Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Feedback changes the overall sound, at least to some extent. Changing overall gain results in less noise, so if you really
want to tweak and tune, set R9 for the minimum value you need in your particular system.
The cap multiplier capacitor (C7) can be bigger if you like.
If you have a bipolar cap for C8, you may use it there. Also worth mentioning that C8 has very little voltage across it, so even a
16V cap will be more than enough.
PSU caps near the regulators can be bigger, use whatever you have that can fit., One sometimes overlooked advantage of the
7800/7900 series regulators is how much capacitance you can hang downstream of them with the regulators not caring one bit.
Before spending lots of money on frilly boutique capacitors, buy a MEGA328 tester (Amazon has them for about $15-20) and a
bag full of 0.1uF caps that fit the PCB, then measure and match the RIAA critical ones (C3, C4) as close you can per position per
channel. Same thing with the RIAA caps, channel to channel matching Left to Right will be of great benefit, almost as good as
getting everything exactly on value. Do the same thing with the resistors.
If you have very tightly matched JFETs, or want to get a bunch and match them yourselves, you can lower the input stage source
resistors (R4 R5 R6 R7) to around 4.7ohms or even less. It might make some small difference with noise.
The loading R and C on the DIP switch can be whatever you want, the included values are just suggestions. They will, however,
get you a lot of different options. If you know your cartridge performs wonderfully with a particular loading resistor, absolutely
change one to your perfect value.

This P-3 measures better with higher gain.

I adjusted the value or R22 down to 100R and the jumper in place the Gain went down to 46dB the entire series of Harmonic Distortions showed up in the FFT Plot.

With R22 at the specified 220R and the jumper in place the Gain was 50dB with no HD's above the FFT Plot noise floor.

If you want 40dB of gain tor a MM cartridge I do not see any HD's in the noise floor of the Bugle RIAA pre-amp. I used the same 7815 and 7915 regulated supplies as used in the P-3, plus opa1656 op-amps.

Thanks DT

Reactions: 1 user
Been doing some more 'auditioning' of PSU's. The Kit PSU's I was using in Duel Mono config don't belong to me (built some more P3's for others) so I had to use my own, which was originally 30,000uF 63v. So Ive now swapped those out for some 4700uF 25v with Nichicon (so called) Audio Grade CAPs4700uF 25v in the CRCRC config, the rectifiers are SMD's on the under side of the board.

IMG_2849.jpg

and opamps.... These OP27's singles, sound really good, yes I'm pushing them at 15v (these are at least 20 years old should be 12v new variant will run to 22v) but back in the day used these in a few CDPlayers with great results. Early days though....

IMG_2847.jpg

There seems to be a benefit to running two single opamps.

Yes that makes sense, would have been nice though with a shootout
Agree, but failing that, you can gather some data from those of us that have compared the Pearl 3 with our current/past phono pres.
Have two vinyl systems, both with VPI Primes, and one used Slee's Accession MC and the other, the E,A.R. 834 tube pre (yes, it's the Chinese clone version....).
As stated above, the Pearl 3 blows them both out of the water. While the Slee is somewhat similar in terms of accurate SS amplification, it just isn't as dynamic, quiet, and timbrally correct as the Pearl. Most telling are transients: they explode out of the Pearl but are just very good with the Slee.
The 834 is a completely different kind of device -- it has plenty of that tube warmth but sounds sloppy by cf. to the Pearl.
So others on this thread might add their comparative information to help amplitude flesh out a more full picture as to how the Pearl would compare with retail machines in a shootout. Would love to hear from someone who has heard a phono pre significantly better than the Pearl.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The highest high-end, "nosebleed solution" second-chassis power supply for Pearl3, turns out to be UDP3 (link to thread).

Of course, a complete madman who believes "if some is good then more is better" might decide to gild the lily even further. Such a person might hire a circuit designer to engineer an additional power supply in yet a third chassis, and have it deliver an extremely heavily filtered ±31.1VDC to the input of UDP3. Thus: ACmains ---> Box3 AC-to-DC power supply ---> Box2 UDP3 ---> Box1 Pearl3.

Your circuit designer can explain why it is (or is not) possible to apply ±31.1VDC instead of a dual secondary 2x22VAC transformer, to the UDP3 inputs. They'll probably charge you for at least 1 hour of consulting time, to explain how it works and to answer your follow up questions.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
way back when, Corey Greenberg built a simple preamp -- and improved it with dual regulation at the suggestion of John Curl.

and more recently Steve Guttenberg compared an Amp Camp Amp with several others for the audiophiliac.

just sayin'
I remember that. Wasn't it a no gain deal using video buffers of some sort? "Aunt Corey's buffer" or something like that?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
yup. a buffered passive preamp. can't recall the op amps.

my point was that there can be and has been a productive intersection between diy and mainstream audio.

and the Audiophiliac did a comparison very like what was asked for... but for a different Pass design down the audio chain.

germane I thought...