Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Woah, big pictures!

Nice black ones... mine are on the way as well.

A BSC will lower the high end, and make the bass even stronger... Since you already say they are a little bass heavy, don't add a BSC.

Instead, move them to the edge of the counter and away from the wall.
Or open the aperture a bit higher, this will lower the bass.

This isn't the final location for them, so I'll play with placement once we clear some things around. They're only up on the counter to keep them out of reach of the little one while testing :)

With how well these turned out I'm thinking I should build a few more, they would make killer home theatre satellites. I'm also thinking of maybe doing a pair for the garage with maybe the PA130, or similar cost drivers. Would be nice to crank some high quality tubes while wrenching on the VW every once in a while :cool:

I need to check out a few sign shops around here and see if I can get some of the thicker board to play with too, maybe do a really big set with some old 6.5" fullrangers I've got in storage :eek:

I tested all three drivers the day the mattress fell. They worked so I pulled them. Ready to finish the quad today, I wired them with a new one as duals in stereo and played them in open air. One went from crackling to silent. My only attempt to diagnose was checking the connections by switching drivers around. I have a bad one. If there's a simple repair I'm clueless so I think I'd rather wait on PE to deliver. Since it's Saturday I have all weekend to run the order up to $100 for free shipping. Every cloud has a silver lining?

i built karlsonator 8" from some foam cardboard, and tried 2 drivers in, BG20 and Alpair 12P,....also other speakers are built during time and in direct comparision you can here the differences. here are impressions in last 2 days listening of all the combinations

Y8yNtlZ.jpg

EGI4C3w.jpg

CSsdrsv.jpg

ALp12p is not balanced FR. .irritant highs.. diqualified from my many builds last 7 years (pencils, fonken, BR) and here i tried to give this speaker last chance.. ok , situation with the high tones is improved, dispersion is nice, but karlsonator 8" is missing to much bass (bass is fast, direct, ok) so disadvantages of the speaker are more prominent.. tried to move K in some other positions in the room, there are some improvements.. but this driver without correction is not enjoyable to me and i have fatique from it last 7 years so i'm not tolerant anymore.

Put BG20 inside K , bass is better, but there is some "honk" in the sound on some frequencies... high tones are not realistic at all. but ok BG20 is prepared to work here in 2 way so need a tweeter. honking maybe will be reduced with the damping..?

4K7fmHf.png

here is also big TL with external ribbon Fountek NEO X 3.0.. tried alpair 12P in TL, crossed with ribbon, i get impressive sound bass i very deep, (maybe too deep :) ) sound is slightly bright like graph is showing.. but i like ribbon because si not harsh, it is light and revealing.. measurement was taken from the listening position in not-audiophile room filled with everithing, wifes, kids staff, etc ..

on the right is Seas A26 kit build, nothing to say, very very good and balanced, easy listening and nice.

rigt bottom, philips Bombardon AD5201S in compression 40l box, will be one day 2way with FR on top, crossed on 200 Hz maybe , with some linear 3" (Fostex FE83 SOL targeted for this ).

so at the end im going to build small K for vifa driver and see the sound, for the moment big TL with ribbon, and Seas are clear winners.

i need to say that in one moment i have connected on the left channel transmission speaker with alpair/ribbon inside, and on the right channel alpair karslonator...so i get deep bass form TL blended with short and direct bass form K8, and dispersion and immaging from K8 with touch of ribbon on th left..it was something really, really satisfying ..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finished them yesterday, the bass indeed goes up when the aperture is properly fastened. I built some stands for them also. Thanks X for a great design and for everyone who contributed in this thread.

Very nice work Jonathan! So you made it in plywood and it sounds ok? How do you do woodworking in a high rise apartment?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
i built karlsonator 8" from some foam cardboard, and tried 2 drivers in, BG20 and Alpair 12P,....also other speakers are built during time and in direct comparision you can here the differences. here are impressions in last 2 days listening of all the combinations

Y8yNtlZ.jpg

EGI4C3w.jpg

CSsdrsv.jpg

ALp12p is not balanced FR. .irritant highs.. diqualified from my many builds last 7 years (pencils, fonken, BR) and here i tried to give this speaker last chance.. ok , situation with the high tones is improved, dispersion is nice, but karlsonator 8" is missing to much bass (bass is fast, direct, ok) so disadvantages of the speaker are more prominent.. tried to move K in some other positions in the room, there are some improvements.. but this driver without correction is not enjoyable to me and i have fatique from it last 7 years so i'm not tolerant anymore.

Put BG20 inside K , bass is better, but there is some "honk" in the sound on some frequencies... high tones are not realistic at all. but ok BG20 is prepared to work here in 2 way so need a tweeter. honking maybe will be reduced with the damping..?

4K7fmHf.png

here is also big TL with external ribbon Fountek NEO X 3.0.. tried alpair 12P in TL, crossed with ribbon, i get impressive sound bass i very deep, (maybe too deep :) ) sound is slightly bright like graph is showing.. but i like ribbon because si not harsh, it is light and revealing.. measurement was taken from the listening position in not-audiophile room filled with everithing, wifes, kids staff, etc ..

on the right is Seas A26 kit build, nothing to say, very very good and balanced, easy listening and nice.

rigt bottom, philips Bombardon AD5201S in compression 40l box, will be one day 2way with FR on top, crossed on 200 Hz maybe , with some linear 3" (Fostex FE83 SOL targeted for this ).

so at the end im going to build small K for vifa driver and see the sound, for the moment big TL with ribbon, and Seas are clear winners.

i need to say that in one moment i have connected on the left channel transmission speaker with alpair/ribbon inside, and on the right channel alpair karslonator...so i get deep bass form TL blended with short and direct bass form K8, and dispersion and immaging from K8 with touch of ribbon on th left..it was something really, really satisfying ..

Thanks for sharing your listening experiences. The A12P seems to have issues with peaks in the region your ears don’t like. I have heard similar complaints from others as well. I was sure that the K aperture would have helped.

The BG20 in the TL looks interesting. Bass from that should be impressive.

re: BG20, here's thejessman's graph of it in a Karlsonator 8 vs Karlsonator 12. BG20 will extend past 12K dead-on-axis. A tweeter would improve subjective bass quality. There was no fill in the Karlsonator 12's stub so suffered resonant dips. Karlsonator 8, to me looks pretty good and the much larger Karlsonator 12 a waste for BG20. A coaxial mounted helper tweeter for BG20 would be nice (any suggestions?)

I don't know if extending the aperture height with a narrow slit would improve subjective quality without introducing something odd in the response or not.

K3obtHk.jpg

Finished the 0.4x pair in foam core.

No measurements yet, still have smudges of hot glue everywhere! But I had to listen...

As is, it sounds ok. A little bass shy, if I wanted to compare with my TABAQs. But that was expected.

For fun, since I was listening from an iPod ( I know, not the best in sound quality!) I played through the EQ settings. When I hit the "Classical" setting, these little mini-k came to life! Balanced sound, and fun to listen.

The most interesting is they sound better and better as you walk away from them... which I guess is the K aperture doing its thing.

Hi
I have a par Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium full range drivers, do you think it would be worth to test them out in these type of enclosure.
Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium Full Range Speaker
I purchased them a couple years ago, the original project (Visaton Topas TOPAS | Visaton) was canceled and I have no other use for them. If it is useful can someone run a simulation, it would be good to know the actual size or best option enclosure.
Thank you guys
Greetings

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi
I have a par Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium full range drivers, do you think it would be worth to test them out in these type of enclosure.
Tang Band W4-1337SDF 4" Titanium Full Range Speaker
I purchased them a couple years ago, the original project (Visaton Topas TOPAS | Visaton) was canceled and I have no other use for them. If it is useful can someone run a simulation, it would be good to know the actual size or best option enclosure.
Thank you guys
Greetings

Try 0.53x scale for height and depth and 0.43x for width. It should get 43Hz F6.

The most interesting is they sound better and better as you walk away from them... which I guess is the K aperture doing its thing.

I notice this as well. I set up my room in Cardas near field formula, and while listening in this position is nice, as I lay on my bed which is farther away from listening position, I got better bass. If I'm in the kitchen (in an apartment) it sounds also nice and clear.

Does the K follow traditional speaker placement, or is it better near the back wall, or side wall, or else?