• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Hi everyone,

I posted on another thread, but I think I better try asking here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...1-fifo-universal-i2s-pcm-driver-board-89.html

Recently, I assembled a dac with the following hardware combination with no luck.

Volumio - Rpi3 - kali reclocker - ian pcm board - AD1865/PCM1702 board - opamp IV

I did checked for dc offset at the output before inputting a 400hz signal (from youtube thru volumio). The frequency measured thru DMM doesnt show a 400hz, but it shows frequency fluctuating at a few thousands hertz. Out of curiosity, I connected it to my amplifier & speaker, only to hear pink noise.

Assuming i2s data (with mclk) is a standard, I wonder if anyone have tried connecting kali to ian pcm board?

I have no problem connecting the kali i2s data to TDA1543/passive IV. It is playing music, but the output level is low.

Regards,
Cheng

MCK of KALI and I2StoPCM is 3.3V LVTTL logic level so it should be no problem. KALI has to be in a MASTER mode so you should make sure that TDA1543 is in a SLAVE mode.

I2S output of KALI can be transmit to my DAC. The sound is very good so I2S output of KALI is OK for DAC.

Attachments

• 58663.jpg
    58663.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Hi Dimdim,

I have tried connecting i2s data from kali > TDA1543 > passive IV without any problem.

I need the mclk from kali to connect to ian pcm board. So far I have no luck getting them to work.

I'm not sure the problem is with the opamp IV or kali. Maybe I should just try connecting Ian FIFO/Clock board to isolate the problem.

Cheng

Hi Dimdim,

I have tried connecting i2s data from kali > TDA1543 > passive IV without any problem.

I need the mclk from kali to connect to ian pcm board. So far I have no luck getting them to work.

I'm not sure the problem is with the opamp IV or kali. Maybe I should just try connecting Ian FIFO/Clock board to isolate the problem.

Cheng

Have you tried to power I2StoPCM board independently?

A layout of a external clock board for KALI is completed. I will find a PCB factory to make a sample board, and then I can solder the required components to finish the external clock board for connecting to the Sparky.

Attachments

• 1497531236380.jpg
    1497531236380.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 1497531001756.jpg
    1497531001756.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 1497531483214.jpg
    1497531483214.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 189
@cdsgames

Thanks for the technical manual you posted on your website: https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/isolator.html#downloads

Few questions:

When I feed the Isolator with 6V, the Isolator feeds the Kali and Piano 2.1 Dac. Is this correct? And if yes, how many hours do you think I can listen to music using two LifePo4 batteries?

When I feed the Kali/Piano 2.1 separately can I, in that case, feed the Isolator with a 5V PSU?

What is SPI isolation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I edited my post:

@cdsgames

Thanks for the technical manual you posted on your website: https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/isolator.html#downloads

Few questions:

When I feed the Isolator with 6V, the Isolator feeds the Kali and Piano 2.1 Dac. Is this correct? And if yes, how many hours do you think I can listen to music using two LifePo4 batteries (two A123 ANR26650 - together 6.6V)?

When I feed the Kali/Piano 2.1 separately can I, in that case, feed the Isolator with a 5V PSU?

What is SPI isolation?

Thanks!

Hi

yes Isolator will feed the Kali + Dac. We are adding a battery holder for LIfePO4 on the web., if you use it about 30h.

Yes you can feed the isolator with a 5v PSU, in that case you wont be able to feed Kali/DAC but it works for Isolator

SPI bus... in some DACs you need SPI. You can isolate it with SW .

Hi
Yes Isolator will feed the Kali + Dac. We are adding a battery holder for LIfePO4 on the web., if you use it about 30h.
Hi cdsgames,
Just to confirm my understanding, the LIfePO4 battery (6.4v) , can be used to power the Isolator + Boss(master dac) or the Isolator + Kali + Slave Dac?

Hi
Yes you can feed the isolator with a 5v PSU, in that case you wont be able to feed Kali/DAC but it works for Isolator.
So the 5v jack input only powers the Isolator and the battery input powers both the Isolator + other hats?

SPI bus... in some DACs you need SPI. You can isolate it with SW .
If using the Boss or Piano dac, does this need to be enabled on the Isolator?

Thanks!

Great product. I've been using the Piano 2.1 with an Rpi3B in both 2.0 and 2.1 modes. Nothing elaborate, just a standard Pi P/S, out of the box Volumio2 v2.2 and AlsaEqual. It sounds good to my ears.

I've also been trying for 3wks to get a PurePath license from TI. How long does Ti usually take ? I would like to create my own filters for EQ and active XO.

Haven't done any measurements yet. Were the filters designed for constant amplitude or constant power at the cross over point?

Hi cdsgames,
Just to confirm my understanding, the LIfePO4 battery (6.4v) , can be used to power the Isolator + Boss(master dac) or the Isolator + Kali + Slave Dac?

Can do both scenarios

So the 5v jack input only powers the Isolator and the battery input powers both the Isolator + other hats?

Both inputs are capable to power the stage above (5v and 3.3V)

If using the Boss or Piano dac, does this need to be enabled on the Isolator?

Yes... you have a SW for master/slave DAC. Boss is a master ..so chose master on SW and Kali /Piano are slaves...chose slave on SW

Thanks!