New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What's better sounds new 11ms or 10.3m?

I cannot comment of the stock A10,3, but during this last summer’s diyFEST we had a 3-way shoot-out between Jordan Eikona, Alpair 11ms,and Alpair 10.3eN (all in different ML-TLs) (EnABLed & matched).

A10.3eN outimaged them all (but i expect EnABling the stock drivers would improve their peformance in this respect, something that will happen), the Jordsn & the A10.3eN were overall neck & neck with the A11ms an improvement on both. Chris has both the A10.3eN and the stock A11ms on trial in his HT and as i understand he has yet to make a choice.

dave

Hi All, I am using the A11MS for my stereo speakers (also front L&R of my multichannel setup) & I’m going to add another pair for surround channels, I also need a pair of drivers for atmos channels.
Which MarkAudio drivers would suit very small sealed cabinets ? The 5.5L required for the 11ms is a bit bulkier than i can get away with. I would high pass them in the AVR around 150-200hz.

I have it on authority that aside from ennui, Chris’ failure to reach a conclusion is as much aesthetic as anything. The A11MS are currently in a quickie prototype pair of one of Scott’s designs that is much taller than the A10.3 Pensils, and he’s no longer in a position to quickly build a more domestically acceptable enclosure, or even veneer / finish them.

Seriously, on initial audition to them stock and completely fresh from the box, I though the new drivers were doing somethings in the imaging and lower level resolution that certainly equaled the A10.3. As for bass response, Scott could confirm this, but I suspect the tuning of the two enclosures is different enough to cloud my assessment there. I’ve spent the first 7 months of my retirement in almost complete vegetation mode, and might need to recruit another pair of ears.

Currently in Maui for 3weeks, and will probably need to wrap up some of these loose ends on my return.

Dave is not referring to step response. He is referring to the fact that the Alpairs are the higher-end model range from MA, while the Pluvias are the standard / middle-range products, ergo a 'step' below, with the CHN/P/R units being the entry level products.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me Planet10 was referring to the actual quality of the drivers.
Hopefully he can clarify. As someone that goes into great length to better the sound of a cone with his process, I hope he can share some insight on the inherent physical characteristics of the drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me Planet10 was referring to the actual quality of the drivers.
Hopefully he can clarify. As someone that goes into great length to better the sound of a cone with his process, I hope he can share some insight on the inherent physical characteristics of the drivers.

The Alpairs are very high quality. But not perfect. Mark learned a lot with the 1st gen MA drivers, the 2nd gen (most notably the A7) was far better. But while Mark was concentrating on fighting cancer, the particular “dog” i mention had more than the usual input from others. The driver is still good, just not up to the same level as its siblings and not with the expected voicing.

If Alpair tech is migrating to the Pluvias, we may seen issues with that driver remedied.

dave

Got it. When you say better, what do you mean, exactly?
I can't help but think it has to do with physical characteristics that can't be equalized, such as resonance and decay time.
Or maybe you mean out of the box, with no eq applied?
Or possibly something else, like directivity ?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We rarely use EQ, preffering to tackle the problem instead of band-aiding the symptom, and base our evaluations on what it sounds like. We have a number of very experienced listeners, at least a couple, including myself, have sufficent listening training (10k hrs) to be considered very good listeners.

In the end what hifi is all about is connecting the listener to the music… that is all that matters.

dave

Just wondering if anyone has heard both the 11MS and the 10P? What subjective differences are there, in detail, musicality and "listenability" for long time periods?

I'm in the market for another set of FR and am trying to work out which might be the better option. Bass extension is not a concern as I use a pair of subwoofers, and the enclosure is likely to be sealed unless there is good reason to make it otherwise. The FR graphs look quite different compared to each other but I have learned that FR does not tell the whole story when it comes to listening to music.
Cheers,
Matt.