Linton 2 Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wharferdale drivers are usually better than their crossover parts.

Replacing drivers alone is the hardest possible thing for a newbie. Please, just buy a new speaker kit.

However, replacing caps is worthwhile. :) Try Clarity ESA or Mundorf MKP for the tweeter (is this a 3 way with coaxial mid/tweeter?) and Axon for cheap woofer caps.

Best,

E

I used to have some 8" bass/3" cone tweeter Wharfedale Linton 2...

681184d1526561181-70th-anniversary-loudspeakers-briggs-wharfedale-linton-jpg

I have some crossover pictures too. Below. Nothing too hard.

I found some cabs in the street years later. IIRC, I fitted an Eminence Alpha or Beta 8A and a loud Audax TW034 1.5" tweeter via some 2.5kHz network. Added a reflex tube and it was good.

These days I'd build a custom crossover. Again, easy enough if you are like me.

Attachments

• Wharfedale Linton crossover.JPG
    Wharfedale Linton crossover.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 418
  • Wharfedale_Melton_2_Crossover.JPG
    Wharfedale_Melton_2_Crossover.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Linton_Mockup_Crossover_630V.jpg
    Linton_Mockup_Crossover_630V.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 409
For an 8" midbass, there are a few recommendations for the SB Acoustics SB29RDC-4 and Wavecor TW030WA12 tweeters.

The modest cost Dayton RS225P*8 8" paper cone Reference Woofer will work crossed LR4/LR4 at ~1200-1400Hz with the robust 29mm SB Acoustics SB29RDC-4.

The modest cost Dayton RS225P*8 8" paper cone Reference Woofer will work crossed LR4/LR4 at at ~1500Hz to the 30mm + waveguide Wavecor TW030WA12.
Test Bench: Wavecor TW030WA12 30-mm Cloth Waveguide Loaded Tweeter | audioXpress

The Wavecor would be an interesting build. The Parts Express website has Dayton FRD and ZMA data files for easy simulation.

PORTED BOX 1.3cuft
-F3 = 44Hz
PORT = 3" diameter, 8.1" long, flanged on front baffle
PORT = 2" diameter, 3.1" long, flanged on front baffle

I guess someone called kefkef is mostly interested in KEF! As Dave knows, the Tangent TM1 was a similar take on this popular KEF Chorale bookshelf theme. :D

OK, let's run with it. If you have a Bextrene KEF B200 SP1014 unit we are in established territory. Though I quite like those old paper Wharfedale units too.

Shouldn't be hard to fit a more modern tweeter if the tweeter cutout on the Linton box makes this easy. What is its diameter, anyway?

Some bumpf on the 20L closed box KEF Chorale below. Falcon Acoustics do an allegedly improved crossover. You can get parts at Wilmslow Audio too.

Adjusting tweeter level is not usually hard. The T27 was a decent enough mylar 3/4" dome. But not the last word. Wharfedale did something similar in the goodish Shelton XP2 design. I might fancy one of the new SB Acoustics ring radiators here for giggles.

645296d1510487763-wharfedale-shelton-xp2-minor-classic-imo-wharfedale-shelton-xp2-inside-jpg

The trick with these sort of designs was usually a negative polarity 3rd order 3kHz tweeter, which solves some time-alignment and phase problems.

Attachments

• KEF Chorale.JPG
    KEF Chorale.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 247
  • KEF Chorale Crossover layout.JPG
    KEF Chorale Crossover layout.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 335
  • KEF_Chorale_Falcon_Crossover.JPG
    KEF_Chorale_Falcon_Crossover.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 215
  • KEF_Chorale_Crossover.JPG
    KEF_Chorale_Crossover.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 255
Quick text book LR4/LR4 Xsim of popular 8" midbass Peerless R830869-8 + SB_Acoustics 1.1" dimple dome SB29RDC-4. Edge diffraction effects will need to be added to the 8" Peerless SPL for the next level of crossover simulation detail required for a purchase decision. Then... measure twice, purchase LRC once. Simulation of a waveguide tweeter requires FRD files at several different polar offsets which I do not have.

Attachments

• 8in dome 12x18.JPG
    8in dome 12x18.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Tymphany SB_Acoustics.JPG
    Tymphany SB_Acoustics.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi Steve!

There may be no one in a better position than kefkef himself to choose a suitable tweeter and crossover to match a KEF B200!

However the knock on benefit of this thread is that I get to see more of your speaker photos and crossover schematics!

Keep them coming as I'm totally addicted!

Not a bad plan but as much as a love the t27 its dimensions are slightly off... and was looking for maybe a slightly more update-to-date tweeter...
Don't waste time on worn-out old T27 tweeters from fleabay. Get new stuff. And the Peerless 830869 bass looks good, but you have two available basses already, don't you? I'd take either of them on.

I have a lot of fun with the cheap as chips 92mm Monacor HT-22/8. I've also used the metal SEAS 19TAF/G and Morel 1" soft domes, and IMO, 19mm domes sound better than 1" domes.

You just apply the correct theory, which is the Steen Duelund Filter. For 8" bass you just need a bass coil and a bit of impedance correction and use existing third order mechanical rolloff. 4th order negative polarity can work wonders with a tweeter. Below is one of my favourite 4th order efforts. Very clean and undistorted, I used the word "Darkness" to describe its sound, which is where the musical notes seem to be coming out of a quiet background. You'd remove the Zobel for the less bright Monacor.

BTW, I did ask for the tweeter cutout size. Don't get coy if you want serious help here.

Attachments

• Monitor Audio R300-MD Seas 19TAF-G tweeter.jpg
    Monitor Audio R300-MD Seas 19TAF-G tweeter.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 335
  • Monitor Audio with Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter.jpg
    Monitor Audio with Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,808
  • Steen Duelund Filter.JPG
    Steen Duelund Filter.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,537
  • system7 Darkness speaker FR.PNG
    system7 Darkness speaker FR.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 3,206
  • system7 Darkness speaker Phase.PNG
    system7 Darkness speaker Phase.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • system7 Darkness speaker Crossover.PNG
    system7 Darkness speaker Crossover.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 3,855
Hi Steve!

Little cone tweeters can sure sound sweet. I've got an old pair of branded RS Components ones (don't know the original manufacturer) of a similar size and power handling and I'm thinking of trying them out in my Denton enclosures for a bit of fun.

P.S. 'Steen Duelund Filter'? That's a new one on me! Will check it out.

It's hard to describe the occasional genius that occurs in life. But, strictly speaking, IMO, Steen Duelund was one of the great speaker Genius's..., the Albert Einstein or Paul Dirac of our humble endeavour in audio.

This was the Guy who realised that a 3-way was not significantly different from a 2-way. A question of simple Alpha.

There are various levels towards the good sound. I simply leave you with the 3-way Steen Duelund solution. :D

Attachments

• Steen Duelund 3-way.JPG
    Steen Duelund 3-way.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 725
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.