pg. 208 Stereophile mag Oct 2007 Industry Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
labjr said:
I don't have a problem with using ICs in a product. There are some decent sounding opamps. However I have a problem with companies like Graham Slee selling $1200-1400 phono preamps with $15-20 total parts bill as in the September Issue of Stereophile.

I wonder how much effort is spent hand picking the OP-Amps?
Niose?
Bandwidth?
etc.

Same for resistors & caps.
0.1% matching tolerance?

Conrad Hoffman said:
GRollins- You're hitting right on the problem, but I can't accept the conclusion that measurements in general are of no help. What's no help is measuring the same old c*r*a*p that we've been measuring for decades. I've little doubt that the differential techniques I like would show differences between your amps of differing sound stage. The problem is, all that could be said is they were different. There's no way to analyze the differences and make any kind of prediction ahead of the listening session as to what we might hear. My frustration is that lots of much smarter people have looked at these sorts of issues for a long time, and reached no consensus at all. In spite of all the inexpensive computer based tools we now have, allowing tests that were impossible a while back, everyone seems to have given up. IMO, maintaining the status quo is probably better for those with a financial stake in selling equipment, than if we really could test and evaluate with certainty.

One thing that I wish reviewers would do is to measure the frequency response of the amplifier at the speaker terminals of the speakers they are listening to. Never underestimate the change in sound or soundstage that a small difference in frequency response can make.

The closest we come to this is JA's frequency response curves into a common simulated speaker load. I'd like to see it with THE speaker being listened to.

Cheers,
Bob

Stereophile mag Oct 2007

"I wonder how much effort is spent hand picking the OP-Amps?
Niose?
Bandwidth?
etc.

Same for resistors & caps.
0.1% matching tolerance?"

Add to the list" Rail to Rail Performance" audible characteristics of chosen resistors, type of, and manufacturer of passive components in their respective locations"
My apologies for taking this thread further off the topic.However, it should not have been necessary to try and redress the lack of balance of the original post. I hope that some members at least, now have some inkling of the hidden costs involved in getting a product to market.
Thank you Sy and others for your patience and tolerance.
SandyK

john curl said:
KBK, I like your input, but please don't come to conclusions. I gave up horns 30 years ago, although I miss some of their impact and other qualities. I like a realistic human voice, and the K-horns did not give that to me.
My comments on IC's is nothing personal, but I do note that most manufacturers opt for IC's rather than discrete. No IC has passed my way that would cause me to give up discrete design. If you know one, show me.

This is why I always attach conditionals to things. Recall I said 'for the most part' about the ear ignoring the back wave. We still hear it, but not remotely like we weight the leading edge via our hearing. :) We all..well...not all realize this...there is still many a horn fanatic.

My business partner and I have analysed the 'horn' for about 10-12 years and are about to mount an attack on it's issues. Gonna fix that puppy.

As you well know, we try to help our fellow audio dudes on their journey..but we reach a point where we say too much and it affects our ability to make an income; to put bread on the table. The post on hearing vs measurment is one of those. I may in the future regret posting it. For it is definitely true.

When you have a certain level of intelligence, or capacity, or a 'level of existence' people you can relate to can sometimes be few and far between. Hell no - they most definitely are few and far between.

I have been accused of making friends 'uncomfortable' when in line-ups at the theater or the like. I can get verbal or loud, in some ways. Saying seemingly strange things, or letting out some strange thoughts. Strange to most.

Every now and then, when in those crowds I metaphorically scream 'MARCO!' Sometimes some other intreped soul gets it, and yells back "POLO!"..and I am given an opportunity to reach another person who is actually listening. And they..reach me.

And by fits and starts we help in the elevation of the Art, for those who are listening. We cut through the noise to find the signal.

As for IC's vs Discrete, I think that discrete is notably better, yes. But I can't design a circuit to save my life. But I can optimize it, re PS, substrates, material junctions, noise control, vibration, layout, fields, and all of that concerning the materials science, down to the wave/particle level. I do it strictly on intuition and it has not failed me yet.

