JLE TPA3255 Build and Modifications

D

Deleted member 148505

Hello Lester.

Thank you for your quick and very detailed response :cool:

Regarding the sylph MKII, I noticed that you tested different operational amps: did you test the OPA828 with HD2 dominating ?

For film-type capacitors at the HP output, what justifies the choice of those used ?
Why didn't you use WIMAs (I can't give a precise reference since I don't know the size of the components used)?

Regards.
Hi, I haven't tested OPA828 yet.

OPA1656 has an HD3 dominating but I keep coming back to it's sound. My reference TPA3255 amp at home is now using it.
The OPA1656 has better highs and better dynamics (snappier?) compared to others. For example LME49720 also has good highs, but the overall sound is bland for me (specifically for Sylph-D200, might not be applicable for others). NE5532 is the most correct sound (sounds like SS vintage amps) but the mid-highs 3kHz o 7kHz is not as good (rendering the schh vocal sound).

Using WIMAs for the output filter is cost prohibitive so I just used oversized output filter caps for our TPA modules, sound quality should be as good, and using a larger footprint will make it easier to replace with other available caps.

Regards,
Lester

D

Deleted member 148505

PS: you wrote on your shop -> "Capacitor for PVDD is either United Chemi-con KZN / KYB Series or Panasonic FC series whichever is available".

Which ones will be mounted on your last series, knowing that I ordered a SYLPH-D200 Mk II PCB from you and that I rather have a preference for the United Chemi-con KYB?
United Chemi-con KYB is the one currently available. (same as pic on the web store). Thank you

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I listen to my dual mono D400M at least 8 hours a day. I'm also running OPA1656's, and I think they are the sweet spot. Waiting for the day the stars align with funds and JLesterP's available stock to allow me to pick up another D400M, and 2 D200 MKII's to build a 5.1 amp.

Hello rhing.

It must be compatible.

Its price is not too expensive compared to other power supplies with less function with lower quality components.

It has its 51VDC output which is the maximum allowed by the SYLPH-D200-MKII PCB (so warning), its heat dissipation plate is designed to be fixed on one side of the chassis, the components used seem to be of very good quality and well selected, it has many different auxiliary voltage sockets for various uses -> +12VDC & +3.3VDC and regulated AUX output +-5 VDC ~ +-18 VDC (fan, relay, light, ARDUINO?).

Datasheet can be found here -> https://micro-audio.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SMPS630-SO_2412020.pdf

Only this one is not regulated -> can be very annoying if your individual electrical network is constrained by significant voltage variations :unsure:

Lester would have to confirm its compatibility with the SYLPH-D200-MK II PCB.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 148505

Hello rhing.

It must be compatible.

Its price is not too expensive compared to other power supplies with less function with lower quality components.

It has its 51VDC output which is the maximum allowed by the SYLPH-D200-MKII PCB (so warning), its heat dissipation plate is designed to be fixed on one side of the chassis, the components used seem to be of very good quality and well selected, it has many different auxiliary voltage sockets for various uses -> +12VDC & +3.3VDC and regulated AUX output +-5 VDC ~ +-18 VDC (fan, relay, light, ARDUINO?).

Datasheet can be found here -> https://micro-audio.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/SMPS630-SO_2412020.pdf

Only this one is not regulated -> can be very annoying if your individual electrical network is constrained by significant voltage variations :unsure:

Lester would have to confirm its compatibility with the SYLPH-D200-MK II PCB.

Regards.
Using 51V is ok, In the datasheet, up to 56.5VDC can be used if the speaker load is 6ohms, and the absolute max is 69VDC.
I also placed 1.5KE62A TVS diode in the module for transient / reverse DC protection. If your concern is heat dissipation, use power supplies with 43V-45VDC.
If you have voltage fluctuations in your area, give 10% to 20% voltage allowance (43V to 48V or use an AVR).

I'm using 50V in my personal amp without any problems.
(just ignore the smps that I've used, I converted it from 48V dual supply to 50V single supply)

1673635138215.png

D

Deleted member 148505

Hi Lester.

What did you think about this supply (220-240VAC/Single 50VDC/600W) ?

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...st_main.5.2cac5e5brvLtXV&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

Here are some pictures from the net ->

Regards.
Looks like it has the same implementation as the one that I'm currently using, it's also easier to modify.
For their single supply version in aliexpress, I saw that they are just removing the TO-220 rectifier for the negative side and connecting the output negative trace to ground.

I have checked my green SMPS on the scope and it was significantly noisier than the meanwell's. As for the sound, it's still good and doesn't degrade the Sylph-D to the point that it's noticeable. I will check the FFT of my green smps setup once I have the time to do it. (I tried a cheap meanwell knockoff and it has a spurious noise around 25kHz on the FFT, also felt that it degraded the sound)

Using 51V is ok, In the datasheet, up to 56.5VDC can be used if the speaker load is 6ohms, and the absolute max is 69VDC.
I also placed 1.5KE62A TVS diode in the module for transient / reverse DC protection. If your concern is heat dissipation, use power supplies with 43V-45VDC.
If you have voltage fluctuations in your area, give 10% to 20% voltage allowance (43V to 48V or use an AVR).

I'm using 50V in my personal amp without any problems.
(just ignore the smps that I've used, I converted it from 48V dual supply to 50V single supply)

View attachment 1129780
Thanks Lester. I purchased the Micro Audio SMPS630-S0 with the Mundorf electrolytic capacitor upgrade. I also purchased the additional capacitor board with Nichicon Gold Tune electrolytic caps. With efficient Class D amps, my experience is that the sound quality starts with the quality of the power supply.

Lastly, I ordered the SYLPH-200-Mk II amp. Looking forward to listening to the combination.

Hello Lester.

To complete my previous question concerning the power supplies that you were able to test and/or advise us on, would it be possible for you to design one yourself that is optimized for your PCBs and offer it in your shop ?

It would be great ;)

Regards.

Reactions: 1 user
People hi !

I received my PCB 'Sylph D200 MKII' :D

The work done is simply exceptional and I would like to congratulate LESTER: there is nothing at all to complain about regarding the quality.

It's an 'extra PCB' :cool:

I haven't received all the hardware to build my amp yet but I'll post new pictures as soon as it's finished, I promise ;)

In the meantime, here are some pictures ->

A - The parcel.jpg

B - Inside the parcel.jpg

C - The PCB.jpg

1 - Top view.jpg

2 - Yellow capacitor.jpg

3 - Grey capacitor.jpg

4 - United Chemicon KYB capacitor (PVDD).jpg

5 - Connectors details.jpg

6 - Connectors explaination.jpg

7 - Heatsink references.jpg

8 - Connectors explaination.jpg