quad 405 power amp advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pins 1 and 2 of the input socket connect the Earth lead directly to the chassis in the Quad 405 amplifier. Using two together does not make an Earth Loop as they effectively connect at one point only. See circuit diagramme of the 405.
If I knew how to send a PDF of it I would!

You mean these. Chassis and circuit grounds are clearly shown but where or if do they physically connect.

Edit... actually I see it now on the zoomed image. R2 to the lower right of the opamp.

Attachments

• Grounds.PNG
    Grounds.PNG
    157.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Grounds2.PNG
    Grounds2.PNG
    212.8 KB · Views: 207
Looks like Quad use the 3bars in a triangle shape as the Chassis symbol.
And use the line with 4 angled tick marks as the Audio Ground symbol.

Chassis is connected to Audio Ground at SK1 and at R16
Chassis is connected to PE at the power input socket.

Are there any other Chassis connections?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They are all from the same manual which shows all the different versions. (Its to large to put in zipped folder)

Here is the first and last version.

Attachments

• First Version.PNG
    First Version.PNG
    259.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Last version..PNG
    Last version..PNG
    242.5 KB · Views: 99
I think the phono input was not floating, but can't remember clearly.

Would it be okay to give it a try i have a few cables i made up with crocodile clips on each end, was thinking of hooking the two phono grounds together, then with a second cable run to the chassis, but i was concerned as the speaker return cable (negative speaker terminal) is also connected to the chassis and the mains earth cable is also connected to the chassis. What do you think about using the 10 ohm resistor or should i just directly ground the phonos.

Many thanks in advance. John.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I can't understand why you want to alter the original scheme in the first place. Grounding is so critical and does a lot more than just reduce or eliminate hum/noise. You would need to test it all very thoroughly making sure that there was no channel interaction for example. Fit a shorting plug to one input and drive the other to a high level into a real load so that the amp is delivering serious current. Make sure that nothing is reflected back into the other channel (which incorrect grounding can do). Then do the same for the other channel.

Unless there is a known and recognised issue I would not alter things on spec.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry not trying to be funny with you, I'm not trying to make any changes i can't remember what the original specs were, if the phonos inputs were floating or non floating, that's the question, but it appears from replies that the inputs were not floating.

Thank you. John.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.