Open Source Monkey Box

These other DIY speaks are totally worth building (see pic). Have some unique attributes, but don't even come close the OSMC! I kinda expected this...but now I KNOW! Too fun.
Did you leave further details on this speaker at another thread or would you mind to give your comparative impression somewhere? It does look like a 10-inch econowave. I find it interesting to learn more about the differences.

The standard VM752 has a straight "horn", as seen here:
Volt Loudspeakers | VM752 (3″ Midrange Dome)

The AOS special version has a round "horn", as seen here (it's called the VM753, I believe):
Volt Loudspeakers | Hobby HiFi Reviews 04/2018

Wilmslow also sell a VM753, this time with a straight "horn". I don't know if/how this is different to the VM752.

The different "horns" produce different SPL curves and different dispersion.

Edit: looking at this, the VM753 seems to have a smaller magnet and different TSP parameters than the VM752. The VM753 is not a suitable replacement for the VM752 in the Monkey Coffin.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Oh YES!!!!! Fantastic! Great job! Enjoy. Love the white. :D:D

On a side note...I recently built a second pair of pseudo-DIY speaks—a modified 2 way based on the JBL 328c which is designed for in wall applications, it has an on board Xover... you can separate the back loaded tweeter and put it in a horn lens JBL makes with an L-pad to control it on top of a front ported box ~16.5Hx14Wx12.5"D box... This is part of my "2 system dream"...and it's been awesome to run these next to the OSMC for an A/B frame of reference. Makes me wonder all over how great the OSMC are. To be fair the JBLs are actually totally competent in a standalone world, punchy and fun—but they really are not comparable to the OSMCs "proper 3-way" in terms of details, mid-range, and bass extension (I didn't think they would be, 8" and all...but had to make stuff, and the project crossed my path—and contrast is always good IMO).

Joined 2019
Paid Member
It's taken a long time but here are some pics of my Monkey tower speaker cabinets. Now for the fun part.

My apologies for the amateur quality pics. Background, lighting, and iPhone camera are certainly not the best.

The backside view shows the position of the bottom of the speaker volume and the xover space below. The hole at center back is for the speakOn connector.

A 1000 thanks to M and P and the others for answers and guidance to a lot of questions.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 186
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Received my housings yesterday and I’m very pleased with the result.
24mm multi-ply with 1,5mm maple veneer, oiled.
The front is CNC milled from both sides (on the inside to get the midrange aligned with the front).
Unfortunately the orientation of the veneer on the top is not as I wanted it, but I can easy live with that.

Sorry for the bad quality: give me a mobile phone or a top range camera- the pictures I take are always trash…

osmc1.JPG

osmc2.JPG

osmc3.JPG

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Attached are pics of one of my speakers with the drivers installed and my xover project. Getting closer to sound - slowly. I would appreciate a second set of eyes on the xover wiring. Are they ok? Don't want to blow up my new speaker. The speakers are way cool and I can hardly wait to drop the needle and hear the result.

I ran into a hiccup with the melamine pyramid tile. Acoustic Solutions will only sell it in a full box right now. 14 tiles, $477. Twice what I need. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullitt.

Thanks,

Don

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 263