Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

If you were looking for that perfect image for your Christmas card, how about Slewmaster Obsession.

:D

Attachments

• Slewmaster obsession.jpg
    Slewmaster obsession.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 822
What about R5 & R6?. What rating should those be? Should the values chage with rail voltage?

Thanks, Terry

Standard 3.9K for rails <50V ,4.7-5.6K for >50V. (10-12mA).

An IC that draws a higher current might load the zener's , requiring
the 3.9k (15mA @ 75V rails). You can use 3.3K - if it's 2W. For 1W
3.9 - 5.6K ... This amp has a larger zener decoupling since the IC is
doing the "singing". :D

PS - "bog standard" TL072 = 5ma per 12v supply.

OS

That's impressive Terry. Do you have a least favorite among them?

I suppose that would depend on what you are looking for. I have not finished proofing the Kryptons or the Tubsumo so I can't fairly judge those. The rest sound stellar so all I can recommend from is the build. CFA-XH is the easiest save maybe the Eyesee, but I haven't finished it. The Spooky and Symasui have a servo so they are the easiest to setup. The Hybrids require extra equipment and setup. The AX-14 IPS is from and Apex design and has the "super pair" that seems to be deemed problematic, but works great in this design.

Probably not much help but the best I can do.

Blessings, Terry

Terry,
One day I would love to drive out and visit and hear all these different versions on my own bookshelf speakers and see if they are really all so close in sonics that it might as well be the CFA-XH or Eyesee for simplicity? Perhaps a different set of speakers could show off the differences more clearly than you are getting with your current speaker choices. I am not saying anything is wrong with what you have, just that a very low distortion speaker may show things otherwise hidden in the speakers own distortion profile? No hurry on that, just a thought since you have more than enough of OS's designs to see if there is a sonic pattern to his designs.

ps. Great work on all those amplifiers and solving so many problems along the way.

Very good!

:)

Thanks to you and Mr. Marsh - better !

You commented the "H" bridge in the CFA thread. At that point I was
not to the same "level" - to get it right.

OMG - what a fast, stable amp. (below) - at least in the simulator ,
but thimios/still4givens test reflect well in this arena.

Almost done , to really look it over - in the morning.

OS

Attachments

• infidel-layoutbest.JPG
    infidel-layoutbest.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 589
The AX-14 IPS is from and Apex design and has the "super pair" that seems to be deemed problematic, but works great in this design.

No , the Baxandall is not "problematic" , in general. Just with the Sansui/
kypton-v and those gain and impedance characteristics.
Apex's is just a single stage LIN - no issue there.

Actually , the CFA-kypton used the same VAS and it was the best.

I have even tried the "super VAS" on my new "H" bridge and it flies.:)
But , not to the speed of a classic Hawksford.

Baxandall = 500V/us+

Hawksford classic = I actually hit 1.005Kv/uS (below) on this upcoming IPS.
The local feedback present in these exotic VAS's is the slew limiting factor :eek:.
OS

Attachments

• INfidel1Kslew.jpg
    INfidel1Kslew.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Infidel 1.0 - H bridge/ CFA killer.

Attached below - all done ! :crazy:

PS- toner people , look it over. Think I traced every connection while labeling.
This one has 2 diamond buffer rail X-overs - a bit harder (like 2 NAD amps
back to back).

OS

Attachments

• Infidel-V1.0.zip
    414.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Infidel-finished.JPG
    Infidel-finished.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 571
I suppose that would depend on what you are looking for. I have not finished proofing the Kryptons or the Tubsumo so I can't fairly judge those. The rest sound stellar so all I can recommend from is the build. CFA-XH is the easiest save maybe the Eyesee, but I haven't finished it. The Spooky and Symasui have a servo so they are the easiest to setup. The Hybrids require extra equipment and setup. The AX-14 IPS is from and Apex design and has the "super pair" that seems to be deemed problematic, but works great in this design.

Probably not much help but the best I can do.

Blessings, Terry
Terry pull out the super pair add the two diodes and listen this krypton-v .Now your listening test is absolutely necessary, believe me.

Last edited:
Terry pull out the super pair add the two diodes and listen this krypton-v .Now your listening test is absolutely necessary, believe me.

You joined the Sansui "cult" , Thimios ?? Ha , HA...:D

PS - I did consider embellishing the original design would detract from the
"classic experience". You could go one step further and use a JFET 1st stage input pair.
I will re-design "V" with diodes + JFET option.
OS

Last edited:

I'll try it. I already have the diodes installed.

Today kinda turned into a play day. It started with cleaning off my work bench and once I got all the stuff pulled out I couldn't help but get a picture. I needed a little break from chasing oscillation. I'll get back to work on it tomorrow if I can keep myself from building the Infidel. :D

What a range of "technologies" there!

Isn't that the truth. By the time we finish the Slewmaster series, there will be no stone unturned. :D

Blessings, Terry