New Stasis front end

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
idiot question, do we need to output boards per 1 driver board or is it 1to1?

1 FE pcb + 1 OS pcb = 1 channel

"6deep" pcbs are also having take-out points , so second pcb needs to have just 5 "outer" pairs ( not mounting N1 and P1 and associated resistors and 2 caps) , practically borrowing drive and biasing from primary OS pcb

that way one can make a monoblock with 1+5+5 output pairs, or 1+10 or call it 11 deep

simple, isn't it ?

:)

read small letters on original Treshold schematic I posted few days ago - one with zillion output pairs and 2 pairs of Governors in front

that's question for Wise Advisor with Gray Hair

major benefit is - he will sum it up all in two sentences ...... and Boyz will obey ....... at least in much greater amount than in case Mighty Moi (or anyone else) giving ( any ) recipe

Reminds me of an old story, true or not, quite good:

When Albert Einstein was making the rounds of the speaker’s circuit, he usually found himself eagerly longing to get back to his laboratory work. One night as they were driving to yet another rubber-chicken dinner, Einstein mentioned to his chauffeur (a man who somewhat resembled Einstein in looks & manner) that he was tired of speechmaking.

“I have an idea, boss,” his chauffeur said. “I’ve heard you give this speech so many times. I’ll bet I could give it for you.”

Einstein laughed loudly and said, “Why not? Let’s do it!”

When they arrived at the dinner, Einstein donned the chauffeur’s cap and jacket and sat in the back of the room. The chauffeur gave a beautiful rendition of Einstein’s speech and even answered a few questions expertly.

Then a supremely pompous professor asked an extremely esoteric question about anti-matter formation, digressing here and there to let everyone in the audience know that he was nobody’s fool. Without missing a beat, the chauffeur fixed the professor with a steely stare and said, “Sir, the answer to that question is so simple that I will let my chauffeur, who is sitting in the back, answer it for me.”

1 FE pcb + 1 OS pcb = 1 channel

"6deep" pcbs are also having take-out points , so second pcb needs to have just 5 "outer" pairs ( not mounting N1 and P1 and associated resistors and 2 caps) , practically borrowing drive and biasing from primary OS pcb

that way one can make a monoblock with 1+5+5 output pairs, or 1+10 or call it 11 deep

simple, isn't it ?

:)

read small letters on original Treshold schematic I posted few days ago - one with zillion output pairs and 2 pairs of Governors in front

My opinion is that ZM is a genius.

We all agree on that point.

As far as DC rail voltages go, some details for original designs are:

SA/3 = 50W and +/-34VDC Rails
SA/2 = 100W and +/- 49VDC
S/200 = 100W and +/-59VDC
S/300 = 150W and +/-64VDC
SA/1 = 160W and +/-62VDC
S/500 = 250W and +/-80VDC

I have a KMA200 chassis (including all internals) that I was going to convert to 2x ksa100, but this seems like a valid alternative!!!!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My opinion is that ZM is a genius.

wile-coyote-A.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen Mod, can you let us know here when you get the nod of approval from Mr Pass on the 6 and 8 pair Stasis O/S pcb design you have just done, thanks. I will be getting mine ordered straight after that.

say that nod needs to be public ( here) so all interested parties can acknowledge it :)

I believe 6L6 is regularly abusing a fact of having Papa's cellphone number, we ( Jim and ZM) had few emails pingponged yesterday, where I politely discouraged his ideas of making too much changes, just to allow totally full throttle Lego approach to build this

that means - total integration of FE and OS formats, something as M2x have - which would, in this case, demand Papa's work in miniaturization and too much changes of FE pcb, just to allow alignment of signal/rails pads and mounting FE on top of OS

nothing wrong, again, with PL approach of OS being on side sinks, while FE pcb(s) being on back plate

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Also nothing wrong with doing a new PCB layout of the front end PCB, so it's the same length as the output transistor PCB. This would mean the front end PCB becomes long and very skinny ... which is perfect because it leaves giant amounts of room on the bottom plate of the chassis. Room for two big toroidal transformers. Room for two (or four!) power supply boards full of capacitors and possibly R's or L's. Room for a soft start PCB with a beefy 700-Joule Inrush Current Limiter disc and equally beefy bypass relay. Room for a speaker protection and speaker muting PCB, to prevent turn-off thumps and to avoid DC on the output.

OR ---

Room for two top quality, cage mounted switch mode power supplies, plus two super high current LCLC noise filter PCBs, plus any failsafe "one of them is dead so kill the other" circuit boards you think are needed when using two SMPSs.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nothing wrong, of course

I just noted that I'm, personally, not expecting Pa to do that

as everything, it can be done as Open Source project, once when major part is given as gift

everything can be done, probably most efficient and elegant solution could be full channel pcb ( meaning FE + OS integrated on one long pcb), but that demands resorting to 500 deep case

combination pool is wast ....... :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
An output board that fits the 400mm UMS with 8 pair (or 7 pair + the drivers) is all we really need. :yes:

Ultimately bias will be dictated by heatsink temperature, not number of output devices. And the 400mm chassis have a fighting chance to fit on people’s shelves or racks, where the 500mm start to get unwieldy and difficult to place. (But will look fantastic)

And if you really want big (ok, not big, actually enormous) power, build two and bridge them. Hundreds and hundreds of W per amplifier. :yes: