Linton 2 Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@ system7

I know you love pics so here's some of my Wharfedale Denton 2 which, as you will know, is the little brother of the Linton 2.

The photos are salient to the thread as I am sure the two siblings share the same components.

As you can see, I have recapped the crossover with fresh NP electrolytics.

However, recapping did not bring about the improvement in sound that I'd hoped for.

There is a distinct 'honk' in the upper bass that I'd like to cure (extra wadding didn't help).

The crossover is what I call a half section parallel network with 2mH & 50uF in the bass arm and 0.8mH & 16uF in the mid/treble arm. Bass dcr is 5.5 ohm.

Have you any suggestions that would help tame the 'honk'?

Attachments

• Denton Front.JPG
    Denton Front.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Denton Rear.JPG
    Denton Rear.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Denton Drivers.JPG
    Denton Drivers.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Denton Bass.JPG
    Denton Bass.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Denton Xover.JPG
    Denton Xover.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 302
Whoops! Glad I opened the Denton 2 up again!

According to the pencil marks I made at the time of recapping, I have re-connected the mid/tweeter with reverse polarity (see the two terminals on the extreme left). This is likely the cause of my problem!

According to my sketch I made of the circuit at the time, the mid/treble should be wired in the same polarity as the bass.

Steve, before I swap the wires over, can you confirm the correct polarity?

That Denton crossover looks plain wrong to me. Previous ones I have seen are 1.25mH/25uf and 10uf/0.8mH at 1.2kHz. We should discuss the options in another thread. The Denton was always bass light to my ears, and I think it could be done differently. Even the Shelton XP2 looked better.

For this Linton 2 one, I was rereading that excellent Classic Monitors thread:
Classic monitor designs?

Joachim Gerhard is always interesting. There's not much he hasn't tried. His current squeeze in that thread is the SEAS U22REX/P-SL and the 27TBCD/GB-DXT. He reckons it works on a single cap which must be around 3.3-4.7uF for about 3kHz.

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=44&Itemid=461
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=45&Itemid=239

It's his better current take on the Sonics Arkadia below, a classic SEAS 8" plus 1" if ever there was one:

626761d1500598935-classic-monitor-designs-sonics-arkadia-cabinet-jpg

Not cheap drivers, but not a bad investment anyway, IMO. You could do loads of things with those. And are not tied to simplistic crossovers. For giggles, the DXT with the Wharfedale or KEF woofer might provide hours of entertainment.

76mm cutout is tight but doable for your regular 94mm tweeter jobbie. A lot are 104mm.

Thanks Steve.

I may start a thread on improving the Denton 2 crossover after the summer break.

It's certainly the original crossover board. However I've read that Wharfedale may have changed the crossover frequency at some point in the production in response to the incidence of blown mid/tweeters!

It's all about having an idea in the end. This guides you to your solution... :)

That and a willingness to work at it.

549637d1463451462-devore-orangutan-clone-devore_orangutan-jpg

One of two loudspeakers to win Stereophile Magazine's top award this year was the DeVore Orangutan O/96. It appears to be using a Morel CAT 378.

I had a little go at this sort of thing at a theoretical or concept level, and TBH, I'd probably do it differently these days:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/272810-devore-orangutan-clone-5.html#post4716408

549638d1463451462-devore-orangutan-clone-devore-orangutan-clone-circuit-png

549639d1463451462-devore-orangutan-clone-devore-orangutan-clone-fr-png

Looks promising, eh? This is not far away from the popular old SEAS A26 idea, based on a well-behaved 10" woofer.

544358d1461023390-devore-orangutan-clone-wd25t-ex-peter-comeau.jpg

Could you do this with a well-behaved 8" woofer? I think so. In fact, if you look at your Linton 2, you'll see it's already quite close to the Orangutan idea and my concept circuit above. So, if it was me, I might just try a better crossover on your Linton 2 first.

Too many people come here with a fairly random pair of drivers, and then ask us for a circuit to get it working. I would start with what you have, get it working as well as possible and hone your skills, then think about better drivers.

Too many people come here with a fairly random pair of drivers, and then ask us for a circuit to get it working. I would start with what you have, get it working as well as possible and hone your skills, then think about better drivers.

Sound advice Steve!

There's a huge distinction to be made between building a loudspeaker system from scratch and refurbishing an existing loudspeaker system.

These two activities are often confused and may warrant their own distinct sub-sections in the loudspeaker section of the forum.

When it comes to refurbishing, I favour trying to maintain the original character of the loudspeaker as far as is possible.

Actions such as replacing clapped-out capacitors and dinged-up drivers should be done sympathetically. If, at the end of the process, the sound of the loudspeaker isn't satisfying then it may be time to design and build one that is.

P.S. My refurbished Denton 2s are now singing sweetly at the end of my Rogers Ravensbrook amplifier. I had stupidly reversed the tweeter leads in one of the cabinets! All is now well!

I think I may have digressed from my original post but I do agree with above and have myself dabbled with refurbishing some kef's in the past... (surprise surprise). My Linton 2 angle was more to do with the fact that they are just small enough, wooden and vintage enough (to paraphrase the wife) to be permitted outside of the loft and come downstairs and augment my more 'tasteful looking' set-up. Now as my Lintons were rediscovered hand-me-downs from my late teenage years (i.e. free) and some of the drivers are not in too great a shape there is no requirement to maintain 'authenticity' or keep them as museum pieces... hence the gist of my post was really looking to explore how to marry good modern drivers within a more 'vintage' shell that I can enjoy without shutting myself away from family life!

The Linton 2 woofers seem to be tough as old boots. As with any old driver, rotating 90 degrees can clear some voicecoil sag.

You are not helping me, or any other people interested in this speaker, much here with schematics and dimensions or photos or even very exact description of any issues.

If you embark on a renovation, you should familiarise your self with Wilmslow Audio and Falcon Acoustics. Some tools like 40W soldering irons, cutters and long-nose pliers and a drill are essential along with a stock of components and wire like 20A fusewire for lashups and 5A speaker cable. Some stock PCBs can be useful.

The Morel CAT 378 is one way to go: MOREL CAT 378 Soft Dome Horn Tweeter - AmpsLab

I did some quick and dirty modelling with the limited FRD and ZMA files from Michael Chua. No phase included, so some guesswork. It came out a bit as I expected on a 2kHz crossover.

In practise with the lowish inductance Wharfedale woofer, that 7.5R will probably be 2.2R.

Attachments

• Wharfedale Linton Trial Circuit with CAT 378.PNG
    Wharfedale Linton Trial Circuit with CAT 378.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Wharfedale Linton with CAT 378.PNG
    Wharfedale Linton with CAT 378.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Driver FR effects.PNG
    Driver FR effects.PNG
    31.3 KB · Views: 75
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.