New Markaudio Drivers

Bristol, Uk.

It's a tricky site...10m long, 9m wide tapering to 3.5m. Lots of glass on the angled side. I think for aesthetics the speakers would sit on the bar, so be approx 1.3m high.

Scott & Stefan has both visited in its previous incarnation.

I've got a bit of old kit kicking around, at the moment I have a little Roon NUC playing through a Hypex DLCP with the older UcD amps & Alpair 7.3's in sealed boxes.

I have a few boxes for the new 252 or 500MP nCores so may get the boards to finish these (I have the 500w ones at home and like them with Alpair 7.3;s).

Or I have some Hypex fusion plate amps if I want to do something more complex, but these have been sat dormant for ages, I think I have some 10" Beyma woofers and a whole load of horn drivers awaiting homes.

Ideally I would love to throw some tubes in there, and have it all analogue.
Bar01.jpg

So I ordered a pair of MAOP 7's to use over my Woden Folded ML-TL A12pw in a WAW configuration. I will build it in a separate box. I like to build my upper speakers in such a way that they could be used on their own in another location if the desire hits. I have a 36" x 48" sheet of 1/2" baltic birch left over that I could use to construct the speaker. What options will work for a smallish monitor style enclosure for the MAOP 7?

Well in a smallish box, I can't expect it to get down into the 30Hz range. I was OK with the low end of A5.3 in a Bloodhound enclosure. Probably not the best driver for the ACA 1.1. They sounded a bit thin in my room due to what I was asking them to do. Most likely would use them more nearfield so high 40 or low 50's would probably work.

I don't have to go with sealed even though it would be the smallest enclosure. All my current mx of speakers are all in folded ML-TL (Eikona 2, 12pw, A5.3). I have a pair of A10.3 to go in a trapezoidal Marken, which I will probably build at the same time. Not sure if a sealed enclosure will get as low as I would want it to be able to run it on its own.

I have a pair of CHN-50s on the way for a not-so-boom-box.

The wife and I have finally settled after she was pointing at 1" speaker'd all-in-one CDPs at the local electronics store yesterday. We've agreed after I mocked up the size of the CHN-50 vented box design on some old wood. Slightly larger but I'm hoping that the larger drivers with a well used cab design will offer a better solution. She has a 1W Roberts radio in the kitchen so the 3-7W range would be fine for the nearfield/small room listening without being too abrasive. This will have a slot load CD drive (CD as major requirement) and be portable (2nd major requirement) for use during her hobby as background or during a bath. She does Cricut for a hobby so there is a strong chance this will either be vinyl finished or thin cut veneer/vinyl mix - her radio her choice!

The CDP would connect via USB to a small RPi Zero2W and run a small media player install thus the output is digital. With the battery/bathroom requirement I did look at Digital Class D - the TAS277 or 2764 seemed good options but sadly they're basically unavailable through Mouser. This leads me to a question of matching the amp with the CHN-50s given the lowish 3.7 ohm. The TAS5756 data sheet seems to show a rising treble which concerns me when coupled with the CHN-50 frequency response and longer term listening. The filter could be tuned to curb the brightness as an option - this would be used with pop CDs such as Adele and streamed music. The alternative is use a 20W/ch class A/B with a DAC to just not have that rising treble response in the first place.

Q: Anyone used a "power DAC" or digital amp with the CHN-50s?

Came across this for the A12pw wideband that i thot was interesting: "It's worth noting though that the FR is not dissimilar to the Altec 755A"

An interesting point. Digging the 755 measurements out of my records, the overall response trends aren't actually all that far apart. Ignoring the bottom end, since the 755 was measured in a box, both are quite flat through the midrange & lower treble region, & also appear to have the same mild cone modes around 2KHz, 4KHz & 8KHz, despite the difference in Sd. Same sort of progressive rolloff >10KHz too. The 12PW isn't going to be a substitute, obviously (!), but in purely in terms of general on-axis response trend / balance, there are definitely parallels.

Attachments

• 755 12PW.PNG
    755 12PW.PNG
    346.9 KB · Views: 94
I have a pair of CHN-50s on the way for a not-so-boom-box.

The wife and I have finally settled after she was pointing at 1" speaker'd all-in-one CDPs at the local electronics store yesterday. We've agreed after I mocked up the size of the CHN-50 vented box design on some old wood. Slightly larger but I'm hoping that the larger drivers with a well used cab design will offer a better solution. She has a 1W Roberts radio in the kitchen so the 3-7W range would be fine for the nearfield/small room listening without being too abrasive. This will have a slot load CD drive (CD as major requirement) and be portable (2nd major requirement) for use during her hobby as background or during a bath. She does Cricut for a hobby so there is a strong chance this will either be vinyl finished or thin cut veneer/vinyl mix - her radio her choice!

The CDP would connect via USB to a small RPi Zero2W and run a small media player install thus the output is digital. With the battery/bathroom requirement I did look at Digital Class D - the TAS277 or 2764 seemed good options but sadly they're basically unavailable through Mouser. This leads me to a question of matching the amp with the CHN-50s given the lowish 3.7 ohm. The TAS5756 data sheet seems to show a rising treble which concerns me when coupled with the CHN-50 frequency response and longer term listening. The filter could be tuned to curb the brightness as an option - this would be used with pop CDs such as Adele and streamed music. The alternative is use a 20W/ch class A/B with a DAC to just not have that rising treble response in the first place.

Q: Anyone used a "power DAC" or digital amp with the CHN-50s?
Hi, I have good experience on a casual listening setup that incorporated CHN-50P with IQaudio DigiAMP+. Simply plug n play, applying the picoreplayer as Airplay endpoint.
I am considering to try the MA12070P HAT also.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002663447444.html?

_DSC3168169.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I have good experience on a casual listening setup that incorporated CHN-50P with IQaudio DigiAMP+. Simply plug n play, applying the picoreplayer as Airplay endpoint.
I am considering to try the MA12070P HAT also.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002663447444.html?

I went for the DigiAMP+ too. HiFiBerry seemed to be twice the price for the same design. Also I recognise the coilcraft inductors and the inbuilt power supply is useful. Looking forward to getting the setup this week, not much bigger than a two PU5 side by side. I'll make a build post on the forum once I've got things up and running.

I went for the DigiAMP+ too. HiFiBerry seemed to be twice the price for the same design. Also I recognise the coilcraft inductors and the inbuilt power supply is useful. Looking forward to getting the setup this week, not much bigger than a two PU5 side by side. I'll make a build post on the forum once I've got things up and running.
Yes indeed, I like the KEMET film cap too.

I have the 5.3 gold and want to add a bit of weight to the bottom end but still run full range. I’m thinking 5.3 firing forward in a small sealed enclosure at ear height and the larger driver firing upwards. Which MA driver would go the lowest in this type of position whilst keeping a normal floor stander sized enclosure?

Most people have side mounted drivers if you want to keep the baffle slim. The Mark Audio Sota Viotti One I think use use an Alpair 5 and custom Alpair/Pluvia 11.

If you havent seen there is a wealth of information on FAST or WAW adding dedicated woofers to full rangers.

If it was me, go for a bigger single driver (I love the old A7.3) and I regularly turn down the bass especaily when watching movies in the flat. Stefan KJF audio has some new MDF kits he is releasing soon that would make light work of a new cabinet..