"Mechano22" - a small 2-way speakers with linear on-axis and power response characteristics

I've got these drivers and would love to give the build a shot. curious about thing. I had the drivers in the form of the cnote kit but the tweeters filter impedence caused the hf to rise dramatically on all my cheap class d amps. I believe it was due to the amps having load dependency, the speaker was unlistenable until one used a good hypex or class a/b amp. I wonder if this filter in the mechano22 would pose similar problems.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Are you saying the amplifiers had a non-zero output impedance? Crossovers do tend to have a varying impedance. Adjusting an existing crossover that was designed to work from a fixed Voltage can be achieved without redesigning it if you add external impedance compensation.

I ran into three different amps, all budget class D that gave me the problem, aiyima a07, smsl sa36, and some fosi model. Took forever to figure out what it was as, even had the speaker sent to PE where they verified it was fine. I made a thread here to figure it out but everyone who commented was wrong sadly and said it was my mic and that I don't know how to take measurements....

The amps do this, couldn't listen to the speakers, hurts your ears and sounds broken.

UvuuQSU.png

Then I got a crown xli and all was well, great sounding speaker after that. So yeah it'd be cool if one could flatten out the cnote tweeter impedance. That or I just get another a/b amp of which there aren't many cheap ones it seems.

mtPijaa.jpg

Already tried that and EQ didn't sound the same as using an amp that didn't cause the problem. Personally it's not an acceptable compromise, especially when I may give these speakers to someone else down the line with and those folks would almost certainly use them with a cheap class d amp.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Remember that impedance compensation takes on a different purpose depending on where you put it. At first we were talking about putting it between the amp and the crossover to improve the amp response.
to filter the nd25fw without 8.5k impedance peak.
However you appear to be talking about putting it between the crossover and the driver, which is done to make filter design simpler. This won't help the amp because the impedance will change by the other side of the crossover. This also means that whenever you change the crossover you need to review the compensation.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Active won't fix this problem. The rise in the treble response will be different if you pull the crossover, possibly worse just looking at it and you'd still need the impedance compensation to meet your stated needs.

This also means that whenever you change the crossover you need to review the compensation.
Which I'm assuming you weren't planning on doing because you are running them stock.
Wonder if it's easier to start from scratch.
Maybe yes, if it's discovered that last capacitor is bringing down the impedance needlessly.

actually you'd be incorrect there. I'm currently using the tweeter in another speaker that is active using the same amps and it does not exhibit the hf issue. it's entirely down to the xover + this tweeter and it's interaction with load dependency. I have data showing each component added one by one and you can see when the issue presents itself, I forget where it happens but I've got the info on imgur.

Here's the tweeter in my other speaker with a simple active 2500hx hi pass.

nd25fw active.png

Here is the one by one component adding I mentioned. Some of the measurements overlap so it's hard to see. I believe it looks like once the inductor is added it freaks out.

cnote xover tweeter issue part by part.jpg

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm not aware of the audibility of the peak versus the more gentle rise, and I'm assuming the information to me is correct.. because speaker drivers vary, as do crossovers, so removing the crossover doesn't make the impedance flat.

In any case, it's as simple as this circuit shown. If you have others you want to try, feel free to post them. If this doesn't make a change then there wasn't a problem to begin with.

C-Note Impedance compensation.png

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I couldn't reconcile the pattern, so I showed the effect of amplifier output impedance. I took the Dayton tweeter factory impedance and response data and simulated it with and without crossover. Voltage source and with 5 ohms output resistance. The traces are then level adjusted to help show areas of frequency response variation for active and with crossover versions. If your amp has a smaller output resistance, the areas will be the same only less variation.

nd.png