JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp

Spoke too soon. Still oscillates when I zero the offset....

:(

Reduce open loop gain.

Or reduce open loop bandwidth. Open loop bandwidth should be greater than 20kHz, but you probably don't want more than 200kHz open loop bandwidth.
If you run output stage free of feedback then it gets a little easier making everything stable.

Or reduce both open loop gain and open loop bandwidth.

This is where the CCS or resistors that are used wiil matter, along with more or less degeneration, etc.
Maybe increase gate stoppers at input stage as well as on lateral mosfets.

Increase input stage to 10mA bias current.

Use Jfet input.

Last edited:
Here's the Hitachi (including .asc file) in case anyone wants to play with it.

(Note that it still has an inverted distortion/power curve. :confused:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hitachi.jpg
    Hitachi.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 546
  • Hitachi.asc
    9.1 KB · Views: 51
(Note that it still has an inverted distortion/power curve. :confused:)

Without seeing the curve and knowing exactly what you mean, this is to be expected with a source follower output stage with out degeneration.

If you want to change this then simply apply some resistive loading to ground at the output of the VAS, to get the distortion character you want.
You should determine by ear how much is desirable.

So much difference between R3 and R7? I don't have your K1058/J162 model, it still oscillates using Cordell models.

At the time I couldn't figure out any other way to get the offset near zero.

I did later on the JFET version, but I haven't gone back and update the BJT version (and I might not as the JFET version performs better anyway).

See if this one is stable for you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hitachi_JFET.asc
    9.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Hitachi_JFET.jpg
    Hitachi_JFET.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 689
Stable, even without base resistors on 2nd diff and 33 ohm on mirror emitter resistors. I'd suggest 330 ohm gate stoppers on the jfets, cascode voltage of less than 8V to avoid high excess gate current at higher voltage and adjust R8 to ~ 5k to balance collector voltage of Q5 and Q6.

Last edited:
I also tried 6 output pairs for short-circuit survivability. It doesn't like driving all those gate resistors unless you slow down the front-end (I did manage to get it stable with 270ohm MOSFET gate resistors and 2K2 base resistors in the second LTP). The distortion specs obviously suffer a bit from this, as does the slew rate.

The right solution would no doubt be to add a driver stage as Jam suggested, but 3 stages is about all I can handle. ;)

Another option is to forego short-circuit survivability. It seems prone to instability anyway, so maybe we just name it BuzzBomb and say it is what it is. It'll probably sound great until it catches fire....

Looking pretty good Jeff.

I have a preference for discreet regulators but i this application what you have come up with is great.

You are still way ahead of most commercial designs out there. :nod:

Jam

Attachments

• Vegemite_Expat_Care_Pack_Xmas_2019-1.jpg
    Vegemite_Expat_Care_Pack_Xmas_2019-1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 110
Just reading an article by Bruno Putzeys. It includes some great broad-brush-strokes on control-theory and compensation. Highlights mine.

[An amplifier is made "faster"] by decreasing the compensation capacitor. Unfortunately we can't just do that. Both input and output stages are low-pass filters. Control theory tells us that the additional phase shift will cause the loop to go unstable if there's too much loop gain left, so we set loop gain to become less than 1 well below the corner frequencies of either the input or output stages.

Slew rate limiting means that an amplifier is trying to reproduce a very fast rate-of-change signal but can't. The maximum rate of change it can produce is determined by the current available to charge or discharge the compensation capacitor. This current is provided by the input stage and the maximum is the tail current Ib. When a faster rate of change is demanded, the input stage is overloaded and becomes completely unresponsive to any further change. At this point, the feedback loop stops working and is no longer able to control the amplifier.

Probably old-hat to most of you, but these tidbits will certainly help me next time I try to stabilise something like the Hitachi topology....

And finally, I leave you with this little gem (same source):

It's no proof of intelligence to open a debate pointing out the supposed "extremes" of the opinion spectrum and then taking some imagined middle ground. When person A says that 2+2=5 and person B says that 2+2=6, the most reasonable position to take is not five and a half. 2+2=5.5 can hardly be called moderate. In fact it is a very, very extreme claim.

Cheers,
Jeff.