JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

Joined 2020
Paid Member
You gain a little power with non-PFFB, I feel it's a bit more musical as well, and a slightly wider soundstage. PFFB mode is very clear and accurate, and I think it behaves wonderfully for movies/tv, but still great for music. My speakers are 97dB sensitive and I've noticed that non-PFFB has a very, very, quiet 18-20khz hiss if you press your ears right on the tweeter, not noticeable from say 5-6 inches away. PFFB either reduces it completely or to an inaudible level for me.

Of course these are all just personal observations from my time tinkering with my dual mono D-400M build. I am sure Lester could articulate on the differences better than I an.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 148505

Alright, we'll give that a try ....
You can try other capacitor brand / part number as well.
Sometimes I run with PFFB enabled, sometimes I don't, how would this affect PFFB use?
Can't guarantee the stability with PFFB enabled.
You gain a little power with non-PFFB, I feel it's a bit more musical as well, and a slightly wider soundstage. PFFB mode is very clear and accurate, and I think it behaves wonderfully for movies/tv, but still great for music. My speakers are 97dB sensitive and I've noticed that non-PFFB has a very, very, quiet 18-20khz hiss if you press your ears right on the tweeter, not noticeable from say 5-6 inches away. PFFB either reduces it completely or to an inaudible level for me.

Of course these are all just personal observations from my time tinkering with my dual mono D-400M build. I am sure Lester could articulate on the differences better than I an.
Sylph-D has 1.3x to 1.8x gain (depending on version) on its buffers so if the input signal chain has lots of gain, the module will amplify the noise as well. PFFB lowers the gain significantly which makes the input noise inaudible.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
You can try other capacitor brand / part number as well.

Can't guarantee the stability with PFFB enabled.

Sylph-D has 1.3x to 1.8x gain (depending on version) on its buffers so if the input signal chain has lots of gain, the module will amplify the noise as well. PFFB lowers the gain significantly which makes the input noise inaudible.

That makes sense thanks, I should also have been more clear in my previous post that at the root I think the noise is just some unavoidable HDMI ground noise and regardless of PFFB / non-PFFB, if I short the input's the amp is quiet as a mouse. Apologies for any confusion.

D

Deleted member 148505

Woohoo! Any idea when I will be able to purchase from your site/ new Sylph site?
Mono TPA3255 (Sylph-D400) is now available, stereo (Sylph-D200) will be available in December.
Both will be sold as partially assembled modules since the heatsink and inductors are heavy and will cost a lot on shipping fees.
Heatsink, inductors, and tank capacitors are not included.

https://www.jlelectronicsph.com/product/partial-kit-2pcs-sylph-d400m-tpa3255-pbtl-mono-400w-2

Compatible Inductors:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coilcraft/VER2923-682KL?qs=zCSbvcPd3pbQcwN6aa9kDQ==
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Coilcraft/AGP2923-682KL?qs=mBwMfv9Clf27JMwaQ4PHHQ==

Compatible Heatsinks:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...S-TI1OP-519-C1-R3?qs=MLItCLRbWszwQg/FPbuexg==
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...S-TI1OP-519-C1-R0?qs=MLItCLRbWswovTPLIHifUg==

Recommended tank caps:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...GAEpiMZZMvwFf0viD3Y3c5%2BJs48NCphXJ4nPwaf4sI=
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...f0viD3Y3dL55az7zhnm4JcBr%2BUmdIPVTNqtNW0Qgg==

Reactions: 1 user
My best sounding Sylph-D200 here has the following configuration.

10uF Elna Silmic II
Panasonic FC 50V 1500uF PVDD bulk caps
6.8uH Coilcraft + 0.68uF output cap.
1.5X gain (default is 1.3X)
450kHz Sw freq (default)
non-pffb
43VDC supply

The voice is very good and life-like and highs are very smooth even if I use it with my cheap chinese meanwell clone supply.

The only drastic change between the modules is the choice of output inductor and output cap. So I think for existing users, since changing the output inductors is expensive, a cheap upgrade will be the output filter caps, since it can add improvements in the sound.

Maybe I missed it but have you tried Nichicon KZ/KG/KA etc. for PVDD? If so, what were the results?

Hello JLesterP.

On the new 'Sylph-D200 MKII' PCB: why not use capacitors with a larger capacity for PVDD?

One can find for example RUBYCON 'ZLJ' 2200µF/63V (105°C) same diameter 16mm length 40mm with the following characteristics:
  • Lifetime: 10000H
  • Rejection current: 4.1 A
  • ESR: 15 mOhms

Instead of PANASONIC 'FC' or UNITED CHEMICON 'KYB' as it is written on your product presentation...

I also notice that the value of the inductors has changed: is there also a reason for this?

Apart from my questions, I congratulate you on this quite exceptional achievement (y):cool:

Regards.

D

Deleted member 148505

Hello JLesterP.

On the new 'Sylph-D200 MKII' PCB: why not use capacitors with a larger capacity for PVDD?

One can find for example RUBYCON 'ZLJ' 2200µF/63V (105°C) same diameter 16mm length 40mm with the following characteristics:
  • Lifetime: 10000H
  • Rejection current: 4.1 A
  • ESR: 15 mOhms

Instead of PANASONIC 'FC' or UNITED CHEMICON 'KYB' as it is written on your product presentation...

I also notice that the value of the inductors has changed: is there also a reason for this?

Apart from my questions, I congratulate you on this quite exceptional achievement (y):cool:

Regards.
Hi Muducu,

You can replace it with larger capacitance on PVDD with no problem or with not much change in sound quality (use quality low esr caps though).
I like using smaller PVDD caps on Sylph-D200 because the TPA3255 is already bassy, I think the sound will be more balanced if lower values are used. But generally, I can't hear the difference of using 2 vs 4 large caps. As long as the implementation / layout is correct, I think large caps are not needed. (1000uF is the minimum in datasheet, +1uF decoupling caps as close to the PVDD pins as possible).

With Sylph-D400, I retained the 4pcs caps since larger bulk capacitance will be useful on bass peaks when the module is being used as a subwoofer amp, (or playing with loud uncompressed hiphop music)

For the new inductors in Sylph-D200 MK2, they are as good as the coilcraft ones.

I used 1D17A / Codaca CPD1715 for the Sylph-D100, because they add warmth to the sound. TPA3251 tends to be more clearer / transparent in sound compared with TPA3255, so using a super transparent sounding inductors on them will not balance out the sound. (For example, if you put a bright sounding input coupling cap to a transparent sounding amp, the resulting sound will become shrill, if you put a warm sounding input coupling cap to a warm sounding amp, then the sound will become muffled). You can try to mix and match components to your liking.

Regards,
Lester

Hello Lester.

Thank you for your quick and very detailed response :cool:

Regarding the sylph MKII, I noticed that you tested different operational amps: did you test the OPA828 with HD2 dominating ?

For film-type capacitors at the HP output, what justifies the choice of those used ?
Why didn't you use WIMAs (I can't give a precise reference since I don't know the size of the components used)?

Regards.

PS: you wrote on your shop -> "Capacitor for PVDD is either United Chemi-con KZN / KYB Series or Panasonic FC series whichever is available".

Which ones will be mounted on your last series, knowing that I ordered a SYLPH-D200 Mk II PCB from you and that I rather have a preference for the United Chemi-con KYB?

Last edited: