Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• rolleyes.gif
    rolleyes.gif
    401 bytes · Views: 304
Off the topic but I completed Shunty and Pumpkin and powered Shunty up with recommended load resisters and adjusted by the book. However I powered Pumpkin (with no input or output tied to anything) and I had full rail voltage across the outputs (before caps). I removed the ground jumper and then it seemed to perform as normal (was able to adjust offset). I realize It was recommended to test with volume pot set to 0(waiting for new Twisted Pear Audio controller), would this be the expected behavior with out volume pot?

Bill

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wirewiggler said:
Off the topic but I completed Shunty and Pumpkin and powered Shunty up with recommended load resisters and adjusted by the book. However I powered Pumpkin (with no input or output tied to anything) and I had full rail voltage across the outputs (before caps). I removed the ground jumper and then it seemed to perform as normal (was able to adjust offset). I realize It was recommended to test with volume pot set to 0(waiting for new Twisted Pear Audio controller), would this be the expected behavior with out volume pot?

Bill

ground both inputs before setting offset ;
that's same as turning pot (if connected ) to 0

wirewiggler said:
Thanks ZM will give that a try .....

Although my shunty is partially vapor (repair parts on order) - I attempted zeroing out pumpkin using a +-31v psu I cobbled together. Once I noticed that I put 5k multiturns in there for some reason(replaced with some 200r 20 turns I had in drawer), she dialed in with no problem. The 5k would have worked but way too touchy. It is VERY sensitive to air currents and needs 'tweedling', but it is obvious it's gonna work out fine. I have the gnd jumper installed and inputs grounded.

RE: the picture, Choky's gonna hang

:bigeyes: :)

Manu said:
Serious eating began

Merde de Putana, i'll be having succulent images in my sleep again.

Can't have that juicy stuff for a while, me fat, this week is truffes week, all NJ Jack's fault wih his talk about Bocuse and soupe de truffes.
So ce soiree was truffle soup, forgot to put the shrimp in before i made the pic, already have quite a bit of truffle oil after two days.
Tomorrow is pasta con tartufo, also have a truffle desert planned.

Attachments

• truffes2.jpg
    truffes2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 294
The transformers do run cool with the load resisters, but at 45V they heat the Shuntys up. It will have a vented cover and the Pumpkin will sit on top one those rubber feet. I could open some more holes in it, but it will weaken the chassis it is a flimsy Hammond aluminum. Maybe I will cut some large square openings under the Shunty boards and pop rivet the same screen I am using on the top in them.

Attachments

• shunty2.jpg
    shunty2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 315