Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Honestly, there really isn't much hum with cables routed as 6L6 did. Turning the knob full clockwise with an open source selected and I can't hardly hear a thing through 89dB speakers. It's a tempest in a teapot imo. Don't kill yourself if you can't find a shaft-type solution that's easy for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else sees this behavior with their multimeter. I use a Klein Tool MM 700. Today I was adjusting the DC offset of my balanced Iron Pre build. When adjusting all four pins, whenever I get to 0.6 mV and make a further adjustment, my meter goes to 0.0 mV. I can never seem to get anything more precise than 0.6 mV. It always jumps to zero. I am assuming that this is a function of my multimeter, and that the Iron Pre doesn't magically have perfect offset once you get below 0.6 mV.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a not too expensive multimeter that does not exhibit the same behavior?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Don't kill yourself if you can't find a shaft-type solution that's easy for you.

small L bracket drilled with stepped drill, 6mm Dia bar or M6 threaded bar - both from hardware store; cut with angle grinder or hand saw or nail cutter :rofl:

if there is no 6mm couple element, one can connect extending shaft with pot shaft with piece of petrol/rubber hose of 5mm ID

as proper 6mm guide for front hole - one can use disassembled front of bad pot

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried taking the meter off Auto and using the Range button to set the smallest V range? That might do the trick...
I believe in autorange function, while measuring mV only if there is rotary switch position for mV

as you have just V position, try manually changing range (press button), as 6L6 said

Thanks, Good idea, but even when setting the range manually, it jumps from 0.6 to 0.0. Oh well, I guess its a fluke of the Klein (sorry).

Good morning IPA- builders,

my backplate arrived yesterday. Made a little nightshift. The story continues slowly, but constant....
Cheers
Dirk :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IPA_backplate2.jpg
    IPA_backplate2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IPA_backplate1.jpg
    IPA_backplate1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IPA_backplate_topview.jpg
    IPA_backplate_topview.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 259