I will say a thing that will cause a ruckus: I do it by visualizing the complex aspects of atomic structures (wave/particle/vortex, etc) in totality. Yes, I visualize with appropriate weighting. Hollistically. A tough one for the math nerds, I know, but some can do it. I can. It's just not a common thing, is all. Took me years to build that tool, as you might imagine. To say that it is a valuble tool, would be the understatement of the century.

Has anyone actually USED these opamps?

Has anyone actually USED these National opamps? I ask because I HAVE. I built a control preamp with balanced inputs, DC coupling and a DC servo using a total of three of the duals. The input is 10K balanced unity gain differential, using resistor networks (high common mode rejection). One dual opamp has both channels running through it. For a volume control, I used a 100K cermet dual pot with a 15K resistor between its wiper to ground (approximates a log taper). The next gain stage has a non inverting gain of ten using one dual per channel. The second opamp in each chip is the servo. The circuit's frequency response is 3 db down at under 1 Hz and over 100 kHz. The output resistor is 10 ohms. The unit is powered by a pair of 15 volt three terminal regulators. I deliberately used a less then perfect power supply, because these opamps claim 120 db power supply rejection.

I have been in pro and high end audio for over 25 years. Over the years, I've owned McIntosh amps, highly modified Adcom amps and preamps, various Dynaco amps and preamps (Both tube and solid state), and about a thousand Rotels, Technics receivers, NAD integrated amps, etc. My speakers include KLH Model 9 electrostatics rebuilt by Dave Janszen, the original designer's son-with parts from his dad's new stock.

I've also owned over the years Celestion SL-700's, and on and on. Right now I have full range speakers crossed over to a supertweeter at 8000 Hz. My amp is a T amp heavily modified.

I'm telling you this so you know that I know good audio when I hear it....

These opamps are FABULOUS!!! YES, a silicon chip can sound excellent! I've heard many preamps over the years and these are among the BEST I HAVE HEARD! In many ways, they sound like nothing at all....and I mean that in the best way.

My point is this...before you trash something, TRY IT FIRST! You might be pleasently surprised!

Of course, in the subjective audio industry, politics is likely as important as sound, isn't it?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SpittinLLama said:
Thanks for the responses (couple pages back) but I don't think I am going to get answers. I don't think we know it all about measuring (or anything) and what signals used to excite the amp. I liked seeing some ideas on different signals but that seem to die fast. Why couldn't a complex waveform, like a sample of music, be used to test and then an FFT run on the signal and amp signal. Comparing the two FFTs shoud show what is added/changed by the amp. Sort of like the differential method. Would this give meaningful info? Of course, A FFT is a snapshot in time at a single point but it should be possible to have a sample of music that can have an FFT run at the same point in time. Seems this is not out of the reach with all the computer test equipment available now. I have a lowly AP One system but don't know how to trigger the FFT at the same point in time. -SL

Like so: http://www.libinst.com/Audio DiffMaker.htm ?

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SpittinLLama said:
Any input on what the distortion components are of the green waveform? The axis are not correct as this is the output from the AP reading and the AP has level adjustment internal. But the shape should be some indication. The signal (large waveform) is 20kHz. Due to the limitations of the AP I can't do an FFT to see distortion products of a 20kHz signal. I also don't have a really nice spectrum analyzer that will do such frequency ranges. The THD goes from 0.0015% up to about 0.006% when this shape shows up in the time domain distortion signal. Being a newbie (over 10 years working audio) I can't tell just from looking what the major prodcuts are. It might help me figure out why the THD rises so much in this range of operation.

Thanks to those who give ideas.
-SL

One thing you can say is that the distortion wave shows that the amp gain is asymmetrical. The distortion wave is different for pos then for neg parts of the wave. This means mostly odd order components. Could also be an amp close to clipping, you see the same sort of thing.

I don't think any distortion shape gives a clue as to why it rises with frequency. Almost always that is because your nfb goes down with frequency.

