Some Interesting Drivers, a New 3-way Project

My opinion is that resonator systems of any kind are bad. But I understand their effect (net benefit) is ok with passive 3-way woofers and subwoofers. PRs have more radiating area but are bad with high excursion, it is a good rule to use double number of passives to active(s). Location of the port or radiator should be on the backside or downside towards floor.

My simple measurements above have only anecdotal value, but give reason for further studies.

About passive woofers as reflex resonators... I can't remember seeing nearfield measurements, only simulations that miss all resonances and "midrange leakage".
It is difficult for me to accept that they would be problem-free

I happen to have a 10" sub with a passive radiator of same size with added mass. Both have pulp cone, Peerless XLS10. I have nearfield measurements below, not pretty at all... Measured indoors, so gp includes room effects. No xo or eq used. Added mass was per construction plans, obviously way too much...

View attachment 1328552
View attachment 1328553

It is raining today, so away with added mass and new measurements!
There is something 'in-between' a passive woofer and a passive radiator >
It is what I call an "Actively Assisted Rear Radiator". ( a form of bass reflex )
The basic concept is that of using a decent quality 4ohm Car Sub. of low Fs driven by a very high mH + high DCR inductor.
The 3 or 4 ohm DCR of the inductor raises the very low frequency impedance and renders the 'rear sub' as semi-driven. ( assisted )
Apon experimentation, I have found it extremely effective at producing VERY LOW FREQUENCIES. Rear mounting appears to be key.
Experimental tuning IS obviously required.
PS. High value inductance but also high DCR keeps cost low.

Reactions: 1 user