, if not ordering 10 capacitors (lower price level by quantity) will have to make additional order. I’m sorry for that.

Corrected Mouser shared basket

Attachments

• Buffer_BOM_30_01_22.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 73
Joined 2019
Paid Member
No problem with leaving R12 at proposed value (330 Ω) and change R11. Using 330 Ω for both R11 & R12 will provide 6 dB gain or 2x. LME49600 is very powerful and can drive low impedance loads. R11 & R12 also appear as load on output. Any reasonable combination of R11 & R12 can be used.
No reason to go with combined serial resistance of both resistors over several K or to go below several hundred Ω. All “lab” test were made with 32 Ω load.

Last edited: