Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Tooppy's Karlsonator15 is about 300 liters in external bulk, making it about the same bulk as Cetec-Gauss's 5181 K18 Karlson cabinet. Interestingly enough, Karlson had a K18 listed in a brochure but apparently that plan did not get passed forwards after his death in Jan. 1973

jB2uvHS.jpg

Yat7N6Y.jpg

I really like this particular 5181 cabinet's look - it may been a pre production model
as all I've seen and the plan have a tighter aperture

xZ2nd4Y.jpg

Last edited:
Impressed!

0.53 X with PA-130-8 from Muddjester Plans.

Drivers came this evening and I Got them hooked up tonight......very impressed. Initially had a buzz on one side, and found a loose wing. Snugged that up and things sounded great. Wife came in the kitchen and said they sounded bigger than the ones I gave to Kate (0.4X version).

Listened to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" and it was really, really good. Some Dianna Krall with Buble was very nice as well. Some Cars and Police for fun.
All on a little chip amp from the web. Excited to listen more.

I'll finish the Cherry wings and paint the boxes to complete these. Great project.

ACtC-3cjDCwxBqGeHaXyUMWb1Zx8Y4ZYCWbAzaGlw-wuHYE2g5Ftc3zGFex8kr0WAroH-N-oV1dr4R4eIL_rKnjK3wpNNwMwfpDaT331tK9jxNr-YtiyNdjlSxzkrZKHACGv9nEYos3E-WOtvS3a1kzxU2l-JQ=w1200-h1171-no

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I knew you would like them! :cool:

The cherry finished wings really add some class to this speaker. Glued on upholstery cloth to the rest of the foam box might be a nice finish too. Patterns and colors are limitless.

These would really sound great in your hangar!

Not sure what amp you are using but these are cheap and sound fantastic. You could even put them inside the speaker with an RCA jack and 5.5mm coax power input.

35W TDA8932 Mono Amplifier Board | eBay

Last edited:
0.53 X with PA-130-8

So happy to see someone else make this karlsonator!

Just wanted to say thank you to XRK. I built the 0.53 X with PA-130-8 a few months ago and they are real nice. They sound great with all types of music and sound even better now when I place them on their back with the speaker facing the back wall.

I would love to make these out of baltic birch so they are more durable. Has anyone done both foam and plywood? Do they sound the same or is the magic in the foam core?

Thanks again everyone for your research and help.

-yatr98

Finish can Wait!

Moved these to the office to enjoy them until the weather improves. Really happy with them. Will order up the ebay amp to try -thanks!

REM's Nightswimming performed by the Royal Philharmonic sounds great in the office. Will give them a hangar demo this weekend.

The neighbor kid saw me working on these in the garage and wants a set of the 0.4x for his dorm room - so we will get started on those this weekend.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I knew you would like them! :cool:

The cherry finished wings really add some class to this speaker. Glued on upholstery cloth to the rest of the foam box might be a nice finish too. Patterns and colors are limitless.

These would really sound great in your hangar!

Not sure what amp you are using but these are cheap and sound fantastic. You could even put them inside the speaker with an RCA jack and 5.5mm coax power input.

35W TDA8932 Mono Amplifier Board | eBay

So mdf is doable? About to start building a k8 for cheap drivers i got with planar tweeters and I am still trying to find a hard yes or no on mdf or hdf. Worst case I guess birch plywood with good bracing. Any bracing examples maybe? I'm really shite at searching clearly and again couldn't find anything definite.

The diyAudio search function is not very powerful. I think it was Mark Johnson who suggested using Google to search diyAudio as shown in the examples below.

Google search syntax: text OR text OR "thread name" site:diyaudio.com
Example 1:
Tucson listen OR listening OR sound OR sonic OR hear "The diyAudio First Watt M2x" site:diyaudio.com

Example 2:
plans OR mdf " Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's " site:diyaudio.com

Here is a hard answer for you - YES, MDF can be used. If for the Karlsonator 0.53, then XRK971 suggested using Melamine eraser foam for padding. I suspect that holds true for other speaker designs too.

You can search for that by inserting the appropriate keywords in Google.