JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp

Pico.......

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 211
I've made some preliminary topology decisions to get Pico out of his funk. ;)

I'm going to build two. The cascoded push-pull version will be renamed SixPack and go up against Beefcake.

attachment.php

The current-mirror version gets to keep the JamJar name, but now that it no longer needs to go up against Beefcake I can make some changes to address the Early effect in the VAS. I've dropped the rail voltage to 36V, and swapped 2N5401/2N5551 into the mirrors (which have relatively high Early voltages).

attachment.php

Still noodling on the bias circuit (TL431 vs. simple trimmer) and some other details.

As always, comments welcome.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• JamJar.jpg
    JamJar.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 615
  • SixPack.jpg
    SixPack.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 551
Bias circuits

I hope pico has recovered from the trauma..............

My choice of bias circuit, for consideration , one of a couple of options but for mosfets a simple Vbe (one transistor) suffices. I am not much of a fan of the TL431, it works but sound wise ........I did not use it in the HPA-1 for a reason.

Jam

Attachments

• 414751d1398448491-cfa-topology-audio-amplifiers-dsc03207.jpg
    414751d1398448491-cfa-topology-audio-amplifiers-dsc03207.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Optimization of the Amplified-Diode Bias Circuit for Audio Amplifiers.pdf
    194.9 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember Hawksford's paper from trying to figure out the NAP250 circuit. JV had the added collector resistor, but its value was about 3X what it should have been according to Hawksford's equation. I never did square that circle....

attachment.php

Attachments

• NAP250 schematic.jpg
    NAP250 schematic.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 532
I hope pico has recovered from the trauma..............

I am not much of a fan of the TL431, it works but sound wise ........I did not use it in the HPA-1 for a reason.

Jam

Me either, I’ve been pondering about how to replace it with something more dumb, I’ve thought about green leds or zener reference with a voltage dividing trim pot.

I don’t like vbe, but that doesn’t mean there is a rational reason for the dislike, I just prefer dumb.