John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
T. Holman's survey in _Audio_ mid 1970s is plenty close enough for our purposes.
Which is basically the shure list.

you don't get rewarded for real dynamics, but you do get punished for being untrackable.
I would love to get my head around the maths so I could work out if these very high levels reported were actually cuttable at full speed.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
They won't be resolved either if measurements used don't comport well enough with human perception, and they don't.

So... Nothing of that nature will ever be resolved here, it never has and it never will.

It’s then up to you to show why they don’t comport since you are making the claim.

That would mean two identical measuring DAC’s ( of very, very close) that in a DBT produces a statistically significant result that answers the question ‘can you hear a difference?

Sorry, STEM rules.

Which is basically the shure list.

I would love to get my head around the maths so I could work out if these very high levels reported were actually cuttable at full speed.

Well, the T. Holman examples were production vinyl . IDK, to my way of looking at it, these were the best that could be done then, nobody cares now, and nothing more exotic will be made in the future. Wait! Unless somebody invents a new method that stores digital samples of the music on small discs - read by *lasers* - Wait! Wait! - we'll store it in a magic cloud. Then music will be free! Yeah, that'll never happen.

You heard it first here,
Always the best fortune,
Chris

What are your guesses regards connections between heard and measured differences?

The significant different sometime signal to noise ratio, sometime harmonic profile, sometime slew rate, some time distortion change at different level of signal, etc

If those measurement is significant different, it is high probability you can hear the sound different at specific recording.

The significant different sometime signal to noise ratio, sometime harmonic profile, sometime slew rate, some time distortion change at different level of signal, etc

If those measurement is significant different, it is high probability you can hear the sound different at specific recording.
Ok, I thought you meant you were able to link specific measured difference to perceived sound differences 70% of the time, was I wrong?

I found the sound of his voice, particularly the seemingly random intonation unbearable.

A couple of years ago, trekking in the Bandolier National Park (USA) I heard a
language strange to me, very beautiful, but hard to source. It didn't sound Romance, it didn't sound Scandinavian, it seemed far from the Dutch/German/northern European continent. No obvious French roots, like most English has. No impossible eastern European consonants or exotic Roma. I couldn't hear a single word that I could understand, or even guess at.

It was a lovely couple, not much, if any, older than us, and they dressed and appeared as Europeans. Couldn't resist, and interrupted their privacy at a resting point. They were from a beautiful spot in Wales, and generously told us about it.

Simon Whistler speaks very fast, but it somehow still works for me. I'm strictly Amglish these days, and often must use closed captions for BBC tv shows unless everyone is very "pronounced" like Simon W. I'd guess that for non-native-English speakers CC would be necessary. But his content is good if you can adapt to the delivery.

All my childhood languages are gone, only the echoes remain. Could once speak German to pass as a native, now all gone, except I can still sing Schiller's LvB 9th 4th movement, a capella, and will, if anybody crosses me. You have been warned.

Always the best fortune to us all,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.