Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I can see doing that for the RIAA network and possibly for gain setting resistors but not the input load.
I doubt that will make much of an audible difference.
Does anyone else have any data or a verifiable opinion on this?
You could do a quick experiment with yourself as the test subject. Temporarily tack-solder a new capacitor in parallel with the left channel cartridge loading capacitor you're using in your Pearl 3. Choose this new capacitor to be about 10% of the value of the cartridge loading capacitor. Now you've introduced a 10% cartridge loading mismatch between the left channel of your Pearl 3 and the right (unmodified) channel. Listen to your favorite music and see whether this cartridge loading mismatch has affected the sound. Is it better? same-no-change-at-all? worse? I don't know whether diyAudio members would consider your results "a verifiable opinion" . . . . but YOU would, and maybe that's the only thing that matters.

Reactions: 1 user
6 month ago I was soooooo stupid selling 3 kilos of styroflex capacitors, many 1%, I just ordered 50 100pf and 50 1 nf siemens styroflex 1% 630v .
Wayne did build it using 0.1 parts and match those also, but I dont think you actually can hear any mismatch below 5%, it's just my OCD, and the excitement when plotting response curves, when you cant tell them apart
It can never hurt to be precise. I'm guilty of doing the same thing at times. But I have learned to not spend time on things that don't return clear results worth the effort or money.

Hello amplidude,

your efforts on matching the parts for the PEARL 3 so closely are worth some respect. If it is necessary...
You will hear...
You could test different caps in the C1 and C12 position. The advice of 6L6 to try the Panasonic ECW-FE-series is good. You can also try bigger ones (film caps) by soldering two short wires into your pcb in the C1 and C12 -
position and you could solder / clip different caps to the wires - only for testing. Let your ears decide.
I did something similar...
What I can tell you for sure: your PEARL 3 will give you a smile on your face... :)
Also if you are used to listen to pretty expensive commercial phono pres.
Have fun!
Cheers
Dirk

Hello amplidude,
one pic of my single opamp version of the PEARL 3 with bigger caps in the C1 / C12 position (big red ones).
Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• PEARL 3_SingleOPAmp_boards.jpg
    PEARL 3_SingleOPAmp_boards.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: 1 users
...Temporarily tack-solder a new capacitor in parallel with the left channel cartridge loading capacitor you're using in your Pearl 3. Choose this new capacitor to be about 10% of the value of the cartridge loading capacitor. Now you've introduced a 10% cartridge loading mismatch between the left channel of your Pearl 3 and the right (unmodified) channel. Listen to your favorite music and see whether this cartridge loading mismatch has affected the sound...
To be OCD accurate it would need to be a MONO recording to evaluate any possible difference in sound. :)

My hearing is bad after years in heavy industry, and my lack of common sense to use ear protection.
So red green blue purple caps, I can not hear it, but the building process I like.
20240623_110312.jpg

I started matching th e rest today, using polycarbonates, would like to say praise to the hantek lcr meter,
Its sorting function is really great, it does not only say good/bad but tells you the percentage calculated on your reference part.
Ps my test socket for transistors is perfect here, easy in easy out.

Reactions: 2 users
With this setup I find many good matches, and I do have many capacitors in those small values, many others with different dielectrics.
If anybody want to avoid buying large quantities and match, I can find some good sets and mail them.
I only ask to be compensated for posting and parts prices.
20240623_113906.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I am pondering over the psu, looked through my stuff and found two transformers that deliver 15 volt, I am thinking of some CLCLC followed by 7818 7918 regulators, so sending +/÷ 18 volt up to the pearl 3, this is a sanity check.
I would like dual mono, and pearl 3 present only 200 ohm load, I have a variety of small bobbing that could fit the bill.
Ps the transformers have glue on them, but some sandpaper and hard work should clean it up nicely.
20240623_153616.jpg

Reactions: 1 users