New Stasis front end

Zen Mod, I have just looked at the UMS drilling pattern and all your output transistors as shown on your design match the UMS pattern for their mounting.

However I don't think the pcb mounting holes you have shown match the 80mm horizontal x 40mm vertical grid for the board mounting on the UMS pattern. Your grid for these looks like about 60mm vertical x 120mm or 80mm horizontal.

Can you check that thanks.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
To make the output PCB as universal as possible, a compromise might be an 8 device (4 deep) PCB with two cut lines to make it a 6 device PCB; that way you could have a 12 deep (24 devices total) 300mm monoblock chassis or an 8 deep 400mm stereo chassis.

while I'm in the Office :)

let's avoid cutting

Attachments

• Stasis OS 6deep sch.png
    Stasis OS 6deep sch.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 692
  • Stasis OS 6deep Eagle bottom.png
    Stasis OS 6deep Eagle bottom.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 683
  • Stasis OS 6deep Eagle all.png
    Stasis OS 6deep Eagle all.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 620
  • Stasis OS 6deep pcb render bottom.png
    Stasis OS 6deep pcb render bottom.png
    72 KB · Views: 602
  • Stasis OS 6deep pcb render top.png
    Stasis OS 6deep pcb render top.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 639
  • Gerbers STASIS OS 6deep.zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 1 user
Soldering just 2 SMD caps per board is not too bad - can be done with normal iron.
Total 4 caps.
8 more sensible joints than his through hole classic equivalent.
Yes can be done....but is easy clean and convenient soldering without hot air station
and special SMD soldering fluxes products etc. I have doubts..
Edit : Source power resistors are not miniature size anyways ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zen Mod, I have just looked at the UMS drilling pattern and all your output transistors as shown on your design match the UMS pattern for their mounting.

However I don't think the pcb mounting holes you have shown match the 80mm horizontal x 40mm vertical grid for the board mounting on the UMS pattern. Your grid for these looks like about 60mm vertical x 120mm or 80mm horizontal.

Can you check that thanks.

no mounting holes on pcb, so no standoffs - 48 transistor pins are more than enough for 75gr pcb, same weight of resistors and several hanging wires

if PL amps can be made that way, no reason that this one can't be made in same fashion

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I guess one would put something under the PCB to support it while one
solders some pins. Should be reasonable to do.

like usual, Dennis is one with brain for practical details :)

yes, you're right - some temp supports are usual accessories - (matchbox, Fuyitsu relays, whatever), though - I'm finding eyeballing is often good enough at my workbench, especially when I have just one of wanted supports :clown:

Yeh, a couple of 6 to 10mm standoffs while one solders all the 90 deg bent transistor legs, would be just ideal.

As ZM says, if good enough for Nelson back 35 years or so ago, then it should be OK still today. When you think about it, 36 or 48 stout transistor legs will be strong.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yeh, a couple of 6 to 10mm standoffs while one solders all the 90 deg bent transistor legs, would be just ideal.

As ZM says, if good enough for Nelson back 35 years or so ago, then it should be OK still today. When you think about it, 36 or 48 stout transistor legs will be strong.

dunno for how long , but current PL amps are made as that - wherever you see big bank of mosfets, pcb is without standoffs
OK, plethora of times confirmed that I'm blind, but I really didn't see them

ZM, now you have broken all records in getting 2 layouts done in a day - what are you going to do tomorrow? Have a rest I say, thanks again for your generosity.

that's trivial, and certainly not even near any record

what's not trivial is - numbers of pcbs made for prototypes - still not even put on workbench ........ also number of pcb files waiting to become pcbs.......also number of schmtcs waiting for any way of prototyping ...... :bawling: