Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Wow! That’s terrific looking frequency sweep, Elleman! Almost looks like a Hifi speaker.
Can you remind us what driver and what size box this is? Also how are you crossing the K tube tweeter? Is that the piezo tweeter inside?

Scaling width only by 0,5

Plans and simulation in this post

Tweeter: 13DT48P (8 Ohm)
Driver: W6-658E

Crossover: Cross Cap (5.6 uF)
Air Coil Ø0.8 mm wire (0.40 mH)

Cost Per Speaker :
Driver 176 Sek
Tweeter 119 Sek
Crossover cap 92 Sek
Crossover Coil 62 Sek
Total Components 449 Sek = approx 45USD

Birch Plywood, approx 800Sek

1250Sek or 125Usd per speaker

Last edited:
So the W6 is running full range and the tweeter has a 2nd order filter with the 5.6uF and 0.4mH ?
Like the schematic below 21.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cool! As simple as it gets 1st order high pass and low pass. This means the sound is probably transient perfect if the tweeter is recessed a bit. Nicely done!

Can you show detail of the tweeter and K tube how it is mounted etc? I think this could be a case of more people trying this. It’s rare to find a perfectly synergistic combo like this.

Cool! As simple as it gets 1st order high pass and low pass. This means the sound is probably transient perfect if the tweeter is recessed a bit. Nicely done!

Can you show detail of the tweeter and K tube how it is mounted etc? I think this could be a case of more people trying this. It’s rare to find a perfectly synergistic combo like this.
[emoji106]

I was lucky i suppose. I think the tube softens the character of the tweeter considerably and the speaker set up combination have no obvious sweet spot and have a nice dispersion in the room.

The tweeter is press-fitted in back of tube. I have attached the STL and STEP file of the one i made. The hole in the tube is the same size as the diaphragm of the tweeter.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-25 014251.png
    Annotation 2020-04-25 014251.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Annotation 2020-04-25 014320.png
    Annotation 2020-04-25 014320.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Tube.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The GR Research M-130 driver needs a taller and deeper cabinet at 0.67x in H and D and 0.53x in Width. Should have -3dB of 52Hz and 90dB sensitivity.

It is not full range so you will need to cross with a tweeter somewhere.

There is a mild 2dB bump up at 62Hz, not a bad thing.

attachment.php

I think the slightly tall aspect ratio with a circa 20in height lends itself for a nice standmount.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-M130-0.67xHD-0.53xW-Freq.jpg
    Karlsonator-M130-0.67xHD-0.53xW-Freq.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,122
Last edited:
Hello xrk,

I had enquired about using F6 driver from Lii audio in post 3257 and freedi had confirmed in post 3261 that it can be used.

Based on this feedback, one diy enthusiast has built the K6. I think it came out very well. I had mentioned in the xKi thread that I will upload demo. Please see the attached files (unzip the files to find mp3 files). It is being played with Class D amplifier. It should sound even better with tube or class A amplifier.

Thanks to you, Freedi and GregB for design and guidance.

Thanks
Balaji

Attachments

• pic1.jpeg
    pic1.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 372
  • pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 215
  • K6_demo1.zip
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • K6_demo2.zip