SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

...................Today out of curiosity I disconnected the thermisters from the chassis connection keeping only the IEC earth connection to the chassis and I measure 9.22VAC between the 0S0F on the one reg (or preamp common) to chassis and 8.33VAC for the other reg to chassis.................

..................... The bridge would trigger a safe connection to chassis if V exceeds the forward diode V but otherwise there would be no connection. ...............
the 9.22Vac or 8.33Vac are repeatedly greater than the Vf of the diode bridge.
The diode bridge is passing that leakage current to the chassis 100/120 times a second.

The capacitive coupling between primary and secondary of the mains transformer passes current. If the secondary side is truly isolated, then you will find that the isolated side is at some elevated voltage with respect to "EARTH".

One can measure this floating voltage. Then swap the primary Live and Neutral and remeasure. Often one finds that the swapped gives a different measurement for the isolated voltage. Choose the Live and Neutral connection that gives the lower isolated voltage. This reduces the current flowing to Chassis and thence to PE.
OK then its best to just chassis connect using a CL60 for each channel like I have been doing. Thank you. nash
Use the diode bridge to limit the voltage during the Fault incident. I have no idea what voltage would be developed across a Power NTC during the kAmperes of a Fault incident.
I notice that N.Pass has fairly recently shown a preference away from the sole NTC as the MAG to Chassis link and now seems to prefer the diode bridge.

Last edited:
i've been talking to salas about this over pm but i think its better to do it here. don't want to abuse his patience :)

I have a raw psu from the FSP guide home brew in one box. want to deliver DC to the other box where both positive sslv's are feeding a BA3 preamp. I have two positive sslv in symmetry like salas told me to do. at least i think i am doing it right.

in the pictures you can see a blue wire in the ba3. that is a ground shunt in to both channels ground to make the 0 point. i think i am interpretating the reflektor D schematics right.

Both sslv's are working separately if connected to a dummy load.

when i connect both to ba3, only one delivers 24v, the other don't turn on the red leds and only gives 0.6v.

Before i went with this configuration, i had a problem with the raw psu and burned 2 resistors. don't know if this damaged something at ba3.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks for any help

BR

Last edited:
The first two pairs are my TX secondaries. Red and Black. That home brew PCB is a RAW PSU from the salas phono thread and the center diodes are conected to earth for noise purposes like in the RIAA (i think). I just haven't connected it yet to the TX earth and AC wall.

The two black pairs out from the RAW PSU are feeding the SSLV with DC volts.

The first two pairs are my TX secondaries. Red and Black.
are you using dual bridge rectifiers or centre tapping the two secondaries and using one bridge rectifier?
That home brew PCB is a RAW PSU from the salas phono thread and the center diodes are conected to earth for noise purposes like in the RIAA (i think). I just haven't connected it yet to the TX earth and AC wall.

The two black pairs out from the RAW PSU are feeding the SSLV with DC volts.
Are the two pairs of outputs in parallel or isolated?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To explain: You had a wrong plan in places. You married the Raw DC schematic (double mono positive polarity Raw) from the FSP phono with positive and negative SSLVs initially. When you needed two positive polarity only SSLVs to stack like batteries without any other real ground referencing paths (1Rs in RAW). Those shorted virtual ground to another ground. Because the FSP has two 0V +V separate regulators integrated to its phono channels has no conflict, but you needed - 0 + with midpoint "virtual" ground for your BA3. A potential benefit in some situations is what you now have (as corrected) can keep a cleaner PSU return path than conventional against ground loops.

Hello Salas.
I'm also building your shunt, but I'm finding difficulty to find the value of R 301, I need to pass a buffer b1, which is said to consume 0.02A 18V input
Through your pdf instructions I used:
d302A / d302B / D303 / D304 = green,
D306 / D305 = red
and R303 = 1.8k + 5k poti
r304 / 307 = 1R.
You could help you calculate the R301 and dummy load?
They are in confusion.

Sorry for my bad english