Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

For me is a pleasure give help to improve PaXoverRack, with last file, it is all OK! Well done... Tomorrow I'll try with a player and I'll stress it (also EQ) :-D Thank you...

Sorry I forgot I have Ubuntu Studio, With fedora Jam it was impossible, I think too many dependency... or other bugs... if you wanna play... I can reinstall Fedora Jam :-D

Last edited:
Until I will have time to play with another packaging strategy for arch and rpm based distros I will have to postpone this...

Anyways, here's a new release with bugfixes incorporated:
Code:
pulseaudio-crossover-rack (1.81) stable; urgency=high
  *  bugfix:
     - fixed several locations where float values were given to PyQT
       calls and floats were expected.
 -- Jürgen Herrmann <t-5@t-5.eu>  Fri, 19 May 2022 21:06:26 +0200

Hi, I have lost the PaXoverRack.Input in my sound preferences.

I have been having a few cabling issues and in the midst of diagnosing this I (foolishly it seems) decided it would be a good idea to reset pulseaudio defaults using the menu option. Since doing this PaXoverRack.Input is not present.

When I insert a module I get the following in the application console

INSERTING NEW PAXOVERRACK MODULES...

[19:36:38.969385] inserted module for 'Output'

[19:36:38.979460] inserted module for 'LR2HighPass'

[19:36:38.997117] inserted module for 'woofer'

[19:36:39.012768] inserted module for 'ParametricEQ'

[19:36:39.031575] inserted module for 'LR2LowPass'

[19:36:39.043816] inserted module for 'Input'

[19:36:39.055322] set default_sink to PaXoverRack.Input

[19:36:39.202339] wrote backup of ~/.config/pulse/default.pa

[19:36:39.204369] wrote ~/.config/pulse/default.pa
So it seems to be there, but doesn't appear in the sound output options so I cant select it.
When using the test speakers function in sound preferences all are OK.

Does anyone know how to make it come back?

Hi, I have lost the PaXoverRack.Input in my sound preferences.

I have been having a few cabling issues and in the midst of diagnosing this I (foolishly it seems) decided it would be a good idea to reset pulseaudio defaults using the menu option. Since doing this PaXoverRack.Input is not present.

When I insert a module I get the following in the application console

So it seems to be there, but doesn't appear in the sound output options so I cant select it.
When using the test speakers function in sound preferences all are OK.

Does anyone know how to make it come back?
Solved the problem by recreating a crossover file from scratch and inserting it, PaXoverRack.Input has now reappeared!

i just updated to Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and now all the modules i insert (and crossovers i have previously created) no longer show on Pax. They seem to be "there" but are invisible. The Minimize/Maximize/Close in the upper right corner are visible on everything except the Input - which is completely invisible. Connecors between modules are also visble.

I really hate how upgrades seem to break things it seems every time!

Has anyone else seen this and hoping its a simple fix.

I'm no version 1.80 of Pax

Last edited:
Fixed!! i uninstalled Pax, then reinstalled. Along the way, i noticed that the upgrade i had lost reference to the APT Source
(reran these commands from the T5 Repository
wget -q https://t-5.eu/debian/pubkey.txt -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo bash -c "echo deb https://t-5.eu/debian/ repo main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/t-5.eu.list"
sudo apt-get update) and then reinstalled.

Now everything seems to be working great!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for the almost dup post, but his is just a better description of my problem (late and tired yesterday…).

To summarize, when i run a 2way crossover i get the intended signal on the channel just as i expected.

BUT i also get an attenuated version on the other channel from the same side. if i am sending lows to front right, i get attenuated lows on the right rear when i am testing with speaker-test. Same for the left side.

of course I don’t want to send even attenuated bass to my tweeters!

i am running the latest raspian 64bit.

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem as @bigbargain gain above, however the attenuated signal is delayed by about two seconds, like an old school delay pedal!.

I am using a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, which has pulse audio version 15.99.1 and I have installed the sink fixes and setup realtime scheduling.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I have gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem as @bigbargain gain above, however the attenuated signal is delayed by about two seconds, like an old school delay pedal!.

