Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Can you please drop the schematic here? Looks like a local OPS oscillation ti me.
Here it is.
Mine is a test board with one pair 2sc5200,2sa1943 installed.
All Ostriper's IPS,CFA&VFA tested on this board.

Attachments

• Slew-main-schema.jpg
    Slew-main-schema.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Hi Thimios,

I ran simulation of Vertical CFA front-end with Slewmaster OPS.
Slewmaster adds a pole at 6.7MHz, which is not the case with NS-OPS, allowing lighter compensation, than Slewmaster would require.

Please make C12, C15 = 100pF - this should eliminate that pole's influence on amplifier stability.

Cheers,
Valery

Hi Thimios,

Slewmaster adds a pole at 6.7MHz, which is not the case with NS-OPS, allowing lighter compensation, than Slewmaster would require.

Please make C12, C15 = 100pF - this should eliminate that pole's influence on amplifier stability.

Cheers,
Valery
6.7MHz! Exactly what the frequency counter measures
I will try this solution and report again.
I hope this wouldn't make this IPS slow.

Hi Thimios,

Cheers,
Valery
Unfortunately this IPS refused to marry the slewmaster.:(
Problem is exactly the same:(

VERTICAL VFA - another cool option

Guys, yesterday another idea came to my mind.

Since NS-OPS is a rather low-distortion one, why don't I try to exclude the OPS from the global NFB loop? The first picture outlines the "traditional" GNFB arrangement (upper scheme) and the one I just mentioned (lower scheme).

I have just removed the global NFB resistor and the lead compensation cap from the front-end board and added two resistors and two smaller lead caps underneath the board. The only feedback, connected to the OPS output is DC servo now.

You can see the measurements. Harmonics profile is "longer" now for sure - we see higher order components, however, their absolute level is low enough. It's still a "CFA-fast VFA", performing very accurate transients handling and low IM distortion.

Sound-vise, I notice less speaker damping an the low frequencies - bass is still punchy, but a little bit "softer" - on some tracks sounds even more pleasant, than the tightly-controlled one. Mids and highs are as detailed as they were before, however, there is some barely recognizable "signature" here. Difficult to say, what exactly it is - I'm listening to one channel now - but it seems to me, the tone balance is just very slightly different.

If I would have an A/B testing system, as good as Terry has - I would probably be able to have a clearer comparison. Anyway - worth trying!

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• 01-NFB.JPG
    01-NFB.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 05-bode-1MHz.JPG
    05-bode-1MHz.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 664
  • 10-thd-001khz.JPG
    10-thd-001khz.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 650