Return-to-zero shift register FIRDAC

After the transformer and line amp?

Preferably straight after the transformer.

What if the modulators have tricks to hide noise in the absence of a signal?

Good point. When you play a soft low-frequency sine wave, you should see the noise ride on top of the sine wave when you look with an oscilloscope. If you manage to get it to trigger, or maybe with a one shot measurement, you can estimate the quasi peak-peak noise.

I'm curious if there is any relation with your ranking.

Preferably straight after the transformer.

Good point. When you play a soft low-frequency sine wave, you should see the noise ride on top of the sine wave when you look with an oscilloscope. If you manage to get it to trigger, or maybe with a one shot measurement, you can estimate the quasi peak-peak noise.

I'm curious if there is any relation with your ranking.
Will look into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Mark, how much out-of-band noise do you measure at the output of your filter with the various modulators? Could you measure the total quasi-peak-peak or RMS noise when playing silence through the modulators?
Playing a low level sine wav what I find is that with 3' long cable from dac output to transformer input, at the transformer input it looks just about like the unfiltered output of the dac (which is to say pulses at RF). Coming out of the transformer, scope vertical amplifier noise floor and ambient EMI/RFI dominate what can be seen. Only thing I have seen so far coming out of the transformer is some line level audio when I play music.

Marcel asked for after the transformer.

EDIT: I think the reason for wanting to take a look is to see whether differences reported subjective/discrimination of modulator and or upsampling filter sound could be attributed to, and or correlated with differences in noise visible on a scope. In retrospect, maybe not very likely. The differences found in reproduction of space/sound-stage were pretty subtle in comparison to the 8-bit resolution of a digital scope.

Last edited:
What problem did you have with the poly sinc gauss xx filters..
(poly sinc gauss long for safety, poly sinc gauss xla for the brave)
and ADSM7EC-v3
Just tried them myself. The 'long' version sounded a little thin on male vocals in the midrange, and a little off putting in some way (maybe slightly mechanical/unnatural) . OTOH 'xla' is kind of interesting. More musical and unusual clarity of reverberations, would be my initial impression. Would like to have some other people listen to it as well before saying more.

Last edited:
EDIT: I think the reason for wanting to take a look is to see whether differences reported subjective/discrimination of modulator and or upsampling filter sound could be attributed to, and or correlated with differences in noise visible on a scope. In retrospect, maybe not very likely. The differences found in reproduction of space/sound-stage were pretty subtle in comparison to the 8-bit resolution of a digital scope.
Any half-decent soundcard is able to measure the out-of-band noise up to fs or even up to 96kHz.

Tried that after the transformer. No spurs, just a flat noise. Some of it just scope amp noise above 1GHz. Tried shorting the probe, removing the probe from the scope, etc. Environmental and scope amplifer noise dominate.

I would expect quantization noise to dominate from a hundred kilohertz or so to a few megahertz, but if I understand you correctly, you see no difference between DAC connected or probe shorted even there. Thanks for trying!

Okay, Here are some pics playing real music using Simple DSD Converter. There are two frequency span ranges. Cursors indicate FFT frequency:

1694027634502.png

1694027651095.png

Kinda looks like some aliasing at lower sweep rates. Maybe I can do something about that, have to see.

Last edited: