Needing a 1970's Yamaha Engineer (employed by Yamaha)

You're putting too much thought into the documents. Plenty of times changes are made during production because of cost or availability. The best way is visually see what the board has. Metal film resistors for everything until you get above 1 watt then it's usually the white coffin cement kind. Metal film resistors are cheap and pretty standard. Spend $3 and get yourself a bag of 100. Ceramic caps are usually for bypass reasons but I have seen them used in coupling applications. Again nothing here is critical or stressing the caps in any way. Buy whatever is cheapest. Low ESR or FC caps are best used in switching power supplies. You won't see any advantages in audio applications. Lately I've been splurging and buying Nichicon audio grade caps because they are gold colored. Polystyrene and film caps last forever. I'd leave them alone. One time I did see a green dipped film cap with it's guts exploded outward. Someone was pushing their PA amp too hard in church.
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, THIS IS THE TYPE OF ANSWERS THAT I HAVE BEEN SEEKING! :)

Low ESR or FC caps

Not to question anything that you have stated
I have been told in the past to use this type in the Power Supply board.

1663259960739.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Ok that is the one type of critical component because it's an AC line capacitor. Those have been known to fail (in a spectacular way) from a certain vintage and manufacturer. You want to replace it with an X or Y capacitor depending on the circuit. See https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/safety-capacitor-class-x-and-class-y-capacitors/
1663264227830.png

Because Class-X and Class-Y capacitors must be connected directly to AC lines (line-to-neutral or line-to-ground)

1663264276834.png

So much judgement being handed out here, that is not at all what I was hoping for. I thought I had asked some very simple questions with hopes of simple answers. My big mistake in thinking, has become more of a delusion. I did receive some okay information and I am most appreciative of the assistance.
Saying you see problems where there are none is not judgement but stating reality.

Since we are again at it, I´ll add: you have NO CLUE about 70´s Japanese Electronics.

You were given simple and detailed answers, but you fail to acknowledge them.

What you call thinking, somebody else might call obsession.

Pulling all components from a working amplifier? :eek: .... gimme a break!!!!

Delusion? .... you mentioned it, not us.

This is what I am finding, I was reading a Tech Note on Snubbers the other day and it's effect upon transformer ringing. Therefor it appeared to be critical to use the correct values. I don't see the values here.

I also saw an article on using a MICA cap and Carbon Composition Resistor. When I looked at MICA the price was over $40.00, that is a surprise and other ideas?

1663266885286.png

This is what I am finding, I was reading a Tech Note on Snubbers the other day and it's effect upon transformer ringing. Therefor it appeared to be critical to use the correct values. I don't see the values here.

I also saw an article on using a MICA cap and Carbon Composition Resistor. When I looked at MICA the price was over $40.00, that is a surprise and other ideas?

This part in question has nothing to do with transformer ringing. It's to quench the small arc when the switch is opened and slow down wear on the contacts. Where did you see the article about mica? Here's all you need.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/würth-elektronik/890324025006CS/5038917

$0.39

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ohmite/OF121KE/15294014

$0.95

Honestly you could leave it out of the circuit and never notice a difference. There's probably a dozen devices in your home right now with a switch and no snubber across it.

This part in question has nothing to do with transformer ringing. It's to quench the small arc when the switch is opened and slow down wear on the contacts. Where did you see the article about mica? Here's all you need.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/würth-elektronik/890324025006CS/5038917

$0.39

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ohmite/OF121KE/15294014

$0.95

Honestly you could leave it out of the circuit and never notice a difference. There's probably a dozen devices in your home right now with a switch and no snubber across it.
This is the only 0.1uf ceramic cap that I can locate, unless I can use a film. This for the Main board.

1663274686979.png

TO-3P transistors were originally intended to drop into a TO-3 outline, though they might need a rectangular insulator rather than the diamond-shaped TO-3 insulators. There are a couple of TO-3P devices available at Digi-key that might be suitable as replacements for the original TO-3 devices used in this appliance.One is from Sanken, and one is from On Semi.Both appear to be as zippy as the original TO-3 devices used here.
Help me out here, I thought you were referring to these?

1663299123935.png