Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks, Salas.
Modified schematic attached.
Any comments are welcomed.

Would it be safe to adjust the output voltage without any load?
Or is it better to use a dummy load, say 220V 100W light bulb?

I prefer a dummy. It will be hard on the shunt element without. See to use an Ohmic load that will consume about 45mA (analogous to 2x6V6 pre channels). That is 15W dissipation. Maybe 2x 15k 20W resistors in parallel. What kind of Ohmic value that bulb gives when hot?

P.S. Having 175k, set the trimmer around 200R before installation, should get you to your target when going lower. Don't start high trimmer, so the Vdif will not tax the components until you fix it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If under 300V read some pages before, its with MJE350 and tested. Joshua is going to use a 400V smaller dissipation driver transistor and simulated with some differences in values, so its to be seen if it will work OK or it will need mods.

I prefer a dummy. It will be hard on the shunt element without. See to use an Ohmic load that will consume about 45mA (analogous to 2x6V6 pre channels). That is 15W dissipation. Maybe 2x 15k 20W resistors in parallel. What kind of Ohmic value that bulb gives when hot?

P.S. Having 175k, set the trimmer around 200R before installation, should get you to your target when going lower. Don't start high trimmer, so the Vdif will not tax the components until you fix it.

100W light bulb is way too much, 15W is closer to 45mA current draw. I'd rather use resistors. Anyhow 340V supply may well burn 220V light bulbs.

Last edited:
While parts are being ordered, I thought of a modification, separating L and R channels supply, for perhaps better sound image.
Any comments?

Attachments

• Shunt Reg 360V 50mA 2.jpg
    Shunt Reg 360V 50mA 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 730