Multitone distortion measurement on drivers?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don’t understand. Does this mean you had the same gain for all the mics?
"The loudspeaker used for the test was a single Dayton Audio AMT4-PRO Tweeter. The mic was placed about 5cm from the driver. The test signal SPL was set to 85dB at 1m using my handheld decibel meter. For each of the four mic tests, I simply replaced the microphone while keeping the test signal unchanged."

This is a bit unclear... But looking in the charts, the levels seem to not be the same for different mics.

//

Like this?

http://aplaudio.com/conc2/products/tda-im

He quoted me a price of (I think) 325 euros. If it was under a 100 US I would have purchased it. :blush:
You don’t need special software for that. If you have the ways to do simple sum for the signals in digital or analog world it will work
Sorry for the confusion, people (like me) don't always have usernames corresponding to their real name ;)
As I understand it, self noise might be low, but max SPL before distortion hits might also be low, so there is not more dynamic range even if noise is lower. I guess it depends on what levels should be measured, in what range the mic is 'at it's best'?
I think you have to use mic at correct level. Lower level lower distortion. But noise can burry what you want to measure. From what i see good mics don’t have huge diference in dynamic range. Sensitivity just a lot different. If you want low self noise mic it will be sensitive but will not handle high SPL.

Some of the best compression drivers I've heard have average H2 and H3 performance and excellent IMD performance. It's perplexing.

I believe that the difference is the mechanism that causes the H2 and H3 distortions.

Perhaps the largest cause of compression driver distortion is nonlinear air compression and not changes in Force Factor as in cone drivers.

Thanks DT