Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Mechanically, it is fine.

To be honest I cannot remember the sound anymore. But I recall that on first impression, it seemed a bit rolled off/less lively * IN MY INSTALLATION*. My DCB1 is no longer stock, so definitely, things will be different for others. ( I have a Balanced to SE buffer as "stage 1", because my balanced source does not like to play with a balanced to SE cable.).

So, the change to the sonics may have more to do with the impedance that the input buffer I am using is playing into.

I suppose that would be a function of the length of the twisted pair wiring that I use to connect the control to the circuit?

One pair from the input buffer converting balanced to SE to the control, another pair from the control to the DCB1 input, and a third pair from the DCB1 output to the RCA jacks.

Since my phono section is not too loud, this would be easy to verify, just by bypassing the volume control: If there is a change for the better, it's the control, if not, it's the wiring.

The TKD measured between pins 1 and 2 ( ie in and out ) shows about 0.02 nF at lowest volume to about 0.6nF as volume is decreased. on the 2 nF scale.

The ladder pot on the same scale, and near full volume, the reading is -1.3 to -1.99 on the same 2 nF scale, but goes overscale on the last 6 or 7 stops. switching to the 20nF scale shows 0.6 on one click from full on, down to 0.13 at minimum.

I dont know why it reads funny on the 2nF scale.

The battery in the unit shows 8.8V

tkd
-
pin 1 to C : 0.07 2nF scale always
pin 2 to C: 0.07 3/4 on is 1.4 then change of scale to 20 nF and just below full near full is 12 nF.

allo

in 0.15 nF always 20 nF scale
out
full on 0.16 after 8 clicks 0.34
9 clicks below full, change scale to 200nF 1.2, 1.8, 2.7, 4.0, 6.0, -99.5 = 0.015 on 2uF scale0.03, 0.06 1.2 then off the chart

I'd think this could be it... the wiring would measure it pF, so it's not going to be a factor.

The other item might be the RCAs

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
10K ladder has output impedance like a 20K series [...]

Salas, sorry for highjacking the topic but:

I just read this... Is it always this way with ladders?
Searched dozens of websites for construction-tips, calculation etc. but never have I seen this statement. Went with elma's calculation sheet and put in 25K and 100K load...

Attachments

• AttenuatorLadder-us-rs-A4-calculator-t.zip
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 83