Pics new DIY Yuichi and large 'Altec' Bass Horn

I actually have 4 wood lathes and two metal lathes....

Well, let me rephrase that -

I just joined a local church Men's Shed which has been blessed with about 30 pieces of commercial wood working and metal working machines. They operate on Thursday and Saturday...and they're only five min from my home.

See attached pics, including one of the old timers working on my tweeter horn.

One of the wood lathes has a relocating chuck, so I can turn large shapes when the chuck is rotated 90 degrees.

If I build the larger 65cm horn (25 inches diameter), then I'd CNC the ply in a series of rings/donoughts like I did with the tweeter horn.

Have you seen this guy on You Tube turning a 95cm horn...? Wild.

Turning MDF 95cm Tractrix horns on big lathe - YouTube

Attachments

• lathe.png
    lathe.png
    486.5 KB · Views: 429
  • mens shed.png
    mens shed.png
    524.9 KB · Views: 419
Oups, I use to see the more vertical VOT here, I didn't know this one http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...yuichi-large-altec-bass-horn.html#post4044898 was an offical Altec VOT also !

Defintly no waf, but if had a man cave it would be a big Onken or a VOT like that.

I assume under 80 to 60 hz you don't need EQ because the room mods ?

To clarify, the bass horn in this thread is not an Altec VOTT horn...it is a horn of my own design. It takes some cue from the A7, eg the throat size and flare of horn.

The large chamber is to assist bass depth below the horn cut-off.

With miniDSP I'm playing around with different EQ settings...and I've applied about 8dB gain around 50Hz. In-room response is good for domestic hi-fi use.

Even though this horn is slightly smaller (overall) than the VOTT A7, it is heavier due to the complex bracing structure. About 100Kgs each (220 pounds).

Terribly sad you think this has no WAF...!! The gent who's collecting these has a W who's quite keen on the look...!! I think the natural Birch wood looks quite nice...not heavy looking.

Tweeter horns now added, using Selenium D220Ti drivers.

Horn is 1500Hz, which xover points being trialled around 5,000Hz and 8,000Hz.

Certainly a musical tweeter, as opposed to the 'tiss tiss' sound of the small Realistic (Japan) super tweeter currently in place.

I previously used this driver on an Azura horn...and it tested very flat...which is great considering only US$50 each.

Attachments

• finished with stand.jpg
    finished with stand.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 130
  • finished with stand 2.jpg
    finished with stand 2.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 100
  • finished with stand 3.png
    finished with stand 3.png
    501.8 KB · Views: 98
My fave too!
Especially in a five-way.
Although mine still doesn't sound as fine as Jeffrey's...

Ha.

What is your system?

My current rig (not the Yuichi) is made up of:

Azura 340Hz horn with massive JBL 2445 CD
Mid bass is Eminence Kappalite 12 inch neo
Bass is EV 18 inch pro driver in 200 liter ported cab.

MiniDSP for all 3 channels, and six channel Holton Precision Audio amp. (Although I'm also testing 2A3 SET amp for the Azura horn at resent.)

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/index.htm

The 340 Azura is the best horn I've heard...over Altec 511, 811, 8005, Smith....definately a keeper. It also sounded great on the Altec bass horn, plus the VOTT A7...see pics.

Yet to decide on tweeter...although the new round wood tweeter in this thread was intended to go into my system. I'll decide to build another, or possibly get the smallest Azura horn, 550hz with one inch CD.

I'm very tempted to replace the Azura 340 with a ply wood horn, like the attached pic....I just love building stuff...plus I now have access to lathes.

I'm also tempted to try the large 160hz Azura (plus the 550Hz model) to have a full fibreglass trio system. I'd retain the EV 18's for bass duties...as these are very fast, and can go to 250Hz easily.

Yesterday, I took delivery of some American Walnut veneered panels for me to build an outer cabinet for my mid bass and EV bass modules....as these 4 boxes look crappy. The new outer cabinet will slide over the existing boxes...and will have a new 'vintage' grill cloth like this from Parts Express. The Azura will sit on top.

