New sub design? Constricted Transflex, simple build (series tuned 6th order)

B&C looking like a top contender again

MMJ - how high would you guess PA310 in a folded horn to mate with a mid-horn? it doesn't calculate real high with hornresp but your measurements look like it might do better than prediction (?) My little midbass horn got some lacquer - wish Jesse had a driver to fire it up

drivers I have to try on the horn are:Kappa12a, a Community "buyout" 12 with decent size motor, B&C 12PE32, a couple of
Eminence 12cx and maybe my loan 12" P-Audio BM12CXA - hopefully something will work reasonably well.

http://i.imgur.com/7E9h3Bz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N1LPBMZ.jpg

Freddi ,
That is a nice looking cabinet :)

Not sure how far up the useful response with a PA-310 will extend in that sort of cabinet, an akabak model would give us a rough idea ....

I found B&C's PDF file online for that 12PE32 and it looks to be practically IDEAL for your Front Loaded Horn midbass/midrange horn due to it's very strong motor, extremely high EBP and rising response .... It should be loud as heck, incredibly efficient, tight sounding and maybe a bit "dry" (i would predict) .... Out of all the 12s you listed The B&C would definitely have the best chance of producing useful response up high in that type of horn ...

Mr Inlow swears by the 12PE32 , you should take a look at the review he left on PE's website :)

my lone 12pe32 resides currently in a K12 - nice sound - quite a difference in sensitivity when changing to/from the Large Advent
I need a good midrange horn to go with the midbass horn - not sure if my JBL LE5 are still working well as last qt read was higher than 2 (!)

ecq5I6B.jpg

Last edited:
just one more segment

We need one more section-please. :)

Regards,

I agree !! With one more section in Hornresp we could get so much closer to modeling this type of cabinet ...

As it is right now we just fall short of being able to properly model the offset driver with the proper interchamber duct (to define where the rear chamber ends and front chamber begins) simultaneously ........ I have found ways to simulate those features independently but not at the same time in HR....

At least it is easy to model the equivalent simple aperture in HR , or "round aperture" as Schlager calls it :) (just not the classic K-slot) .....................BUT it doesn't matter since Hornresp was not really intended to properly estimate high frequencies anyhow so there is no point in trying to create a K-slot in HR, just shift the L45 all the way to the left in "Loudspeaker Wizard" (.1cm) to get an idea of what the response in the bass-range can be like with a K-aperture of some sort (slotted or round)

This is what i refer to as my "quick and dirty" HR method which is in fact very quick and very rough but serves it's purpose well... It is what i use to get an idea about what the bottom end contour will look like and how much total internal volume will be required for any particular driver, for more detail you have to build an intricate Akabak model, but this is a good place to start, just a preliminary test just to see if a driver will qualify (to figure out if it is something worth pursuing)..

The basic schematic ends up looking like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Acoustic sleuthing

I tried to remove the aperture, did not make much difference, if any, which is odd since the aperture must do something, as for example couple to the frontstubs, hence enlarging frontchamber???

Next is replace driver...

Sebastian,
Fascinating! , this just about narrows it down to the driver now ...

Without the front panel (and therefore without the front chamber or aperture) there should definitely be an audible difference if your ears weren't already having to contend with that nasty ill-mannered midrange colouration ...

I had an idea:bulb: about the driver break-in on your 15LB100 and i sent you and email about it :D

re: one more hornresp section, what has David said so far as to its feasibility and if he might do it?

Hi freddi,

The way that Hornresp is structured, the addition of a fifth segment would require a complete re-write of the program. This is not something that I am in a position to do.

For a conventional front-loaded horn system it is possible to use the throat adaptor feature to include an extra cylindrical or conical segment at the throat as shown in the attachment, but that is all.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 177
Hi Y'all,

Finally got time to take a look @ the GRS PZ1188s that I got from PE. Sadly, the first one I opened up had a broken (now re-glued) internal screw post, and dings in the cone. Not the kind of thing you like to see to spend time testing with. Also, while the description states correctly: "Standard 1-3/8" 18-TPI threads facilitate use with 1" horns", it is obviously my mistake to assume that this would mean the driver has a 1" throat. The throat is app. 7/8" (.875) which makes it a bad fit for 1" throat horns, waveguides or K-tubes. Oh well, at least they area cheap; another description may use the acronym for: casually researched acoustic parts.

I cut around a bit on the throat of the above mentioned driver, and I'll compare what I get to an original unit. All that being what it is I hope to find some time to play w/ the junk tomorrow. I don't expect any great insights. (I never do.) :)

Regards,

P.S.: File upload of pictures failed again. It's just not my day. Moving right along....

Last edited:
Hi Y'all,

Finally got time to take a look @ the GRS PZ1188s that I got from PE. Sadly, the first one I opened up had a broken (now re-glued) internal screw post, and dings in the cone. Not the kind of thing you like to see to spend time testing with. Also, while the description states correctly: "Standard 1-3/8" 18-TPI threads facilitate use with 1" horns", it is obviously my mistake to assume that this would mean the driver has a 1" throat. The throat is app. 7/8" (.875) which makes it a bad fit for 1" throat horns, waveguides or K-tubes. Oh well, at least they area cheap; another description may use the acronym for: casually researched acoustic parts.

I cut around a bit on the throat of the above mentioned driver, and I'll compare what I get to an original unit. All that being what it is I hope to find some time to play w/ the junk tomorrow. I don't expect any great insights. (I never do.) :)

Regards,

P.S.: File upload of pictures failed again. It's just not my day. Moving right along....

TB46,
Sorry to hear about the shoddy build quality on the PZ1188s, i hope the cheeseball components perform better than they look ....

About the file upload function on this website: Instead of using the DIYaudio file service you could just use one of the free imagehosting websites out there and just paste the link you are given using the "insert image" button .... That is what i have been doing lately .. .

Driver updates

I think i may add the JBL 2206H/J driver to the list of excellent drivers for use in the Karlflex12 ...
Someone pointed out to me that the 2206's parameters are similar to that of the Definimax12 which makes it a nearly ideal driver for this design:D ..https://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2206.pdf..

As it turns out the JBL 2206H/J can be found on Ebay (used) for a very reasonable price! (much less than you would pay for a new Definimax)....

I am still waiting to hear back from Sebastian regarding the verdict on that 15LB100 , if the severe coloration is in fact being produced by the driver itself then i will have to take it off of the driver list for the wideband Karlflex, or just designate it as "bass only" duty ..

Hi, I tried the
Electro-Voice EVM-15L speakers instead of The Box​
15LB100.

The sound did indeed improve but it is still too congested and nasal.

Next I'll try to take out some stuffing in S1.

Sebastian,
Ok, good to know that the 15LB100 isn't entirely the problem :) (could even sound good once the box is fully figured out) ....
I am working on a couple of ideas for you .... Be sure to let us know what happens with your S1/stuffing experiment ..

Somehow i can not upload pictures, had the same problem the other
day??

That seems to be an issue for some folks as of late .... You can always fall back to using an external image hosting site ..

Last edited:
I took out half the stuffing in S1 and it did not do any good to the sound. I think it got worse.... so maybe go the other way and stuff it harder and take the penalty of decreased low end, to see where that brings me.

I've also started massaging the new drivers with 20 hz sinus tone to speed up break in.