Practical Implementations of Alternative Post-DAC Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I don't see the point of singling it out.

Scott, I think that the point of singling this out is that the change in sound character subjectively seems to manifest as more than a simple rolling-off the upper band edge. I've certainly heard components with a soft upper band edge before, however, this sounds different than those all have sounded. I doubt I would have on my own experimented with the DAC chip output response profile Joe had initially suggested, there would have been no technical reason to.

As I've stated before, I was very open to the possibility that the effect (since we aren't allowed to call it by it's other name) was some sort of euphonic effect stemming from the softened band edge. Joe's subsequent report that the band edge can be EQ'd back to flat while retaining the sound character casts doubt on that explanation.

Last edited:
Please, I am just not going to respond to this kind of stuff anymore. Yes, Scott did mention it, just read the posts... please.

He was responding to your assertions, please read the posts. Are you seriously now suggesting that Scott came up with this silly "-1dB@20KHz knee" on his own? Are you claiming that he was putting that forward as something significant, rather than questioning your claim?

Have you responded yet to Scott's questions about the significance of that magic point vs -1dB@30KHz, or any other number? Have you looked at the other data that goes back 30 years on this topic?

Dang it, I let myself get sucked into the void again. Time to go back to the music, I just got some lovely 180-gram pressings of Talking Heads first three studio albums.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
Chris, you are defending a certain orthodoxy, I get that. But it's also stiff and rigid, way too much for my liking. I honestly think you are wrong. It's also unnecessarily personal.
Well then, please excuse the personal component of my remarks. I only commented on what was on your web site while also reviewing some of the pricing information.

I do not question that you are giving this information away, and you do get marks for that. However, as a professional technician I really cannot accept the financial abuse your customers are getting. Yes, in that way I will always be inflexible. This is a comment that came from reviewing your web site and the information on it.

I am happy to withhold further comment until you do come up with something that satisfies our members - especially the technically learned ones. But by the same token, I don't expect to see any other claims without that information. I think we can both agree that nothing useful will come from further comments until you have a handle on how your modification does work, and also how it may affect distortion, S/N and maximum signal levels. You can't report on only sound quality as these changes may affect other factors. At least what I am requesting is dead easy to find out as they are standard measurements made on this type of product (the DAC).

As for the rules of DIY, you work in the audio field. As such you are to be held to a higher level and I think you would agree with that statement should our roles have been reversed. This should be an easy thing for you to accept, given your work history.

-Chris

Chris, sorry, but this is rehashing over and over again. It is personal since I see nobody else subjected to this kind of thing. It also puts my customers in a bad light.

However, as a professional technician I really cannot accept the financial abuse your customers are getting.

That is way over the top - I will certainly be telling them all that I have been accused of abusing them and I know what they will be thinking of you even suggesting it. And those who come around, I will even show them on the screen or tablet, because I have just saved this page as a bookmark.

I have done nothing to be ashamed of, in fact quite the opposite. I make people happy, just ask them.

I will also be showing them your Moderator tag.

And yes, we are working on a solution/solution and if we find that, it will be because I started this thread/went public. See, it might just work out the way I had hoped for.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ken Newton's comments on Joe's homepage seem to say otherwise...

“…the perceived sound goes from 'digital edginess' to 'analog smoothness'. The effect is very obvious, and surprising. Such smoothness is not to be mistaken for some kind of 'smoothed over' character, as the clarity across the band increases.

The Xxxxxxx Effect has removed upper midrange brashness and glare. The audible result of this removal is the restoration of more the sort of natural treble balance produced by live instruments... brass, cymbals, and bells now have quite distinctive tone color and weight. In addition, and perhaps surprisingly... a much more weighty sounding lower midrange and bass... The perceived beneficial affect on the lower frequency balance is quite strong.”

There is another possible explanation about perceived improvements. We may mention here that the systems used for playback it have their important impact for the accuracy of audio perceptions.
For me the most obvious improvements I have perceived/detected is in the soundstage quality. Of course these improvements for the perceived soundstage can come too from the above mentioned details (cumulated). There is normal that two or more individuals may have slightly different perceptions in this discussed audio field. However, there is huge important when about perceptions, the description of it (translating of these in words).
The main line here it is: improvements occur, and are dramatic.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Coris.
Your subjective appraisal points to change in subtly audible errors.
Reducing jitter could describe your findings.
Adding low levels of lowest order harmonics can also increase perceived focus, positioning and impact of individual sound sources without significantly affecting system low level white noise.
IIRC some measurement graphs posted recently showed increase in lowest order harmonics ?.

You obviously have suitable modifiable DAC board running.
Would you like to rerun some experiments for us all ?.
1 - Revert schematic to original/normal configuration, take a listen.
2 - Add 1uF shunt caps, take a listen.
3 - Remove 1uF shuntcaps, take a listen.
4 - Add 0.33F supercaps, take a listen.
5 - Remove 0.33F supercaps, take a listen.
6 - Add 22uF SMD, take a listen.
7 - Add 0.33F supercaps, take a listen.
8 - Add 1.0uF shunt caps, take a listen.
Write notes at the end of each trial.
You get the idea, listen to each component change individually, then listen to each of the permutations available with the three components in question, but revert the schematic to original condition between trials in order to reestablish/reset hearing memory.

This will take some time on your part but would be much appreciated and ought to help the discussion.
If you are able to provide measurements of each experiment would be very useful also.

Dan.

I may only repeat: the more impressions, and descriptions of perceived sounds/improvements, from more people, the better the overall image of what is all about this "effect". And more clear may become the measurements approaches (where to looks for changes). Therefore is important to have many of us involved, who experienced by themselves this filtering method in their own gears.

I did of course the experiments you mentioned, but not so systematic to write down the impressions. I have registered differences for my own, and concluded then that it is worth to use this trick, because it bring improvements. I may do it again, but it may take a little bit time, as for moment I`m a little bit busy with some different things.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just for clarity how many subjective reports do we have. Any advance on 2?

We can not have many reports about this effect, if one do not DIY this...

There is a guy here who state that he know very well (using the circuit theory) how the circuit works, and do not need any more to experience the sounds out of the gear... Unfortunately, very wrong!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nobody force you to participate here.
Are you not interested in this, then please leave it for more interesting threads... which may fit better to your communication needs.

Acting aggressively or tendentious against one or another individuals involved here is not something it may honour yourself. We may not need "heroes" to save the (audio) world...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.