Speaker Grill Cloth Fabric Beige/Brown Yard 36" Wide

Attachments

• finished pair side view.png
    finished pair side view.png
    452 KB · Views: 260
  • single finished.jpg
    single finished.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 263
  • JBL rear.png
    JBL rear.png
    498.2 KB · Views: 278
  • mid bass and bass cab.jpg
    mid bass and bass cab.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 269
  • stand 1.png
    stand 1.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 261
Current system is a pair of tapped horns up to a pair of 50 Hz front loaded (tractrix) mid bass horns, the 140 Hz eleven horns/JBL Drivers, 650 Hz LeCleach field coil drivers MyEmia & JBL super tweeters. Time aligned, etc.
Was using a 46 amp, finishing up a 304TL SET.
Next project is dedicated amps for each voice coil.

I like the 140 Hz azuras too! Have a pair I was using with 10" Tannoy Reds, and JBL super tweeters. Was using them with the 50 Hz straight horns before the big wooden eleven horns arrived. Have an old pair of Karlsons I'm gonna put them on for a second system.

I like your nice, braced "altec ish" boxes. Stiffening panels up really makes a difference, doesn't it! I'll bet they sound a lot better than votts!
Especially with the 340 LeCleach horns on top :)
Looks good now, and they'll look really good with the cool cloth, & walnut veneer.

Are you building the outer boxes to slip-fit over the mid-bass boxes?
Or building in a gap, to fill with sand, or kitty litter or something?
I may do that with the tapped horns. They're built really well braced too, but you can still feel the walls vibrating when played loud. Too many projects...

Current system is a pair of tapped horns up to a pair of 50 Hz front loaded (tractrix) mid bass horns, the 140 Hz eleven horns/JBL Drivers, 650 Hz LeCleach field coil drivers MyEmia & JBL super tweeters. Time aligned, etc.
Was using a 46 amp, finishing up a 304TL SET.
Next project is dedicated amps for each voice coil.

I like the 140 Hz azuras too! Have a pair I was using with 10" Tannoy Reds, and JBL super tweeters. Was using them with the 50 Hz straight horns before the big wooden eleven horns arrived. Have an old pair of Karlsons I'm gonna put them on for a second system.

I like your nice, braced "altec ish" boxes. Stiffening panels up really makes a difference, doesn't it! I'll bet they sound a lot better than votts!
Especially with the 340 LeCleach horns on top :)
Looks good now, and they'll look really good with the cool cloth, & walnut veneer.

Are you building the outer boxes to slip-fit over the mid-bass boxes?
Or building in a gap, to fill with sand, or kitty litter or something?
I may do that with the tapped horns. They're built really well braced too, but you can still feel the walls vibrating when played loud. Too many projects...

Thanks...sounds like you have a really dynamic system. I've built all of the Volvotreter tapped horns, including the big ones...plus a Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba (low profile version), plus my own designed large "mid bass" front horn...see pics....also the 90Hz John Inlow bass horn.

I've also built large bass horns for US GOTO rep, Ming Su, which featured at the Rocky Mnt hi fi show. see pic attached. CNC'd in Birch Ply...heavy units for sure.

Because of room/tidyness...I got rid of the big horns...and I'm enjoying the punch and musicality of the 18 inch EV pro drivers. For domestic hifi, they do a great job.

I'm really taken by the field coil 650hz horn you have...that has a lot of appeal...plus, of course, the large wooden Eleven horn....I've got the basic skill and access to tools to do those wooden horns...just need some time and money...but I'll get there. I've been building speakers for Tannoy (GRF etc), Klipsch, Altec and Lowther for 15 years. See my own design of Lowther called the C-Horn...quite radical.

With my intended outer cabinet for the bass and mid bass, I was not intending to create a filled cavity. The cabs for the EV and Kappalite are very heavily engineered. The bass, for example, has 12 cross supports, and is made of one inch consuction heavy chip board...ugly...but very very heavy and solid. The mid bass is euro birch ply, heavily braced.

How do you do your xovers?

Do you have a pic or two?

Kindly.

Andrew

Attachments

• C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    C Horn Ian Berry.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 115
  • CHorn.jpg
    CHorn.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 100424_goto_011.jpg