• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SEN / CEN All JFET IV Converter Evaluation Pack

i also have silmic II (my first choice as well) and nichicon KG, but they are both 50V and quite large, so have to be mounted from below or they get in the way of the film caps. i tried this without soldering them in and they can actually be used as 'standoffs'. I will be trying these (sillmic II) on the CEN, but i was under the impression that due to being current mode and the particular circuit, that they would not have such an effect on SQ? as i also would not normally consider solid caps for signal coupling

the main question was whether polar caps would be a problem, i couldnt see why it would, but thought i would ask given the BOM recommended NP. so thanks for the confirmation.

if all goes well with this build i will likely get rid of the electrolytic caps altogether and use larger film caps.

ahh sorry i remember now, what was that obscure and hard to get brand of NP caps you recommended? i'll have to search the thread

Last edited:
mfrimu ___return
samoloko ___return
bohrok2610 ___return
ernesternest ___return
holminator ___keep
pchw ___keep
ujamerstand ___keep
BDL ___keep
mravinsky ___keep
Robert F_ return
Kevinkr_keep
maravedis____( )
ystkkmkr_____( )
CeeVee______( )
jameshillj_____( )

4 not show up yet : )
Thanks Samoloko.
Mark

I am skeptical about cancelling the leakage of one cap by another to make them zero.
Even if they do, you always end up with some noise which will convert to voltage by the R_IV.

That was why I did not want to recommend.
But I have not tried, so I also did (do) not want to discourage anyone to try either.
Maybe we all learn something.

Joachim, did your friend tried the SEN IV in his CD ?

Patrick

yeah good point, as due to 10-20% tolerances its unlikely that the leakage will be symmetrical. the problem is apart from the size, earlier i tested the silmic II 50v and nichicon KG 25 and 50 and the leads only fit through the holes of 1 of the 4 boards. the nichicon FG i have fit, but i dont have enough. i actually meant to mention that earlier, as without drilling them out, the hole size on these boards is quite limiting wrt what caps you can use.

that being said, the nichicon KG and silmic are on the large side as far as leads and physical size goes

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
mfrimu ___return
samoloko ___return
bohrok2610 ___return
ernesternest ___return
holminator ___keep
pchw ___keep
ujamerstand ___keep
BDL ___keep
mravinsky ___keep
Robert F_ return
Kevinkr_keep
maravedis____( )
ystkkmkr_____( )
CeeVee______( )
jameshillj_____( )

4 not show up yet : )
Thanks Samoloko.
Mark

CeeVee......Keep

Got my boards a few days ago...:D

Mravinsky__2 channel balanced SEN
necplusultra__2 channel balanced SEN
qusp__2 channel SEN (tentative)

dont know the price?, i forgot to get spares when i got mine, but wanted to make sure i was marked down

BTW the digikey order arrived so green light, so i'll be toying with this over the next coup[le of weeks juggling with family commitments and work. already mostly stuffed the SENs, just waiting on some silver epoxy and in teh meantime playing with the buffered reference experienents.

so james i'll send your stuff down. i notice he hasnt popped his head in for a while?