Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Thanks for reply.
Which is your sound card?

Now that's a good question :D

It's an ASUS Xonar Essence ST. The card is very capable in its stock form, however I've added on my own expansion board that feeds the I2S lines out via LVDS. This goes into a galvanically isolated separate enclosure that contains an ESS9018 working as a DAC. This gives better measured performance than the PCM1792 on board the ASUS, especially with 192kHz stuff. Still the stock card is more than adequate all on its own.

As far as I know people have had good success with some of the RME and E-MU stuff too.

Stereophile has measured the ASUS stuff here.

ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX soundcards Measurements | Stereophile.com

Thanks Jason. When I have time I will create a txt file with the most common devices I use. that should make it easier. I am having a lot of fun learning Ltspice. I have a long way to go. I really need to learn how to use a layout program so I don't have to bug all you guys for help in that area. I have a laser printer coming this month so I will start etching again so I won't need someone to make gerbers. I would really love to learn to make gerbers. Board house boards are as cheap or cheaper than bare foil boards these days.

Thanks again, Terry

Now that's a good question :D

It's an ASUS Xonar Essence ST. The card is very capable in its stock form, however I've added on my own expansion board that feeds the I2S lines out via LVDS. This goes into a galvanically isolated separate enclosure that contains an ESS9018 working as a DAC. This gives better measured performance than the PCM1792 on board the ASUS, especially with 192kHz stuff. Still the stock card is more than adequate all on its own.

As far as I know people have had good success with some of the RME and E-MU stuff too.

Stereophile has measured the ASUS stuff here.

ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX soundcards Measurements | Stereophile.com
Thanks for reply.
It's about 180e....expensive toy:(

Speaking of IPS permutations, is there a spice model done for the Wolverine IPS? I tried putting one together from the schematic in post #599, but I can't get it to work. Maybe one of you can find the problem.

Thanks, Terry

For you , Terry ... I attached my latest .ASC for the "wolverine".
It is component compatible with the 1.3 layout , it might have a few component "tweaks". use any (semi)models in the circuit , it works
with just about anything (keens models - oem models - cordell .. etc.).

To answer 5th's question ... I test at 8 and 4 R , 1V input - (1/2 power).
The wolverine does about 5ppm 8R and 8 ppm 4R.
Wolverine is a "reverse" Badger , it's main improvement is saturation recovery.
PS - after Terry's Badger clipping - this had to be ! :D

I also test PSRR with 1V ripple (out of phase and in phase) @ a full 1hz-1mhz
sweep. Stability is assured with 75+ phase margin @ unity gain and at least
>-12db at 180 degrees (past UG).
And last ... I'll get a "ringing" square wave (or overshoot) and increase
compensation (overcompensate) by 20%. This will accommodate more
devices.

All resistors , capacitors and semi's are derated from 20% to 100%. These
circuits should last 20 years with just re-caps needed.

This might be my last post for (over)1 month ... all packed and ready to travel
1000+ miles :eek:
Tennessee is really home.. (even if I am a yankee) new yorker's can have NY! :p

OS

Attachments

• Wolverine.asc
    28.4 KB · Views: 185
Thanks OS,

I switched out the devices I don't have and the attempted to add them to the schematic. Not sure if that worked since they are in my library. I couldn't get this thing to clip. I raised the voltage to +-92V because I plan to run one at that rail. Even with 2.5V input I see 135V p-p and no clip. Probably doing something wrong. Interesting.

Attachments

• Wolverine 5-29.asc
    30 KB · Views: 102
For you , Terry ... I attached my latest .ASC for the "wolverine".
It is component compatible with the 1.3 layout , it might have a few component "tweaks". use any (semi)models in the circuit , it works
with just about anything (keens models - oem models - cordell .. etc.).

To answer 5th's question ... I test at 8 and 4 R , 1V input - (1/2 power).
The wolverine does about 5ppm 8R and 8 ppm 4R.
Wolverine is a "reverse" Badger , it's main improvement is saturation recovery.
PS - after Terry's Badger clipping - this had to be ! :D

I also test PSRR with 1V ripple (out of phase and in phase) @ a full 1hz-1mhz
sweep. Stability is assured with 75+ phase margin @ unity gain and at least
>-12db at 180 degrees (past UG).
And last ... I'll get a "ringing" square wave (or overshoot) and increase
compensation (overcompensate) by 20%. This will accommodate more
devices.

All resistors , capacitors and semi's are derated from 20% to 100%. These
circuits should last 20 years with just re-caps needed.

This might be my last post for (over)1 month ... all packed and ready to travel
1000+ miles :eek:
Tennessee is really home.. (even if I am a yankee) new yorker's can have NY! :p

OS
It is component compatible with the 1.3 layout
OS ,please post the exactly shematic and layout here, for this "wolverine",if possible.:)
Thimios.

Hi BV,

That makes sense. Wow, 184 p-p into 4R is like 1200wrms. Is the gain low on this amp? Most of the amps I've simmed clip with about 1.5-1.7V input. What has to be changed to raise the gain on this amp?

Thanks, Terry

Holy poop ... 92V rails !

Changing gain too much might compromise stability. R2/28 ---> 22k is OK for
nearly 40X gain.

I set most of my amps for 28X and they clip at 2V with (normal rails) :D.

Thimios/Terry .... Wolverine below - clips ... 170v p-p @ 92 rail ... 2.1v input

OS

Attachments

• 170vp-p.jpg
    170vp-p.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 509
  • wolverine1.3.jpg
    wolverine1.3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 532
  • Wolverine-V1.2-C.zip
    169.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Voltage gain - R28/R29 ratio.
But +-92 Ub means for optimally biased class B with 5 pairs output devices at least 90W heat in idle..Do you really need such power??

It's not that I need that much power, per se, but I have a Leach Superamp that I am going to gut and use the chassis and PSU for one of these amps. It has a 65-0-65vac 800va transformer so puts out about +-92v. It will be a fun experience if nothing else.

It's not that I need that much power, per se, but I have a Leach Superamp that I am going to gut and use the chassis and PSU for one of these amps. It has a 65-0-65vac 800va transformer so puts out about +-92v. It will be a fun experience if nothing else.

Make SURE your 100V caps are REAL 100v caps !! :D
Or , it might be an "explosive experience" :( .

PS - be aware that standard BJT outputs have a lousy SOA at that voltage. Only those
Semelab "super BJT's" (the only ones that even have >2a @ 90+V) would fit the bill.
Example - MG6331 ... http://products.semelab-tt.com/pdf/bipolar/MG6331%20MG6331-R.pdf
has 2.5A @ DC and 4+A 100ms when running 90+V rails. ON/fairchilds are not even in the same realm.
OS

Last edited: