• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

RTR SSR Speaker Protection GB 4

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
Jhofland has confirmed with a verification build that the new IXYS optically coupled gate driver works! We can proceed to production now. The cute little bonus board low capacitance PSU for instant shutdown is shown populated here, but is left unpopulated for the GB. It’s just a few simple parts. Diodes, 22uF cap, resistor, LED and some Molex jacks. Or you can solder flying leads directly.

BF8B630A-F7D9-4E17-AF9C-E949A52EE4DE.jpeg

Please update the GB list to show if you have placed a pre-order.
Thank you.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Great news X,

I copied the latest list from page 2. I have verified that 3 pairs are in my cart and paid for. Noted by ** below

XRK971 2 USA
Raymond1 2 France
Francois G 2 USA
Vunce 2 USA
Kokanee 6 (3 pairs) Canada**
mahtew 6 Poland / preordered
Ipolyakov 2 USA
zman01 4 USA
Cambe 2 USA
Nfsgame 2 Germany
JJGB 2 Finland
urien 2 USA
Edgar 3 Norway
pwagner 2 USA

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The RTR SSRs Gen 2.3 have arrived and look great. We had to change the voltage regulator and the optically isolated MOSFET gate driver (even had to use through hole ones) to get this project to work. This parts shortage is really a huge problem.
1641412031878.jpeg

1641412048982.jpeg

Plus you get these nifty low capacitance PSU’s that will prevent turn off thump.
1641412178656.jpeg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Perfect timing X, these DC protection boards just worked flawlessly and saved my FAST TL speaker from a meltdown!! I've been playing around with a DC coupled CFA amplifier for some time and its behaved nicely up to this point. I decided to crank up the volume today and have a listen. Less than 1 minute ..... POP, FIZZZZZ!!! Like a small Grucci Fireworks display on one heatsink. The SSR Protection board green LED immediately went out.
I swapped in a "safe" amplfier and powered up, speaker is saved and still sounds wonderful. Installing these protection boards is a little bit of extra work during builds and most of the time never get called into action, but when an event like this happens (my house still stinks of burnt electronics) I'm sure glad they were installed. Wonderful design Jhofland, JPS64 and XRK.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I have been waiting for the Molex KK 2pin shells to arrive to ship with the RTR SSR’s. There is currently a global shortage of this part. It won’t arrive for a long time so in the interest of getting you your SSRs so you can use them (if you have Molex KK’s already or can improvise with DuPont style connectors), I will send them out without the usual connector shell. I’ll give you the crimp pins which could be used in a pinch with shrink tube covering. If you don’t mind waiting another 2 weeks let me know. For now I’ll send them out unless I hear otherwise.
Thanks,
X

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X, confused by " If you don’t mind waiting another 2 weeks let me know."

Wait 2 weeks for what, the Molex 2 pin shell or the crimp pins.?

Either way, I can use the boards with either connection.:) Depends on what the masses determine for sending out the boards.
MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I shipped out about half of the SSR orders yesterday, except for those where customers specifically asked me to delay shipment. One thing I noticed about the latest set of boards in GB4 now Gen 2.3, is that the power input connector has polarity that is flipped from previous generations. It is clearly labeled but please note that you cannot take a power connector from the earlier generation and plug in directly. I included a note in each package to warn of this change. I think the change was caused by parts change to the voltage regulator due to the global electronic supply shortages. The positive pin is on the right side now.

1642004408055.jpeg

There is a quick workaround for this if you want to use an older power cable and connector already built: the plastic base of a Molex KK jack can be pulled straight up off the pins. Rotated 180deg and replaced so that the lock tab now faces front. That will keep the polarity the same relative to the old plug orientation. That’s up to you if you need to do it vs making a new connector assembly.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
I just got an update from Mouser that my order of Molex KK 2pin shells and crimp connectors will not be available until August 2022.

I think this is a case where resorting to a Chinese clone of the KK is fine. You can order yours from Aliexpress here. Price is about 20x less too

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mONGBJS
I’m going to ship out the remaining orders then that were waiting for connectors. Except for the one that was on hold due to to vacation/travel plans.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There must be a clear hookup diagram somewhere in all the RTR SSR threads, including power supplies? I’ve been looking but haven’t found it yet.

Specifically, I’m thinking of building the SSR into my loudspeakers which have external cross-overs. Is this a feasible/good idea?