Russian PIO caps. Should I use them?

Sorry to wipe the dust off this tread! But i feel it could be interesting to know if any have been comparing the MbM paper in wax alu foil types to the other, more well known, Russian caps? What are the opinions?

And also. I Have two sets of FT-3's that really fell trough. After a couple hundred hours they started to sound very grainy/distorting in my dac. They was sounding quite all right at the start, and opening more and more up, but then quite suddenly...
I replaced them with K40Y//Mundorf SGO's and got a wery transparent sound, still with the warm lush and textured sound i really love... But the FT's promissing sound before the distortion haunts me. Any knowings about that problem???

Interesting reading this. I have .1uf FT-3 caps bypassing 2.2uf Sonicaps on my Eminent Tech. Planar tweeters and it sounds grainy almost MP3 like on high hats and cymbals. Started happening recently. I wonder if it is the caps. I have been trying to figure out the problem with equipment and cable changes but keep coming back to the speakers. Maybe there is something here!

I'd never recommend paper capacitors as they will degrade with time. If not hermetically sealed they will absorb moisture and change value, become lossy and leaky. And paper will oxidize over time anyway. Polypropylene will do nicely, doesn't need to be hermetically sealed either, will not go leaky, and most are self-healing even.

Any suspect old capacitors should be tested for leakage at the voltage they will be used at.

Interesting reading this. I have .1uf FT-3 caps bypassing 2.2uf Sonicaps on my Eminent Tech. Planar tweeters and it sounds grainy almost MP3 like on high hats and cymbals. Started happening recently. I wonder if it is the caps. I have been trying to figure out the problem with equipment and cable changes but keep coming back to the speakers. Maybe there is something here!

First time to quote myself. Ha! Have to take back what I said about the FT-3 caps. They sounded like MP3s on the highs because my Moode software was set to run Tidal via MP3. Duhh. Homer Simpson move on my part. Now set back to stream Flac everything sounds excellent.

Stinting or not its still paper. It has a limited lifetime - gradual degradation is likely, and this happens in storage too.
In absolute terms, correct.
However, in practice they last (or should) about a couple of hundred years.
After all we have books made of primitive paper that are a few hundred years old, and still in good condition!
The only capacitors that I ever seen fail - have been powersupply caps, or caps where they work in high power and in hot conditions.
Paper in oil caps in Audio, are almost always used for by-passing where there is negligible power involved.
For me ( In a valve/tube amp) a K40Y sounds better than any cap. ten times the price and on a par with the best of the exotic ones.
I use them exclusively and none have failed under constant few hundred voltgaes, nor faded or changed capacity.

Old books don't have to have low leakage and low dielectric loss do they? Nor do they have to have a constant low moisture content, nor do they get subjected to MV/m electric fields.

We don't use paper as an insulator any more these days for good reason. For instance impregnated paper used to be used in transformers and motor windings, now we use nomex (a relative of kevlar). Nomex "paper" is pore-free, tolerates high temperatures without degrading, is a very good insulator under high electrical stress for extended periods.

Similarly in capacitors we moved on from paper to other dielectrics which are superior in every respect (except perhaps recyclability).

Old books don't have to have low leakage and low dielectric loss do they? Nor do they have to have a constant low moisture content, nor do they get subjected to MV/m electric fields.

hate to drag this any more than necessary.
As I had indicated , in absolute terms, you are correct -
however in practice , the Soviet PIO capacitors in question, do not go out of spec. in a few tens of years.
The are glass sealed, well made and measure perfectly according to what they were designed for, after 50 years.
By no means did I compare them to new technologies or new exotic materials nor for use in anything other than audio amplifiers.
After all - this is "DIY-Audio".

Last edited:
Hi!
What are your thoughts on the parallel mixing of coupling capacitors? For example, from a Teflon and oil paper combo? How much does the sound affect if 1uF is included in the original circuit and I use multiples, e.g. 3-5uF?
I have only tried such a thing in powersupplies, never in direct coupling or decoupling.
My theory is this:
Different capacitors have slightly different characteristics, usually their characteristics vary gently and smoothly with frequency, this is acceptable to the ear. If I parallel two different capacitors, then overall change in characteristic of the combined capacitors may not be smooth against frequency.
I usually stick to one.
In powersupply smoothing, to filter out RF I may use an additional plastic capacitor in parallel with the Electrolytic ones, it is a compromise.

Hi Guys,
I bought this caps for my PP el84 Tube amp.
This caps have a mounting direction depending of the signal path?
Thanks

Attachments

• K40.JPG
    K40.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 319
50 years in storage is not 50 years at rated voltage... I'd be prepared for deterioration - worth testing after a few years to see if its a problem.

I've rarely seen any deterioration on sealed paper caps (K40, Sic-Safco, Gudeman, Vitamin-Q, Westcap, Hopkins... ) IF unabused (overvoltage, overheating) , and yes , they are VERY, VERY nice on crossovers ;)

All the sealed Russian caps test perfect in my experiance, zero leakage, even beyond their rated voltage. The MBM's are not sealed, and are almost always junk so ignore those.

None of the Russian caps have a direction marked (some people claim they do), but they dont. I always test them for myself on an oscilloscope to determine the outer foil.

Hi Guys,
I bought this caps for my PP el84 Tube amp.
This caps have a mounting direction depending of the signal path?
Thanks

As usual, one lead of capacitor is connected to external layer of the roll, another lead - to internal. That connected to external - should go to lower impedance point at the schematic (usually to output of previous stage, since its output impedance is lower than input impedance of next stage).
How to distinguish leads? Try to connect oscilloscope leads to leads of capacitor, at maximum sensitivity of scope. Then touch capacitor's case by hand. See difference in hand induced noise.​

All the sealed Russian caps test perfect in my experiance, zero leakage, even beyond their rated voltage. The MBM's are not sealed, and are almost always junk so ignore those.

None of the Russian caps have a direction marked (some people claim they do), but they dont. I always test them for myself on an oscilloscope to determine the outer foil.
Correct.
I do not recall them having any direction, nor any of the leads are connected to the casing.
I even used a 200V one in a 300V situation (by mistake ) for years, without any issues.
They are magic, best sounding signal caps for the price (and many times over).