I am using a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, which has pulse audio version 15.99.1 and I have installed the sink fixes and setup realtime scheduling.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I have gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you also noticed my post 2 below the one you quoted above, but (just in cast) here goes..

so this experiment has NOT highlighted anything wrong with paxor or anything linux. Rather the problem was my understanding of speaker-test! I have assumed speaker-test was just cycling thru each output channel. Rather it is playing what would play thru your speaker(s). if you, for example, sent a signal to front right.

With paxor in place and a 2-way crossover, should result in the right front getting the full low frequency signal on the right front AND the attenuated low frequencies that would remain after crossover processing on the rear right. Just like my analog crossover does.

In other words, you SHOULD get an attenuated version of a “high” tone on the “low pass” channel.

I don’t have a theory why the channel might be delayed except if that signal path has a delay. But i expect it unlikely you didn’t check. Tho i HAVE been able to generate an out of sync between channels by quickly sweeping the crossover frequency when 2 channels are tied together. But if you stop and restart Pax, it goes away. Neither sounds like your problem, so probably not much help…. I tried…

Not sure if you also noticed my post 2 below the one you quoted above, but (just in cast) here goes..

so this experiment has NOT highlighted anything wrong with paxor or anything linux. Rather the problem was my understanding of speaker-test! I have assumed speaker-test was just cycling thru each output channel. Rather it is playing what would play thru your speaker(s). if you, for example, sent a signal to front right.

With paxor in place and a 2-way crossover, should result in the right front getting the full low frequency signal on the right front AND the attenuated low frequencies that would remain after crossover processing on the rear right. Just like my analog crossover does.

In other words, you SHOULD get an attenuated version of a “high” tone on the “low pass” channel.

I don’t have a theory why the channel might be delayed except if that signal path has a delay. But i expect it unlikely you didn’t check. Tho i HAVE been able to generate an out of sync between channels by quickly sweeping the crossover frequency when 2 channels are tied together. But if you stop and restart Pax, it goes away. Neither sounds like your problem, so probably not much help…. I tried…

Hi, Thanks for replying. I did see your second post, however the problem sounded similar so I thought it was worth mentioning again!
It is an odd problem, maybe paxor doesnt work with the latest pulse audio? Hopefully someone else may have an idea?

Actually I recently upgraded to linux mint 21 which also uses pulseaudio 15.99.1 and this ist the first version of pulseaudio shipped with recent versions of ubuntu (und its derivates) which seems to work out of the box without any need for patches. So maybe applying the 13.99.1 sink fixes to 15.99.1 could have caused problems?
If your problems persist, please describe in more detail, and maybe start paxor from the console and post it's console output here.

Actually I recently upgraded to linux mint 21 which also uses pulseaudio 15.99.1 and this ist the first version of pulseaudio shipped with recent versions of ubuntu (und its derivates) which seems to work out of the box without any need for patches. So maybe applying the 13.99.1 sink fixes to 15.99.1 could have caused problems?
If your problems persist, please describe in more detail, and maybe start paxor from the console and post it's console output here.
OK, many thanks for getting back to me. I have just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04.1 - without paxor installed the audio worked fine, with no delay or distortion.

I installed paxor with no problems and then as I created a crossover to test I got the following error -
(It wouldn't let me copy or take it all in one screenshot so it is in two parts)

paxorerror1.png

paxorerror2.png

I created a basic two way crossover anyway and inserted it.

The problem that I am having is that when playing music the sound is distorted and out of sync - the woofer of my two way is second or so behind the tweeter, when I stop playback the woofer continues for a second or so.

I am using a xonar U7 so I disabled tsched on the default.pa but this has made no difference.

I have also changed the following in the daemon.conf but this had no effect.
resample-method = speex-float-1
avoid-resampling = false
I hope that can give you some pointers? Cheers!

this is what I get when run from terminal

~$ pulseaudio-crossover-rack
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Here is a screen shot of the end of the very long terminal window when its sends the crashreport

paxorerror3.png

Last edited: