The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank you ra7 for the tips and descriptions! I really appreciate it. So now, it's time to acquire a decent soundcard. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks again!

I'm getting my Focusrite 2i2 out of the box. Old laptop having problems, now replaced. Just need to download REW or ARTA and put connection wires together.

Russellc

Thanks Kevin.

This has got me thinking whether a case can be made for pots with different calibration: P1 with fewer turns to set bias and P2 with finer adjustment for offset. Might make the two steps forward one step back dance simpler?

As you rightly said, I'll see :)

Cheers!

That's not how it works, both pots set bias and offset and both need to be the same.

I'm getting my Focusrite 2i2 out of the box. Old laptop having problems, now replaced. Just need to download REW or ARTA and put connection wires together.

Russellc

Just a suggestion:
1. Once you completed the loopback spectra to test that the connections are working properly, try connecting a 10K load (if it's a preamp and 8/16 ohm if its an amp) at the output of the device under test, say BA-3.
2. Use an attenuator after the load to limit the input to the Focusrite to avoid clipping.
3. Set output of the generator to get 1Vrms at the 10k load, and then adjust the attenuator to limit the input voltage to the FocusRite to prevent clipping.

I found out that using the connection I describe above, it is much easier to see the changes in amplitude of the harmonics as you adjust P3, then P1 and P2.

Will operator error strikes again. There was nothing wrong with my build. I just need to read the guide a little more closely and be patient adjusting the bias. I adjusted P1 and P2 to zero ohms and fired the amp up and started making my adjustments. Everything came into place and I was able to get it to bias at about 1v and offset was fairly close to 0. I will probably go back and check everything again later, but it is playing music.

Here are some pictures of my not fancy build. I wanted something that was more like the tube amps I have build in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 384
Nice build BRN. I would drill some holes where the heat sinks are to help with ventilation. Otherwise the hot air can get trapped in there.

Which output caps are those?

Ventilation is a good call. The base does have feet to allow air to flow under it, but adding vent to the top will only help.

The caps are Panasonic EZP-E 10uF that I purchase for another build, but never used. So far they sound good, but at the moment my hearing is jacked up. I had a procedure on my left ear and can't heat s#!t out of it.