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Has anyone actually USED these opamps?

dpuopolo said:
Has anyone actually USED these National opamps? I ask because I HAVE. I built a control preamp with balanced inputs, DC coupling and a DC servo using a total of three of the duals. The input is 10K balanced unity gain differential, using resistor networks (high common mode rejection). One dual opamp has both channels running through it. For a volume control, I used a 100K cermet dual pot with a 15K resistor between its wiper to ground (approximates a log taper). The next gain stage has a non inverting gain of ten using one dual per channel. The second opamp in each chip is the servo. The circuit's frequency response is 3 db down at under 1 Hz and over 100 kHz. The output resistor is 10 ohms. The unit is powered by a pair of 15 volt three terminal regulators. I deliberately used a less then perfect power supply, because these opamps claim 120 db power supply rejection.

I have been in pro and high end audio for over 25 years. Over the years, I've owned McIntosh amps, highly modified Adcom amps and preamps, various Dynaco amps and preamps (Both tube and solid state), and about a thousand Rotels, Technics receivers, NAD integrated amps, etc. My speakers include KLH Model 9 electrostatics rebuilt by Dave Janszen, the original designer's son-with parts from his dad's new stock.

I've also owned over the years Celestion SL-700's, and on and on. Right now I have full range speakers crossed over to a supertweeter at 8000 Hz. My amp is a T amp heavily modified.

I'm telling you this so you know that I know good audio when I hear it....

These opamps are FABULOUS!!! YES, a silicon chip can sound excellent! I've heard many preamps over the years and these are among the BEST I HAVE HEARD! In many ways, they sound like nothing at all....and I mean that in the best way.

My point is this...before you trash something, TRY IT FIRST! You might be pleasently surprised!

Of course, in the subjective audio industry, politics is likely as important as sound, isn't it?

I use them in my DCX2496 remote volume/offset control mod kit . So far I have done 4 or 5 demo's at people's house or for friends on my own system. Without exception, the comment was that there is now much more difference between CD's that they thought were all 'pretty good'. More things heard that they were not aware of that they were on the CD.

Now, I'm firmly in the camp that if you hear a difference it must be possible to measure it. But fore this, I don't really know what to measure. I'm not comfortable with it, but I can't sweep it under the rug. There's something in those chips (and possibly in others) that give it an edge.

Jan Didden

john curl said:
The original point of this thread was whether Charles was saying anything important or just advertising his product.

John,

I suspect I can call this on-topic :) . Just for the comparison here is a link to one example (of many) of what the creator of these nice phonoamps (with a price tag that so upsets labjr) says about his design:

http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/i...n=display&thread=1191476591&page=1#1191953991

Would you call that advertising? :) .

Cheers

Alex

jackinnj said:
I would say that it's an admission of guilt -- adding a 680R resistor to the output adds 3.4 nV/Rt Hz noise at room temperature -- offsetting the benefit of using an Opamp like the LM4562 or th ADxxx, OPAxxx, and LTxxx.

That is nothing :) . The noise on the output anyway is in order of 100-500 nV/Rt Hz . But I really liked his explanations about the feedback and the need to get his own low capacitance interconnects :)

janneman said:
He also says that a scratch sound - which comes from a mechanical pick-up, is so fast that an amp can't follow it. That's an extraordinary claim.
It's back to that tired old story of the fb that comes to late bla bla.

But maybe we need these kind of fairy tales to keep these designers occupied.

And their customers :)

Cheers,

Alex

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
GRollins said:
The spectral analysis of a pop goes well over 100kHz. It's not infinitely fast, but it's a pretty nasty signal to inflict on a "normal" phono stage. Why do you regard that as extraordinary?

Grey

Really? I'd like to see that spectral plot.

Anyway, I think you didn't read my post correctly. I said his claim that such a scratch was so fast that an amp can't follow it is extraordinary.

Jan Didden

Jan, you are talking in an area that you don't understand. Back in 1978, I published mistracking artifacts out to 200KHz in an IEEE paper. I have seen 500KHz artifacts.
The reason is that the phono cartridge 'differentiates' the mechanical signal and that is what makes it so nasty. I.E. triangle waves become square waves, square waves become pulses, etc.
I have measured 5us peak periods of pulses directly from phono cartridges. That is one major reason why it is so difficult to make a good phono stage with cheap IC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.