Spooky and Hellraiser SMD 60W amps (Wolverine compatible IPS)

Will the protection board be able to be used with the Wolverine?
The Wolverine was just inspired by me and was never fully integrated with protection in mind. It has the accessory connector for output Re (current)
monitoring and could trigger a external opto. The DC detect on my protection will still work with ANY amp , it just monitors the speaker outputs.
Thermal would still work , as it just monitors BE of a common MJE350.

I intend to make a arduino NANO based unit with the port expander to run multiple soft starts, power supplies , and output SS relays.
I would monitor all but current on a Wolverine , don't want to add the opto's to the MCU (digital only board).

Here is the plan - 2 main PCB's ...
board 1. MCU (Nano + I2C) with 3.3 and 5V regulators , led outputs , switches (reset/ON). You can unplug the NANO to update firmware.
Board 2. output SS relay board. Simple -just the opto, MOSFETS, DC detect circuitry.

The power supply , output stages , and an optional soft start already have the opto(s) built in. Thermal is the BJT thermally coupled to the HS.
Just connect the 3-pin cables for what you DO use. You can enable/disable depending on use.

I used the Toshibas 1942/5200 in my 8 ch leach amp for about 20years without a problem. I used a pair with 56+56VDC.
So Toshiba has been making them for that long ? wow !

OS

Lower THD,ok so ill install all 4...now to figure out how to match them.

how do i make sure the red leds are at the correct spec?

.how many ounces of copper should be specified in both IPS,OPS boards?
I've matched with one of those new cheap LCD component testers. Don't have a curve tracer.
DMM with hfe tester is close.

LED's? (below 1) , just power up with 5V + a 2K2 resistor . Anode of LED should be at 1.7 -1.9V.
I included 3 SMD values in both the Spook and hellraiser for their CCS Re's.

2 oz. is standard.
OS

ohh forgot the attachment...

Attachments

• Vled.jpg
    Vled.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 91
Now that I'm thinking protection (again). Speakers are damn expensive $$$ !!
DC protection and turn-on delay are almost critical !

Looking at JWilhelm's DC protect V4.3 (below) , it could be run independently (without the MCU).
Just add a 12V regulator to run it off a rail and trigger "speaker on" with a simple 5 second timer.
The overcurrent opto output on my OPS's could even be routed to "speaker on". Fully analog current/DC protection !
Of course , add jumpers to undo this for full MCU operation.
A pair of "Mini's" would not really need PS, inrush , or thermal. Add it later.
PS - I'll also need to add a 3-pin connector to my PS board for the rail voltages. I overlooked that... yikes !
OS

Attachments

• DC V4.3.jpg
    DC V4.3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 174
It can run standalone but it needs a latch to keep it off in case of DC. No use having a faulty amp reconnect itself to the speaker for another chance at frying it.

If it were to be fully powered from the amp's supply the HCPL2530 wouldn't be needed
But , I would want it to be re-enabled (made original) if and when I wanted to go full MCU. Yes , 2 bjt flip- flop for the reset.

Attachments

• flip-flop.png
    flip-flop.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 99
The detection circuit is pretty standard. The speaker relay is nothing new either. It might be neat to make this a full standalone protection system.

Timing is easier for me to do in the digital domain. Adjusting time is much faster adjusting microseconds than recalculating RC circuits and swapping parts but this could easily run on it's own.

Yeah , I don't want to go back later to find I should of done something differently. Like the "Beast" EF3 (below) , added base-stoppers for the bigger
drivers , and definitely added the opto for protection.

So , the "Ducks" are in line to integrate anything with anything else.
To get the "ecosystem" standardized will make future additions easy.
OS

Attachments

• Arcwelder-BEAST-EF3_PCB.JPG
    Arcwelder-BEAST-EF3_PCB.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Arcwelder-BEAST-EF3_schema.jpg
    Arcwelder-BEAST-EF3_schema.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: 3 users
can you estimate as to when you might have the protection scheem fully implemented.
I'm almost done with all the analog now.
Analog is all 4 IPS's (spook , hellraiser , infidel , and symasui). Infidel is based on the Wolverine , symasui is based on the old slewmaster symasui.
99.9% chance they will work perfect.
And the 2 output stages (arcwelder mini and beast).

There are 2 more "analogs".... both protection components , AC/softstart and the output (SS) relays.
Best to have the noisy, dirty AC/softstart as a separate board. Anything AC will be on this board ( relays , power resistor, MOV and the AC detect).
Opto in , opto out , ground and 5V for the optos - just control signals on a 6 pin connect and big fast-on or screws for AC ..... simple analog.

The speaker relay is also mostly analog , as I stated before ... it could even run independently (with a few hacks). It needs rail voltage and 5V for it's opto.

That leaves the digital.
I think a common China Nano will eliminate the need for the bootloader (most are "duinoed" already) .The USB plug/UART ,the crystal , regulator ,
all is integrated. Common and cheap.....
Looks like the only other components are the mcp23008 (port expander) and it's buffer (uln2803). If I opto the AC relays , I won't even need that.
Would be nice if I could just run "inrush" and pull-in" right from the Nano. Would not even need the port expander !

Since many of the endpoints of the protection are integrated on their associated PCB's , the digital can be super simple (with little SMD work).
"Estimate" .... ??? Since I have most of it built in my mind .... real fast if I choose ! But , I like to ponder any possibilities and take my time -
I'm not getting paid for it .... he he.
Edit ... I2C temp sensor ?? where and what is that ?

OS