Russian PIO caps. Should I use them?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Having read the whole thread now, I am puzzled by one matter.

Coupling caps - they are supposed to have negligible reactance over the audio band, yes?

:D..LMAO

Its like this:
Either if you hear a difference the equipment is useless.
You are imagining it.
The capacitors are rubbish.
The feedback is wrong.
Yawn...then again it could be magic or caps/rectifiers/etc can and do sound different and if you can't hear it then the equipment is veiled.

However this could all be wrong and there is no difference. Then again..and so it goes on.

So I select parts why, because I hear a difference even if I imagine it. :scratch1: but then again I could be wrong:confused::D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I went from K40Y PIO and K42Y to REL and Jantzen silvers in a phono stage. Big improvement.

Now you've done it...:eek:

You have let the nanites out of the circuit, you must expect to be hammered..:D
Get ye nanites back into the scifi book it can't be true..you have let the cat out of the bag! Tis not true I tell ye..the circuit it is defunked.:D

The feedback is not correct//:scratch1: even if I think I hear a difference I must resist the temptation..

It cannot be proved while in space and standing on your head whilst whistling the blue Danube..

You will be telling me next that caps burn in...well the sound changes over time...so what if it does.. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I went from K40Y PIO and K42Y to REL and Jantzen silvers in a phono stage. Big improvement.

inverse experience for me, went from mundorf silver/oil coupling cap to K40Y PIO in my SET amp , and i can listen trumpet and Sax again :)
for small signal my first choice would be VCAp TFT but very expensive to put everywhere in big value. next will be Clarity MR they do nothing particular that's why they are good but very big to fit. and third Russian Caps because they are the DEAL , inexpensive and lots of flavor (mica, PIO, Teflon, mylard, polystyrene ,)

a cap is just a filter , choose your poison :)

Last edited:
inverse experience for me, went from mundorf silver/oil coupling cap to K40Y PIO in my SET amp , and i can listen trumpet and Sax again :)

That doesn't surprise me... while the K40 is smoother than polypropylene caps, in my opinion it also lacks treble extension (doesn't have micro details).

Try FT-3 if you can, they are superb caps, with plenty of micro-detail and not harsh at all...

That doesn't surprise me... while the K40 is smoother than polypropylene caps, in my opinion it also lacks treble extension (doesn't have micro details).

Try FT-3 if you can, they are superb caps, with plenty of micro-detail and not harsh at all...

Unfortunately I couldn't find 0.47uf 600V FT-3 caps, and I need exactly that value for coupling. I was thinking about mixing Ft3 with K75 abut wasn't sure if it's ok..

My monoblockc are at the final stage of manufacturing. Thanks for all nice words as well as the critical :) I do not buil them by myself, I ordered them by local tube amp manufacturer, but I told him about your suggestions. I received a big package of K75-24 caps from Russia yestedray, these were the missing part, so I hope my amps will be ready this week. By the way, they work with 4 x El34 valves pro channel, connected in triode mode, first 10wpc pure Class A, all above up to 70wpc Class B. They will be balanced with Lundahl symetrical transformers and there will be a second regular rca input with Alps attenuator. Silver in teflon wiring and proper soviet caps as you can imagine. I build the specially for my Dahlquist Dq10 speakers which I adore. The third one will power up center channel in my HT. This will be a killer amplification :)

Attachments

• zdj-cie (1)fggf.jpg
    zdj-cie (1)fggf.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 1,565
Unfortunately I couldn't find 0.47uf 600V FT-3 caps, and I need exactly that value for coupling. I was thinking about mixing Ft3 with K75 abut wasn't sure if it's ok..

I tried bypassing K40Y PIO with FT-1 teflon and I wasn't happy with the result. Some combinations may work, most of them don't...

That is a nice amp you are building there!
You know, if the final stage is cathode biased, it is possible to safely double the value of the grid leak resistor, allowing you to use 0.22µ coupling caps instead of 0.47µ.
But K75 are good enough anyway.

Anyone compared the K75 or K40y to Jupiter Cryo Ht beeswax caps?? Would Jupiter caps be a major (or any) improvement over the russian tanks?

i don't like it at all as coupling cap , not as fast as MKP and expensive , real deal is the K40 for PIO ( but they are so big) or VCAP copper foil if you need small valueq ( too much money anyway for a cap)

clarity Cap MR have the best ratio perf/price for Coupling cap..:)

Anyone compared the K75 or K40y to Jupiter Cryo Ht beeswax caps?? Would Jupiter caps be a major (or any) improvement over the russian tanks?

I used both K75-10 & K40Y-9 (these K75 and K40 have many suffixes) in my homebuild Citation II with very decent sound. Too bad I havent tried Jupiter caps but I'm sure those beewax ones cannot last long in this amp because its inside is extremly hot. I could barely touch the metal case of those K75/K40 but they're still going strong after quite a long time now.
Compare to Mundorf SGO which I really like, these Russian caps cannot win but hey, the price is like 1/20 only :D

Does anyone here know if the voltage ratings on Russian caps are DC or AC? As they seem quite happy with DC at twice the marked value I assume it's AC, plus a generous surge allowance, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Sorry if this has been answered before - a search didn't find anything.

this is my last great discovery, the russian KBG-MN pio bypassed with small vishay mkp1837. I use these caps in speaker crossover for Electro Voice T35 tweeter. Any EV35 users here? Folks, this combo kicks *** :D I always thought that the EV T35 is a real screamer, not with these caps :nownow: They are very smooth sounding tweeters with LOTS of tons of air around the instruments. T35 sounds like a highend modern silk tweeter right now, I´m for real!!! I strongly recommend this caps combination for crossovers and horn speakers.

Attachments

• DSC_2109.JPG
    DSC_2109.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,624
  • DSC_2110.JPG
    DSC_2110.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 1,595
this is my last great discovery, the russian KBG-MN pio bypassed with small vishay mkp1837. I use these caps in speaker crossover for Electro Voice T35 tweeter. Any EV35 users here? Folks, this combo kicks *** :D I always thought that the EV T35 is a real screamer, not with these caps :nownow: They are very smooth sounding tweeters with LOTS of tons of air around the instruments. T35 sounds like a highend modern silk tweeter right now, I´m for real!!! I strongly recommend this caps combination for crossovers and horn speakers.

Yes seems horns do not fare well with high Q polypropylenes.
This guy Werner Jagusch sells similar cross-over filters:
++Crossover+ Frequenzweiche+für+Klipsch+Eckhorn+La Scala++Special+Edition+++ | eBay

Currently I am experimenting with bipolar electrolytics with similar effect.