John Curl amp

AndrewT said:

This sounds like a source of cheap, wide range charactistic FETs could be coming to market.

I don't know that I would call them cheap, but it would be nice to have them available. Note that Linear Systems uses cans for their parts, so the pinout is different, but it's certainly no worse than that weird flat configuration that Toshiba used.

Grey

GRollins said:
I don't know that I would call them cheap, but it would be nice to have them available. Note that Linear Systems uses cans for their parts, so the pinout is different, but it's certainly no worse than that weird flat configuration that Toshiba used.

Grey
I think you misssed my point.
If they are having trouble with yield then they must of necessity have a large number of rejects.
Sell off the rejects roughly grouped into gm sets and they get extra income no matter how cheap they choose to sell at. But, surely the rejects will be cheaper than the full spec matched devices.

Andrew,
I don't have any information as to whether they will be selling "factory seconds." If I were a small business I wouldn't do so, but then people make what I consider to be odd business decisions all the time.
The last time I checked on pricing, the Linear Systems parts were more expensive than the (then) going rate for the original Toshiba parts, but the Toshiba parts increase in price on a nearly daily basis. At some point the Toshiba parts will cost more than the Linear Systems equivalents and you'll start seeing more people going for the LSKxxx parts regardless of quality.
John,
I've got some of the LSK389s and LSK170s on hand. I have not found them to be obviously inferior...but then I don't have as much test equipment as you have (no curve tracer, for instance). Can you give some particulars as to why you're underwhelmed with the Linear Systems parts?

Grey

I have an associate, formerly with Lawrence Berkeley Labs, who now has his own company that heavily uses the 2sk389. He has a special adaptor attached to an HP analyzer to measure offset, noise, especially 1/f, Gm and many other characteristics.
The Linear Systems are generally noisier than they claim, especially at low frequencies. They do NOT make a true dual device, they just put two single devices into a can. Offset can be larger on average. He monitors 2sk389 from all sources. We have tried to buy reasonably large quantitites of 2sk389-109 devices from all over the world.
My associate prefers 2sk389GR and we prefer 2sk389Bl at Parasound, and I only use 2sk389V. We have contracted parts exchanges over the years between each other. My associate sometimes finds problems in Toshiba devices. He rejected 1000 that we offered him this year, because they did not meet one of his noise specs.
I can only hope that Linear Systems makes p channel product soon. I hope very much, but I am not holding my breath.

One-chip Design

john curl said:
I have an associate, formerly with Lawrence Berkeley Labs, who now has his own company that heavily uses the 2sk389. He has a special adaptor attached to an HP analyzer to measure offset, noise, especially 1/f, Gm and many other characteristics.
The Linear Systems are generally noisier than they claim, especially at low frequencies. They do NOT make a true dual device, they just put two single devices into a can. Offset can be larger on average. He monitors 2sk389 from all sources. We have tried to buy reasonably large quantitites of 2sk389-109 devices from all over the world.
My associate prefers 2sk389GR and we prefer 2sk389Bl at Parasound, and I only use 2sk389V. We have contracted parts exchanges over the years between each other. My associate sometimes finds problems in Toshiba devices. He rejected 1000 that we offered him this year, because they did not meet one of his noise specs.
I can only hope that Linear Systems makes p channel product soon. I hope very much, but I am not holding my breath.

Linear Systems president Johm Hall advertises it as a one-chip monolithic dual:

"Our new LSK389 series features a unique design construction of interleaving both JFETs on the same piece of silicon that provides excellent matching and thermal tracking, as well a low noise profile having nearly zero popcorn noise," says Dr. John Hall, Linear Integrated Systems founder and president.

http://linearsystems.com/press_release.html#GlossA

Not to complicate anyone's life or anything, but I just happened to browse the Toshiba semiconductor site. They no longer list any low noise P-ch JFETs. In fact, they hardly list any P-ch devices at all.
The best you can do for complementary parts are the general purpose 2SK246 and 2SJ103.
If I had to guess, I'd say they're getting out of audio JFETs entirely.

Grey

MCap8

Hi guys,

This is a good thread, i follow this thread and now begin to learn the MicroCap8 demo version software. After run this John Curl's Amp file on my pc, i realized that i have no complete library on my Library files folder. Please help me so I could run this simulation file.

Thak You Gentlemen,

Best Regards.
Josh