SB Acoustics Textreme

I was on ScanSpeak's site a couple of days ago and they're already showing their Be tweeters as "Discontinued" and replaced by new model #. Replacement models are Textreme or whatever they might be calling them.

Personally, I'm bummed to see Be tweeters fading away.

I was hoping the scanspeak discontinue warning was not going to apply to SB.

Our supplier of beryllium dome diaphragms – Materion – has suddenly, without prior notice and with immediate effect discontinued the beryllium sheet metal in the thickness we use for dome diaphragms. This causes a highly unexpected interruption in our ability to manufacture beryllium tweeters.
This has to give Focal a big marketing edge if they can still make their tweeters.
On the plus side 2 people have told me they love the textreme tweeters.

I was hoping the scanspeak discontinue warning was not going to apply to SB.

Our supplier of beryllium dome diaphragms – Materion – has suddenly, without prior notice and with immediate effect discontinued the beryllium sheet metal in the thickness we use for dome diaphragms. This causes a highly unexpected interruption in our ability to manufacture beryllium tweeters.
This has to give Focal a big marketing edge if they can still make their tweeters.
On the plus side 2 people have told me they love the textreme tweeters.

Is Bliesma also affected?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I think it could be a geostrategic decision of the USA, but I don't find any paper on this. No catastrophic weather problem like a burned/flooded factory.
But I found a french paper on the USA and its politic about critical material.
Beryllium is a critical metal.
Natural resources is a very interesting domain

We are talking about a single manufacturer here (Materion to name it) Take it as is but I've been told last year that they decided to move the factory from one state to another (financial reason) but their very few Be foil specialized worker(s) didn't follow... so maybe not a USA geostrategic decision after all ?

Yamaha are the ones who upset me. I was hoping the new hi-end speakers introduced, would naturally start the Beryllium manufacture process again, Heralding in newer versions of the ns2000 etc. I was told they destroyed the equipment - incredibly short sighted - just making updated ns1000/2000 drivers would have turned a pretty profit - anyway Zylon rubbish we got!

I thought the Yamaha Be were vapor-deposit not pressed mid/hi domes. And my NS-500YST 10" servo needed supertweeter assist like my Fostex F120A and Diatone P-610 alnico clone. So the Yamaha Be tweeters really weren't. (For comparison I have Paradigm Studio Be tweeters.)

Yamaha are the ones who upset me. I was hoping the new hi-end speakers introduced, would naturally start the Beryllium manufacture process again, Heralding in newer versions of the ns2000 etc. I was told they destroyed the equipment - incredibly short sighted - just making updated ns1000/2000 drivers would have turned a pretty profit - anyway Zylon rubbish we got!
The Zylon drivers sound fantastic!