Iron Pumpkin(s) and other smaller vegetable animals, Tips 'n' Tricks thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My Nose-pockin' friend

e-mail sent

take in account that ZM despises BOM's (not originating from my self) - always making my own from schematic and pcb (file), according to my own choices and parts ordering circumstances

I believe you have all values on sch files , you have pcb in front of you - to decipher what's parts pin pitch

so, I sent you Plethora of other necessary graphical files and Eagle generated BOM - it is informative , but - as I said - for me is always easier to scribe few things on paper, already looking at schm and pcb , than staring at endless list

I'm just saying how I'm doing it ..... do not let me spoil your way of fun :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
strictly personal matter, what one is going to prefer

for me, I succeeded in ticking all boxes (important to me), and even few more, not being planned from start

practically - neutral as possible, without trace of loss of signal level energy, which is very important if you're building foot-tapping device (and entire system)

I wrote before - all sugar I need from my system, I'm getting with speakers and amp

sources and preamp - clean as possible

of course, there is always possibility of IP being used strictly as superior input select/Volume level Box- with gain set to 0db, and simply inserting preferred gain stage (in separate box) in between IP and power amp

been done in multiple examples ; Papa's H2 being newest of Sugarcubes

:clown:

Hey ZM,

I was trying to buy some IRF9530 but it's B/O almost everywhere...

I found one from Digikey but the specs are a little different than the Vishay IRF9530PBF that I usually buy...

Blocked

The major differences are
Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs = 200mOhm @ 8.4A, 10V
Gate Charge (Qg) (Max) @ Vgs = 58 nC @ 10 V
Input Capacitance (Ciss) (Max) @ Vds = 760 pF @ 25 V

Is this part ok for the Iron Turtle?

Thanks
Do

Last edited:
Hi ZM,

I received your email about skipping C4,IC1,C3 (because they're part of the Logic PSU) only after I had already populated this section...

Can I still just use a 24Vac transformer and parallel the dual secondary and use AC1 and AC2 or I should use a 24Vac transformer and series the secondary and use the series CT to CT on the PCB?

PS, All my relays are 24V

For B101 and B201, buffer supplies, I'm guessing 12Vac transformers are ok, or will the PSU have a 4V+ drop (bridge, pre-reg, post-reg) and it will be too tight? We're aiming at +/-12v output, so I'm not too sure...

Thanks
Do

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, that info is certainly buried in all of our e-mail avalanche ( and most likely present on schematics, which you have), but no worries

for relay PSU - all you really need is 24Vac (10VA Donut is OK), and you can skip CT (that being effective only for Logic PSU)

for regular audio PSU- I don't recommend using less than 30Vct ; 10VA Donut per channel is OK

there are not pre-reg an post-reg; BD transistors are CCS, while IRF transistors are shunt - in shunt regulator ....... so , just one reg (per rail, per channel)

hope that I covered it all